• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

LUA TO EBOOT

Chilly Willy

Contributor
You don't. You either write your own C/C++ program that uses the Lua libraries to run the code, or use Lua Player to run the code. Most folks writing games in Lua use Lua Player since it exists for most platforms, including the PSP.

CoMbiNa

Wannabe Developer
Wait so you're saying that I can still make it in lua, and then create an EBOOT using C that loads the lua instantly?
So it will be as in if I ebootized it?

rabbit

Awesome
No, you can't just "instantly" run the Lua, you'd have to port the Lua interpreter to run your Lua script. Odds are that if you can port the interpreter, you're probably good enough to just write your Lua script in C. Just use Lua player.

Also, this thread is in the wrong section.

Chilly Willy

Contributor
Yeah, it should be in development.

There is really only one way to run Lua on the PSP - some program written in C or C++ that uses liblua/liblualib to load and interpret the Lua file. You can write that program yourself, or use LuaPlayer, which is a program already written which provides some functions to do things like graphics and music for the Lua script it loads.

Lua is not a compiled language and has no facilities for being a standalone app. You ALWAYS need some associated C/C++ app to provide functions to do system stuff (graphics, etc).

VEGAN0011

how do you get programs to run on Lua for the PSP ,i have Lua on windows and the demo's in the PSP Lua Player run on windows but not on the PSP which they are supposed to do ,its the latest PSP Lua Player, and i have have followed the instructions but nothing happens ,
should i have started a new thread for this or is it ok to ask in this one

Dark Adonis

Guys, i need your help. I have downloaded a lua game called The legend of hyrule: Linkens quest. No matter what lua player i use it doesnt work. some times it doesnt read the index.lua, other times it says something about "sound" a nil value" can any one help me out?
Ill appreciate any help. Thanks

---------- Post added at 03:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:54 PM ----------

Oh, sorry. i forgot to mention my psp runs on 5.50prome-4

ultimakillz

Teh Fett Mawn
figure our which interpreter the game developers used to develop the game, then use that. not all lua programs work on all interpreters.

ultimakillz

Teh Fett Mawn
well, honestly it should be included with the game imo, but if not it should mention in the documentation somewhere "this game is designed to be run on this interpreter" or something like that.

Dark Adonis

imo? whats that. all i know is that they bring readme files, and the one i have only says " use with lua player"

---------- Post added at 12:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:17 PM ----------

alright, lets do this. do you know about a lua player that runs most interpreters but works without fw 1.5?

Dark Adonis

thanks for you help. I know i might be a pain. Ill let you know if anything happens

---------- Post added at 09:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 PM ----------

Wait, I got the message: Ill have to check which lua runs the game. thanks

Dark Adonis

I have another problem. some of the lua players run on fw 1.5, and I was thinking of using Dark Alex's Time Machine. My only concern is: does it overwrites you actual fw(mine is 5.50) and downgrades it to 1.5?