• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Microsoft: Final Fantasy XIII 360 Was Square's Decision, Not Influenced By Money

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
ffxiii1.jpg

Rumors swirling around -- and unsubstantiated ones at that -- have suggested that Microsoft "paid" Square Enix to get them to bring Final Fantasy XIII over to the Xbox 360. It's not exactly a outlandish assumption, considering Microsoft has in the past compensated publishers in exchange for exclusive content. Grand Theft Auto IV rings a bell.

However, according to Xbox marketing manager Albert Pennello, the rumors are nothing more than hearsay:[blockquote2]Well, I think people assume a lot things about why Square made that announcement. I think the most obvious reason that they made the announcement is from just looking at the success of our console. We're the leading console on a worldwide basis, we're more than double the install base in the U.S. I actually think that it's a great partnership, you know Square has done games for us in the past and I think there's a point where Square just has to look at the Xbox 360, the install base, the attach rates we're seeing, and has to make a decision on their own that it's the right thing to do for them.[/blockquote2]Choose to believe him or not, it's up to you.

Albert Pennello on all things Xbox [MundoRare]

Sardu

<p>So the fact that they will make millions off the 360 version isn't a good enough reason?</p>

icedman204

<p>Sardu, you do realize Sony still leads in sales in Japan over the 360 right? so square wanting to go the M$ route is doing it for the European and American Markets where the 360 is dominating over the Sony Playstation.</p>
<p>To make things make sence, basically Square knows where the money is out side of Japan and that's with the 360 (the better selling console over the PS3 out side of Japan)</p>

Tetris999

<p>personally i don't see why people get angry over this, nor do people have to say that square did it because they didn't do it because they were paid to do it.</p>
<p>Dammit, its pretty obvious the XBOX owns in America; and if you had half a brain you would release your title for that console.</p>
<p>In the end, you dont need to say stuff like this to "defend" your image. Its just obvious why they want to release it for the XBOX.</p>