• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

More Computer Problems

Teowulf

<span style=height:2px;cursor:default;"></span>
Yep, so once again I am back with more computer woes. This time, it is pretty serious again, but this time I am not actually to blame.

So I have a bunch of friends over, and one of them is looking for a video clip from GTA 4, containing a radio broadcast he had heard and wanted us to hear (the Seance one on the PLR station or whatever it is). He's absolutely abysmal with all things technical, and is irresponsibly going around on internet explorer clicking all of the links he can find that look promising. He comes across a site that has a download, and of course, clicks it, thinking that "run" doesn't involve downloading.

At this point I came over to the computer (I had been over and talking to friends), and saw him downloading something, which had a suspicious name, and the site as a whole looked suspicious. I took over for him, and as soon as I did, a popup (looking suspiciously like a windows one, of course) comes up, and a whole program boots up called "MS Antispyware" or something like that, which I instantly identified as a virus (I'm not that stupid with software). I close out of it, terminate the program, run my CA Antivirus, which instantly comes up with about 20 different spywares. It later comes up with more spyware and more viruses, which I continually quarantine and delete.

An hour later I come back and it seems to be working fine, but was running unusually slowly (no more spyware was coming up in the scans though). So I thought to restart it. As soon as I get past the log in screen, an error comes up saying that it could not allow me to run "Microsoft Cabinet" (ie the taskbar and desktop and everything), and would then leave me on a blank screen with just my wallpaper. Ctrlaltdel works still, but accomplishes nothing. The warning is from PEB or something like that, which is meant to protect the computer.

Any advice/help? Please don't tell me I need to do another full fledged system recovery, do I?

Adiuvo

In the task manager hit file, then new process, and type in 'explorer.'

No harm in trying. Worst thing that could happen is that it won't work.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
No. How would I go about doing that? And is that safe? I mean, that is what the thingy is trying to block.

open the task manager via Ctrl + Esc and then go to File --> Run and type in explorer.exe

Start your computer in safe-mode and just go to your Remove Programs in Control panel and see if anything new has been added, if so remove it. Also use your anti-virus at this point (I use Avast which has a boot scan which scans the computer before entering into Windows).

Also Vista or XP? You can try using System Restore if you have it enabled (do it through safe mode if you are able to, if not insert the Vista/XP CD/DVD and it should have a way for you to run System Restore)

Teowulf

Hmm, now I'm even worse off then before. Now when I try to log in, whether in safe mode or normal mode, it instantly logs me out and doesn't even give me a chance to do anything.

Hanzo_f19

[insert custom user title here]
download some sort of boot CD with a fwe anti-vire/spyware and re-check everything again. That cannot be clean

Andy

Champion of the Sun
Hmm, now I'm even worse off then before. Now when I try to log in, whether in safe mode or normal mode, it instantly logs me out and doesn't even give me a chance to do anything.

That's what happened to my old comp a while ago. I never got a chance to figure it out though, my parents took it to a computer repair store without letting me know =/

Have you got any system restore disks? They might come with a repair option, worth a try.

Teowulf

Ok, so I still get logged out whenever I try to log in now. I can't do anything with explorer and such. It seems like the only option I'm left with is a system recovery (about my 2nd or 3rd on this computer in the past couple of months), which I still would rather not do since I'm not exactly sure how to back up my data.

El Diablo

Do you have another computer? You could put your hardrive in it (not as the main one) and copy and back up everything you needed to, then format it and reinstall windows and put the stuff back on if you needed to.

Also, Firefox > IE :p.

Teowulf

Do you have another computer? You could put your hardrive in it (not as the main one) and copy and back up everything you needed to, then format it and reinstall windows and put the stuff back on if you needed to.

Also, Firefox > IE :p.
Not another working desktop. Posting from a laptop right now.

And yes, I'm well aware. The fact that he was using IE in the first place shows his naivety.

futuregator15

Lovin OS X
you could use a boot CD like ubuntu to be able to access your files and copy them over to an external drive. Then you could try system restore

Also, if you don't want to do a full system recovery, then try to download a boot CD with an anti-virus on it. Although I have to admit, I have never gotten one of them to work for me

have you try loging in administrator on safe mode? and see if it will let you in desktop.

Also do you got any extra hard drives laying around that you can use as main HD for now?

Teowulf

Bump. Anyone have any good boot disks?

Or anyone have any other possible solutions to my problem?

ChurchedAtheist

Your resident psycho hobo
they are on the torrents. not sure which ones are legit though. MS used to(and might still) host an iso of the disk on their site.

Cryox

Bro.
well, if you get it off a torrent, try the first one that pops up with the most seeds/leeches. that should show that it is legit. plus comments and description ;)