• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

New to all this, help appreciated

easy

Hello,

I posted my own topic since it wasn't a Q/A topic like I thought, just a FAQ, and didn't see an option to delete the other post.

I am new to to this and need some guidance, I've read through a few guides for the last hour or so but don't know where to start.

I have the PSP fat version with original firmware version 1.50.

This is what I want to do before I get started:
--play a backup ISO
--working emulators (nes)

I have a couple questions first.

1. Does a magic memory stick need to be different than the one I use to play games?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A question before I get started,
2. Should I get a pandora battery and magic memory stick created before I try any of this?
I don't have access to someone elses PSP to do it in case things go wrong.​

It also must be a Pro-duo and in size terms no smaller than 512mb, cards of 4gb can be used although (in my view only) can be a waste of space. I have 3 or 4 MS, with my regular 'Gaming' stick being 8gb.

3.. When I go to game>triangle>information it doesn't even mention the word magicgate at all on the 256mb MS I use just capacity/used; wouldn't it at least state not supported/unknown if it was fake? I bought it from Wal-Mart.

4. I know I need a bigger memory stick to get an ISO to fit. Just curious if I need to buy two if the 256 one I have now cannot be a magic MS and if I need my gaming/magic MS sticks to be separate.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am confused by all the custom firmware such as m33, gen-; HEN, and iso loaders.​

5. Whats the first step? I understand I need to install a custom firmware, do I do this first? Which one is better, m33/gen? I'm confused.

If CFM is first, then what do I install next?

Deathrow

Ill only answer a few of these for reasons known if you have properly read our rules.

Firmware 1.50 is a lowest international firmware (JPN: 1.00). You can do all sorts of things and its been a long time since I've been on 1.50. Alternatively you could use a Pandora and MMS but it's not necessary. You can use the 5.03 exploit known as ChickHEN v2. You'd boot ChickHEN v2 (or whatever version for the phat) and use a program called Custom Firmware Enabler. This will flash (I think?) whatever firmware you desire to your PSP. I suggest either 5.00M33-6 (created by a well known Spanish hacker Dark Alex) or go with one of the french GENyUS firmwares created like 5.50GEN. Follow instructions CAREFULLY and google a lot. This is your only warning because noobs that don't follow up on their procedures will fuck up their PSPs and cry and post more random crap in these forums. I have witnessed this several times and by the 80th time or so, its get real old lmao.

Upgrade to firmware 5.03
Use ChickHEN v2 exploit
Boot CFWe
Flash Custom Firmware

After you flash a custom firmware you may search for the homebrew emulators around these/other forums.

As for ISOs, this forum does not support piracy. Please refrain from asking for ISO help as it's against the rules to do so.

For the memory stick, 256mb is very very very small. If you want a lot of programs and homebrew, I suggest a bigger memory stick like a 2gb or 4gb. Or if your low on cash, 1gb is probably fine too. A Sandisk Magic Gate 2gb stick (Official, you can buy them at your local Game Stop retailers) go for around $20. 4gb are roughly $39.99.

A Sandisk Magic Gate memory stick is somewhat needed simply because some of the homebrew loaders etc only run on this format. I suggest that if you plan to upgrade your memory stick, its a Sandisk w/ Magic Gate.

Hope this helps and please reads the rules and don't reak havoc youngster. :)

EDIT: Here's a good post for beginners like you: http://forums.exophase.com/showthread.php?t=10173

easy

As for ISOs, this forum does not support piracy. Please refrain from asking for ISO help as it's against the rules to do so.

I read the rules, it mentioned no illegal rom/iso file distributing/requesting/links, nothing about discussion, my post seems to be fine under the rules.

I also have a purchased a copy of the ISO I'm referring to.

:edit:
Where can I buy a battery able able to be pandora'd? eBay seems to just have generics.

Adiuvo

ISO help/discussion is allowed here, however linking to them is not as is the case on most forums.

El Diablo

If you are on 1.5 FW you shouldn't need a pandora battery or MMS. I think you should be able to just upgrade to one of the m33 firmwares, then upgrade to the most recent CFW.

As for ISOs I haven't used any on the PSP in a while but what I remember from when I used to use my PSP a lot, I think you just need a folder called ISO on the root of your memory stick and put them in there, then they should show up under the game menu on the xmb (I think anyway, I'm not positive if it still works like that).

http://forums.exophase.com/showthread.php?t=19379 This guide has a lot of the information in it that you would need. I think there is a separate one for getting to 3.xx m33, then from there followed the post in the guide to get to 5.0 m33-6. If you're on 1.50 you shouldn't need a pandora battery to be able to update to the CFWs, you also wouldn't even need to go to CFW if you just wanted to use emulators.

easy

If you are on 1.5 FW you shouldn't need a pandora battery or MMS. I think you should be able to just upgrade to one of the m33 firmwares, then upgrade to the most recent CFW.

As for ISOs I haven't used any on the PSP in a while but what I remember from when I used to use my PSP a lot, I think you just need a folder called ISO on the root of your memory stick and put them in there, then they should show up under the game menu on the xmb (I think anyway, I'm not positive if it still works like that).

http://forums.exophase.com/showthread.php?t=19379 This guide has a lot of the information in it that you would need. I think there is a separate one for getting to 3.xx m33, then from there followed the post in the guide to get to 5.0 m33-6. If you're on 1.50 you shouldn't need a pandora battery to be able to update to the CFWs, you also wouldn't even need to go to CFW if you just wanted to use emulators.

I want pandora more for the brick protection than for updating CFWs. I need CFW to play an ISO I have; emulation used to be all I did so 1.5 worked fine.

Adiuvo helped me with upgrading to 5.0 m33-6, thanks; with the flash tool thing you go straight to 33-6. I'm pretty much good now till the battery and 2gb ms I ordered comes in.

Deathrow

ISO help/discussion is allowed here

I think that's a little wack in my opinion.

But ill help you on the battery :)
Try a company named Datel, they got pandora batteries for 1000 and 2000 models.

easy

I think that's a little wack in my opinion.

But ill help you on the battery :)
Try a company named Datel, they got pandora batteries for 1000 and 2000 models.

I noticed that, but I couldn't seem to find one. Pre-pandora'd or not.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
I noticed that, but I couldn't seem to find one. Pre-pandora'd or not.

That's interesting, it appears Datel no longer sells their service TOOL battery direct. You could try DealExtreme. Just be warned they are often slow at shipping.

Like Adiuvo said, if you can find someone local with a hacked PSP who will do the converting for you, that's your best bet.

easy

Yea I found dealextreme but I didn't want to wait that long, I found another battery to use.

I have the MMS fixed be able to install 5.00 M33-4.

I did the write serial to backup then pressed o to covert battery. It said 'pandora'd' and will go to the service menu.

It will also go to the XMB menu if I don't hold up 'UP'. I thought it wouldn't do anything else after you turn it into a pandora battery?

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
It will also go to the XMB menu if I don't hold up 'UP'. I thought it wouldn't do anything else after you turn it into a pandora battery?

This is because the memory stick IPL is configured to boot into the XMB unless UP is held. Early revisions of the hack didn't have such a option.

easy

This is because the memory stick IPL is configured to boot into the XMB unless UP is held. Early revisions of the hack didn't have such a option.

Oh...so are you able to use the pandora battery normally without converting it back to a normal battery?

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Oh...so are you able to use the pandora battery normally without converting it back to a normal battery?

As long as you have your memory stick inserted with the Pandora files on it, yes.

january39

eXo Staff

Ahhh the good ol days :p

As long as you have your memory stick inserted with the Pandora files on it, yes.

Specifically the Multi-ipl or the TM-IPL which can be installed independently of the actual pandora program i.e. DC8 this way you can leave battery in pandora but use other cards in your PSP - i used a 8gb card for gaming but a 512mb card for my MMS.

easy

Thanks for the help.

Anyone know where I could find the DLC to killzone liberation? It's a patch+level 5, it was free content.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
Thanks for the help.

Anyone know where I could find the DLC to killzone liberation? It's a patch+level 5, it was free content.

I believe it's in Killzone Liberation itself. You go through an option to update or something. Honestly though, it's been years since I played it and I've sold my UMD so can't check for you.

Deathrow

I believe it's in Killzone Liberation itself. You go through an option to update or something. Honestly though, it's been years since I played it and I've sold my UMD so can't check for you.

I can confirm this. It's actually 2 updates, one for the multilayer and for the 5th chapter.
I think the total of the two is like 80mb or something close to that.

elite

Oldie moldie
Yeah, the online patch is around 8 Mbyte, and the latter is around 60 Mbyte. Also, you can download them regularly from the PC, then later install them with Killzone. You just have to search for the right link.

easy

Yeah, the online patch is around 8 Mbyte, and the latter is around 60 Mbyte. Also, you can download them regularly from the PC, then later install them with Killzone. You just have to search for the right link.

That's what I'm looking for, I can't connect to PSN.

It should be allowed to give me a link if you knows of one, it was free content. I didn't have any luck with google, a couple dead link megaupload files

:edit: someone sent me a link, thank you