• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Gaming New Xbox Rumors Emerge

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team

Someone by the name of SuperDaE has come forward with some interesting details on Microsoft's next Xbox, currently code-named Durango. SuperDaE supposedly has access to a development kit and corresponding documents detailing retail capabilities.

According to these newest round of rumors: The Durango will come bundled with a new version of Kinect that is capable of tracking more players and more points on those players.

Continue reading...

hush404

Other sites I've heard this kind of info from say the installs are more of a full game install rather than just data packets to help loading. Which would make sense with the packed in 500GB... but man that would be used up quick if such a thing was in place.
I like the idea of switching to apps while in game (much like the vita allows), as long as Microsoft doesnt cut support for various apps like they did with a bunch on the 360...
Ack. I hate rumors as we all fear them before hearing official news.

Trigun

That guy, who Records Music.
The more rumors emerge about this. The less I want one.

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
I don't like the sound of forcing kinect to be plugged in, just one more thing i've gatta bring with me to a friends house.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
I don't like the sound of forcing kinect to be plugged in, just one more thing i've gatta bring with me to a friends house.

It is indeed very annoying - reminds me specifically of the Wii's sensor bar which was always annoying. It'll be interesting to see how the Kinect will interface with the new Xbox in terms of expanding the user experience. Hopefully it'll have a smaller footprint / profile though - the current kinect's size limits where it can be placed in your setup.

I honestly believe the majority of these rumors though - they're pretty solid and make complete sense for the successor to the Xbox 360. I expect to see some form of the Metro UI on the platform since Microsoft is streamlining their devices across all platforms.

@hush404 - yeah, I meant to make that clearer in the article. It seems like it will be full game installs. However with the rumors of adding a blu-ray drive it'll be interesting to see how much space each game will take up (anywhere from 7gb - 25gb per game is my guess).

Moose

Meta Moose
The only reason I am skeptical about the Kinect having to be connected at all times is because I'm still not convinced that the functionality is there for consoles to go controller-less just yet. I never got on with the Wii's controller and I always found Kinect on the 360 to be very hit and miss - that's to say I didn't feel like it made navigation, etc. easier or more enjoyable. There will obviously be improvements with the Kinect system on the next console, it's just a case of whether these improvements will overcome problems I've had with it in the past.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
The only reason I am skeptical about the Kinect having to be connected at all times is because I'm still not convinced that the functionality is there for consoles to go controller-less just yet. I never got on with the Wii's controller and I always found Kinect on the 360 to be very hit and miss - that's to say I didn't feel like it made navigation, etc. easier or more enjoyable. There will obviously be improvements with the Kinect system on the next console, it's just a case of whether these improvements will overcome problems I've had with it in the past.

Don't think their aim is for them to go controller-less. It's just an added function that devs can play with - the camera and microphone at least. It won't work in all situations so they can't push it too far (the distance requirement for it eliminates it from being used as a motion-capture device in any desk setup.