• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Obama to Seek New Assault Weapons Ban

Kyle0wnsyou

Lavate las manooos!!
I highly doubt the AWB is about CRIME.

It's about who's allowed to make money off of the sale of these weapons.

Let's think about this. If the US bans AWs for US Citizens, does that mean the US military and the US Gov get to keep selling them? OF COURSE IT DOES, and now all competition has been squashed, courtesy of the United States Government.

soha

I highly doubt the AWB is about CRIME.

It's about who's allowed to make money off of the sale of these weapons.

Let's think about this. If the US bans AWs for US Citizens, does that mean the US military and the US Gov get to keep selling them? OF COURSE IT DOES
Selling them to who?

Kyle0wnsyou

Lavate las manooos!!
There are hundreds of thousand of Americans who own this:
Why do they own it? because they can.

This is absurd. Why would you use it in an argument?

---------- Post added at 11:40 AM EST ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 AM EST ----------

Selling them to who?

Global weapons market?

Israel?

Anyone who wants to fight on our side, for now? (Iran in the past, Bin Laden in the past) Cmon now, get educated.

soha

They have no other use apart from killing a protected human, of course they need to be banned.
By your logic, if I made a bullet that lit people on fire but I never shot it then it should never be banned because it's not a problem yet? You have some funky, funky ideas.
If a person thinks about killing another human being, but never does it, should he be punished for that? By your logic, shouldn't free thought be banned because we might think about harming some one - even though we probably never will?

Chathurga

If a person thinks about killing another human being, but never does it, should he be punished for that? By your logic, shouldn't free thought be banned because we might think about harming some one - even though we probably never will?

I can't kill people with thoughts, I can with an amour piercing bullet.

soha

This is absurd. Why would you use it in an argument?

---------- Post added at 11:40 AM EST ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 AM EST ----------

Global weapons market?

Israel?

Anyone who wants to fight on our side, for now? (Iran in the past, Bin Laden in the past) Cmon now, get educated.

But the weapons that are being sold to american people are not the same as the ones that are used in the war zone. They look the same, but function very differently.

---------- Post added at 11:46 AM EST ---------- Previous post was at 11:45 AM EST ----------

I can't kill people with thoughts, I can with an amour piercing bullet.
Of course you can't, but because you are able to freely think, your thoughts may turn into actions.

Kyle0wnsyou

Lavate las manooos!!
an AWB may not completely prevent the illegal sale of those weapons in the US, but it certainly makes it more difficult, which couldn't be a bad thing.

soha

I live in northern Minnesota where virtually everyone hunts, and I don't know of anyone who owns a fully automatic assault rifle.
GOD FUCKING DAMMIT I AM RAGING SO HARD. WE ARE DISCUSSING SEMI AUTO RIFLES. Fully auto riles have been banned since like 1934. also notice that i didn't attach my image in that other post

Chathurga

Of course you can't, but because you are able to freely think, your thoughts may turn into actions.

Ehh... okay, what are you talking about?

Armour piecing bullets can only be used to kill people, so why not ban them? Even if one death is prevented, wasn't it worth it?

Mr. Beefy

Suck It Trebek
GOD FUCKING DAMMIT I AM RAGING SO HARD. WE ARE DISCUSSING SEMI AUTO RIFLES. Fully auto riles have been banned since like 1934. also notice that i didn't attach my image in that other post

I don't consider semi-automatic guns (for the most part) "assault rifles". I can understand them banning clips with 10 or more bullets though. If you can't hit your target with the first nine shots, probably not going to hit it with the 10th.

Serideth

This is probably going to sound unacceptable to most of you, but I always wondered why a specific home defense gun wasn't made, a gun that didn't fire armor piercing rounds but would be enough to deter any criminal who broke into your house.

These would be available to the general public (well those without a police record).

Having this would mean all other hand guns and assault rifles would be banned (bar the army/police). There isn't a need for them.

Andy

Champion of the Sun
This is probably going to sound unacceptable to most of you, but I always wondered why a specific home defense gun wasn't made, a gun that didn't fire armor piercing rounds but would be enough to deter any criminal who broke into your house.

These would be available to the general public (well those without a police record).

Having this would mean all other hand guns and assault rifles would be banned (bar the army/police). There isn't a need for them.

Like a taser?

soha

Well, the only handgun that I know of that was made specifically to fire AP rounds is the Five-seveN (don't worry, only non ap rounds are available to civilians) Pretty much any handgun can fit the description of the gun you described.

Serideth

Well, the only handgun that I know of that was made specifically to fire AP rounds is the Five-seveN (don't worry, only non ap rounds are available to civilians) Pretty much any handgun can fit the description of the gun you described.

I'm not talking normal handguns, I mean develop a gun for the sole purpose of home defense, almost like an extremely powerful airgun. Something that fired very small rounds.

I think most people are entitled to a low powered small caliber firing fire arm in their home, but not above that. In Ireland if you want a rifle or anything you have to have it stored on a range under lock and key that the place minds, and I think that's a great idea. I don't know how you people do it in America but your gun laws seem very unclear.

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
Without reading previous posts(This is because I know I will get enraged) - Guns don't kill people, people kill people. More people die from car accidents than guns

Some articles:
Campaign For Liberty Hospitals... Not Guns.
WikiAnswers - How many people die in car crashes each year
How many people are killed every year in the US by guns? - Yahoo! Answers

To do the math for you:
About 30k people die per year from guns
About 311k people die per year from cars

Ban cars!

I'm sure I could find exact statistics from a government website, but I thoroughly do not want to.

When the USA's pathetic army gets taken out by a larger army and we get invaded - without guns, we won't have anything, and that is what scares me about banning guns. It will happen, it's just a matter of time.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
[HIGHLIGHT]Without reading previous posts(This is because I know I will get enraged)[/HIGHLIGHT] - Guns don't kill people, people kill people. More people die from car accidents than guns

Some articles:
Campaign For Liberty Hospitals... Not Guns.
WikiAnswers - How many people die in car crashes each year
How many people are killed every year in the US by guns? - Yahoo! Answers

To do the math for you:
About 30k people die per year from guns
About 311k people die per year from cars

Ban cars!

[HIGHLIGHT]I'm sure I could find exact statistics from a government website, but I thoroughly do not want to.
[/HIGHLIGHT]
When the USA's pathetic army gets taken out by a larger army and we get invaded - without guns, we won't have anything, and that is what scares me about banning guns. It will happen, it's just a matter of time.

Then why start a topic that you clearly cannot handle discussing without a tantrum?

I know I saw a chart that detailed the amount of gun related violence and deaths by country at some point in the past. It was very clear that the loose gun laws in the US have led to a higher death rate than any other civilized country in the world. (I'll try to dig it up and edit this post.)

Honestly, ban cars? I'm not trying to insult you, but that's fucking retarded. We are talking about a weapon, not a mode of transportation. Smoking kills more people than both of those stats you pulled, and doesn't fit into this conversation either. See where I'm going?

Slasher

Suck It
@ NoEffex in particular.
Guns do kill people. They give confidence in those who otherwise may not commit such an act. We could argue all day about gun control and the specifics, but please keep it to this thread. I cannot possibly understand how you justify the need to own guns as a means to halt some sort of impending invasion of your country, and you even go as far as to call out your own army as being "pathetic"?

I know I saw a chart that detailed the amount of gun related violence and deaths by country at some point in the past. It was very clear that the loose gun laws in the US have led to a higher death rate than any other civilized country in the world. (I'll try to dig it up and edit this post.)
Something like this seems like what you're describing
639px-Intlhomrate.svg.png

screenhunter5pc9.jpg
The US seems to be near the top of the list in nearly every violent-related/homicide-related chart imaginable. I wonder why?

Mister Chief

You are obvious very well read on the matter since you only missed the year in which the law was passed by 60 years.

The law also meant certain models of the Ak47 were banned which were classified as.....semi-automatics.

soha

@ NoEffex in particular.
Guns do kill people. They give confidence in those who otherwise may not commit such an act. We could argue all day about gun control and the specifics, but please keep it to this thread. I cannot possibly understand how you justify the need to own guns as a means to halt some sort of impending invasion of your country, and you even go as far as to call out your own army as being "pathetic"?

Something like this seems like what you're describing
[qimg]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2b/Intlhomrate.svg/639px-Intlhomrate.svg.png[/qimg]

[qimg]http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/1961/screenhunter5pc9.jpg[/qimg]
The US seems to be near the top of the list in nearly every violent-related/homicide-related chart imaginable. I wonder why?
I read in a news article that 80% of violent crime is to blame on gangs. Banning guns wont stop the vilence slasher, we have to treat the desease not the symptoms. In other words stop blaming our violence on guns and guns alone.