• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Pachter Calls $249 PSPgo A Rip-Off

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
michaelpachter.jpg

No matter how you shake it, the asking price of $249 for the recently announced PSPgo is a wee bit on the high side. Outspoken analyst Michael Pachter agrees, going as far to label the device as a rip-off. Pachter surmises that despite the inclusion of built-in 16GB flash storage, doing away with an expensive UMD drive means Sony will be making a healthy profit on each unit sold.[blockquote2] $249 is too much. Period... The [current] $169 PSP-3000 is a profitable device - the disc assembly, for a UMD, costs more than 16 gigs of flash does. So this new device doesn't cost them as much to make as the PSP-3000 and they jack the price up $80...

I'm sorry to say it. I don't want to get bad fan mail from the Sony fanboys, but... They're ripping off the consumer until they sell a couple million and if consumers don't buy it then the price is going to come down... they're making a lot more money on the PSP Go than the PSP-3000. And the PSP Go helps them because there's no piracy...[/blockquote2]Pachter brings up a fair point. Although we were extremely impressed with the PSPgo at E3, both from an aesthetic and functional standpoint, dropping down what amounts to more than half the price of a PS3 is a hard pill to swallow. Regardless, it's hard to complain, as Sony is giving consumers a choice between the 3000 and go. Being an early adopter is never easy.

Pachter says Sony is 'ripping off' consumers with PSP Go [Joystiq]

Blaze_Fire

<p>No piracy... Yet, lol.</p>
<p>I'm sure people will find a way, but I agree 250$ is a little high.</p>

Juliet

<p>I didn't think of the new PSP's price before this post because I knew I wouldn't buy it. It's nearly %50 more expensive than 3000 series. If they put a camera on the unit, maybe it would deserve this price.</p>

neelzz

<p>can't agree more,
By the way the spec sheet has leaked</p>
<p>link: <a rel="nofollow" href="http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/4196/pspgospecsheet.jpg">[img19.imageshack.us]</a></p>
<p>lol ! thats amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!</p>

KingPepper

<p>LOL @neelzz,</p>
<p>Love that image, nice one. :)</p>
<p>I like Michael Pachter, its about time someone with brains was outspoken about the $ony PSP products, over priced products that do exactly the same thing in all 4 editions, that are indeed ripping us, the consumer off.
I still have my PSP 1003 here in the UK, from launch day, so don't intend to purchase this PSP Go.
BUT $ony i would like my Gran Turismo Mobile game at long last, definitely one to Buy on anyone's list.</p>

lemonsatan

<p>From a Monster Hunter Fan point of view, I'd like to say that the designers should study a little subject called Ergonomics!</p>

angelsniper45

this guy has some balls.

haha