• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Consumer Playstation Phone?

rileysnotz

Just read this on Engadget that Sony is working on an Android based Playstation Phone.

Engadget - "The phone has a large display, described as being between 3.7 and 4.1 inches with WVGA or better resolution, a 5 megapixel camera that we're told might not be final, and it'll likely have a 1GHz Snapdragon CPU on board."

Read here

Spiros

Maiki
I'll pass, for me a handheld gaming device's main purpose should be game's.

Adiuvo

This sounds amazing if the price is right. More than $300 on a contract and I wouldn't bite.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Nice in theory, but I doubt it would be any good. Nothing beats a real, dedicated gaming handheld.

Joey

"Android based Playstation Phone"

Am I the only one who thinks this will end up like Other OS?
It's not going to be a phone that dual boots the XMB and android. It's going to be android based. So yes, you are the only one.

explosions

It's not going to be a phone that dual boots the XMB and android. It's going to be android based. So yes, you are the only one.

I mean it'll be slightly hacked and Sony will release a mandatory proprietary system software update.

Deathrow

Nice in theory, but I doubt it would be any good. Nothing beats a real, dedicated gaming handheld.

Yeah, this definitely my stance.

Real question is why would Sony go hand in hand with Google's OS when they have their own? I mean Google would just have to follow suit on the PSP's main apps/games? or is this going to be a TOTALLY different device which will be a real waste :(

I just don't see officially doing this since they have enough wiggle room to prove themselves to be efficient if they actually increase their software sales. The PSP has been a great device for those on the go, casually playing, or for anything else really. Still a gaming device at heart, but I would hate to see Sony invite people like Google into their own business.

Joey

I don't see how this is anything other than awesome. Sony can have their own market. They don't even need to go through Google.

As for dedicated handheld consoles, that's what the 3DS is for, if I even get that. I like having to only carry one device. This is pretty much a dream device in my eyes.

Besides, outside of an Analog nub, what is missing? This basically looks like a PSP Go with a phone. I don't understand you people :/

El Diablo

It sounds good in theory, but I think there needs to be some more information to accurately judge. Also I don't know how I feel about a touch pad in place of a joystick = \.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor

This. I fail to see the hype really, it doesn't sound like it will push the market forward at all. It's just a phone tailored towards gaming. Sounds like a another PSP go-esque "market test."

Graphically Engadget says games will fall within the range of "PSX or PSP games." That means it's going to look extremely outdated next to the PSP2 and 3DS. If developers can't port their games over without significant downgrades what's the point...

january39

eXo Staff
Can't see it myself, like someone has already said on this thread - a phone should be a phone, and a gaming handheld should be...

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Sony knows the 3DS is going to be a real market hog, because it's going to be awesome and already has fantastic titles planned. So now they need to do whatever they can to steal some of the yhpe off some potential 3DS buyers like me.

But this is not the way.

Anyway, sounds like a good concept for people who don't like carrying a PSP and their cell.