• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Multi Portal 2 Summer Mapping Initiative Contest Announced

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
portal2.jpg

Valve is kicking off the recent release of SDK libraries for Portal 2 in a big way, announcing a contest called the 2011 Summer Mapping Initiative. It invites designers to craft original maps for Portal 2, of either the single-player or co-op variant.

Up for grabs is an Ultimate Portal 2 Gift Pack signed by the Portal 2 developers[...]

Continue reading: Portal 2 Summer Mapping Initiative Contest Announced...

MenaceInc

Staff Member
Might take part although the really close deadline is offputting :\

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
man, if they had implemented something like community maps on the console versions(and some type of editor), portal would have unlimited replay value=-(

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
I think they said select community maps would be coming to the PS3 as free DLC, since Steam lets them push out updates whenever. Not sure about 360 though.

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
I think they said select community maps would be coming to the PS3 as free DLC, since Steam lets them push out updates whenever. Not sure about 360 though.
still, dlc for portal is really only worth 2 or 3 runs before you have memorized how to beat all the test chambers, i do hope that alot of maps are added when they ship out the dlc.

Josey Wales

Evil Poptart
el oh el.

I have to agree with the uselessness of paying for more maps, they do tend to go quick but if you put it in to perspective of ANY game - all of them are puzzles that can be memorized... so really theres no difference, its just easier to memorize the puzzles with Portal... Although in some cases theres always a faster way to solve them.

Regardless, I havent bought the sequel yet, I suppose im waiting for a price drop... and if theres DLC released by then hopefully theyll be included. Maybe GOTY or somsin.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
el oh el.

I have to agree with the uselessness of paying for more maps, they do tend to go quick but if you put it in to perspective of ANY game - all of them are puzzles that can be memorized... so really theres no difference, its just easier to memorize the puzzles with Portal... Although in some cases theres always a faster way to solve them.

Regardless, I havent bought the sequel yet, I suppose im waiting for a price drop... and if theres DLC released by then hopefully theyll be included. Maybe GOTY or somsin.

Gamestop and Amazon were both selling the game for $30 a week after its release...that's a hefty price drop. Doubt we'll see a GOTY edition and there are a ton of user-created maps showing up now regardless (I actually am about to dive into some)

Greyone

Funny Little Green Ghouls
el oh el.

$39.99 currently at best buy :)
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Portal+2+-+Mac/Windows/2146696.p?id=1218311139568&skuId=2146696

Josey Wales

Evil Poptart
Gamestop and Amazon were both selling the game for $30 a week after its release...that's a hefty price drop. Doubt we'll see a GOTY edition and there are a ton of user-created maps showing up now regardless (I actually am about to dive into some)

I assumed the development of maps came at a high price for the SDK. This may be more realistic than not if thats the case, especially if its only that much at best buy.