• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PSV PS Vita Firmware Extractor Released

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
5843693994_aa927fb302_z.jpg

While the PS Vita has yet to grace Japanese store shelves, it would seem hackers are already poking around Sony's new hardware. SKFU - a name you may recognize from the early days of PS3 hacking scene has released a firmware extractor for system software version 00.945.040.

Judging from the version string, it seems likely this is a development build of the firmware not publicly available[...]

Continue reading: PS Vita Firmware Extractor Released...

Sousanator

Shockingly Delicious
Not to sound ungrateful, but what's the point in a firmware extractor that does doesn't decrypt anything, and only works on a firmware version that will be outdated before the Vita is even released?

Can we at the very least wait until the PS Vita comes out in Japan before we start releasing tools for it?

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Yes, not to knock the effort but it's mostly pointless. Won't lead to anything. I cannot really see what he accomplished other than brag to the world that he has access to pre-release firmware. Which is great if you want attention from Sony, I suppose.

Also, the pre-1.0 firmware revisions back on PSP used a different file format than retail, so this could end up being entirely useless...

He should've just kept it to himself, or to devs. Public release of this does nothing really.

Hellcat

Contributor
STFU ("typo" intentional) hasen't done anything REALLY usefull for ages.
And IMO he should stay out of dev. networks he's not supposed to be on.
He's only doing more bad than good this way.
It's all about fame for him.

Dan

Contributor
Hackers should just leave this the fuck alone, or at least keep it to themselves.

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
while i agree this is completely useless(and can it even be verified to work? and not some quick shot at fame?), i disagree with people complaining about messing with the vita to run unsigned code. i can't wait to see what this brings in terms of homebrew.

Robby

Los Doyers!
All it takes is one cheat device to be made and online gaming will be ruined for this just like how the original PSP was.