• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PS3 PS2 Backwards Compatibility Device Patent Filed By Sony Japan

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
ps2bc.jpg

Sony may be responding to cries for PS2 backwards compatibility -- which was removed from later PS3 units -- in a slightly unorthodox way. A recent patent dug up by the information sleuths over at Siliconera reveals that Sony is exploring the possibility of an adapter that, when hooked up to the PS3, allows playback of PS2 format titles.

A schematic, shown above, gives a detailed run-down of the hardware involved[...]

Continue reading: PS2 Backwards Compatibility Device Patent Filed By Sony Japan...

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
F* finally! Still... Having to pay for a device? Hopefully it will allow us to play PS2 games at will.

Muratcan

Ridiculous. They can make a perfect PS1 emulator for PSP, but can't make a software PS2 emulator? There is a PC PS2 emulator that works perfectly if you have the right specs, surely Sony, the guys who actually make the hardware in question, can make a better software emulator that runs on lower specs!

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Ridiculous. They can make a perfect PS1 emulator for PSP, but can't make a software PS2 emulator? There is a PC PS2 emulator that works perfectly if you have the right specs, surely Sony, the guys who actually make the hardware in question, can make a better software emulator that runs on lower specs!

That depends. Software emulators can be faulty at times when they're pushed too much, and as we all know the Emotion Engine has been removed from newer PS3 models.

If this "device" gives me faultless hardware emulation and the ability to play PS2 at will, then I will skip move and buy this.

Also, even with "the right specs" (which is an expression that should be used VERY carefully) the PC emulator is very faulty.

El Diablo

Shouldn't everyone be skipping the move anyway?

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Shouldn't everyone be skipping the move anyway?

I *heard* it's actually pretty solid. Just lacks the software it needs for now, we'll see if there's Move-worthy software. That will define if one should skip it or not.

Greyone

Funny Little Green Ghouls
That depends. Software emulators can be faulty at times when they're pushed too much, and as we all know the Emotion Engine has been removed from newer PS3 models.

Also, even with "the right specs" (which is an expression that should be used VERY carefully) the PC emulator is very faulty.
Pushed too much what?
Pcsx2 has been extremely stable for me, it only has problems if I max out AA/AF sometimes.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Pushed too much what?
Pcsx2 has been extremely stable for me, it only has problems if I max out AA/AF sometimes.

As far as I know, even with the right specs (which is a very loose term, since there are none), some games can lag/glitch. I don't think most gamers can afford a computer with the perfect specs to run PCSX2 flawlessly too. I know I don't.

Don't get me wrong, it's a very nice emulator and I've finished FFX and Persona 4 on it... But it's far from perfect.

Muratcan

I must admit I've never actually played PCSX2 full speed myself, I'm going based on online reports. My laptop is a single core. I have 2 friends with quad core machine, but we couldn't be bothered to sort the settings out.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
I must admit I've never actually played PCSX2 full speed myself, I'm going based on online reports. My laptop is a single core. I have 2 friends with quad core machine, but we couldn't be bothered to sort the settings out.

As far as I know, it doesn't matter if you're above core 2 duo, PCSX2 is made to work only with two cores and I think they said that's the way it was staying. I've played PCSX2 full speed though, but only thanks to an OC of my desktop CPU.

january39

eXo Staff
I would sooner pay for the device, although im not going to. I will be buying move on the basis, it is cheaper than a wii.

I will miss zelda though, and i am praying for a Ico HD which i hear is in the pipeline.

Tenshigami

Seriously, depending on the price of this peripheral, they might as well design a PS2 capable of upscaling to HD. Then again, this isn't Microsoft, so I can rest assured that if this comes to fruition, it won't be given an absolutely ludicrous price.

El Diablo

I have a pretty decent gaming computer and I have not been able to run one game on PCPS2 or whatever it is at full speed. Every game I have tried lags during cut scenes, when you get into zones with a lot of things on the screen like a bunch of trees, and the games have glitches where sometimes the coloring is messed up or there are just black spots. It's a good emulator and plays games don't get me wrong but it is no where near perfect and a good gaming PC is more powerful than a ps3, I can't see there being a full speed or even one better than the PC one working on the PS3 which is why they are probably making this device. Plus more money is always nice.

Hellcat

Contributor
I think they'll just make the removed HW availabe to the PS3 system via USB again, so the already existing PS2 emulation can use it (again)....

Not too bad IMO, if the price is OK, I might get one for my Slim, but only if it's not too expensive....

Regarding the Move:
Definitaly getting that! :D
I tried it first hand at GamesCom and it works SO much nicer than I expected....

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
PSOne is used for PSClassics, PSP is used for minis, and the PS2 one is the thing they've been holding back on us for the past 2 years xD

LocutusEstBorg

A 7800GTX cannot execute the equivalent GU functions fast enough. I am also doubtful of a single core CPU's ability to properly emulate both the processors in the PS2 with proper timing. The fact that the software PS2 emulation in the second revision PS3s was much worse than PCSX2 show this.

Hellcat

Contributor
Amazingly,there's a folder named PS2 emu on /dev_flash on the PS3... also PS1 and PSP
Well, yeah, guess why....

PS1 - obvious
PSP - like Kezzy said, for minis
PS2 - for those PS3's that *ARE* BC and play PS2 games (old 60G models, they DO exist, you know)

Nothing is held back.

OMG, what a shocker :eek:

:p

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Also I recall that early 80GB units had partial software/hardware BC, so it's not surprising at all to see an emulator on there.