• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PS3 PS2 Backwards Compatibility Device Patent Filed By Sony Japan

Juliet

The first PS3 units (20 and 60 gigs) had both the PS2 CPU and GPU that are Emotion Engine and Graphics Synthesizer. I don't know whether they were unified or not. Those first units weren't released to the European market. But later on, with the release of 80 GB units Sony discarded the EE but kept the GS. Those units play fewer PS2 games than the original. Finally when there were a lot of PS3 games, PS2 compatibility completely went away when Sony launched first 40 and 160 GB parties with DualShock 3 support.

LocutusEstBorg

Wishful thinking. That will NEVER happen. The success of homebrew is only going to decrease over the years as hardware and security complexity increases.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Wishful thinking. That will NEVER happen. The success of homebrew is only going to decrease over the years as hardware and security complexity increases.

Actually I was thinking the same thing.

LocutusEstBorg

I had zero faith in the PS3 being hacked within it's meaningful lifetime so I held out on buying one and I was right. Now that it's been hacked (temporarily) its been so long that the graphics are too crappy by my standards anyway.

El Diablo

I don't see how you can say the graphics on the ps3 are crappy...

LocutusEstBorg

Low res textures, low poly models, no AA, no AF and more are all aspects of crappy graphics. It was acceptable 2 years ago, not anymore. This PS2 emulation is going to be bullshit. GoW 1 & 2 sucked on the PS3 compared to running it on PCSX2 on the PC. If you've played SotC on PCSX2 with maxed out settings it's immediately evident that the PS3 version will not even come close.

And how are they even going to attach this thing? USB? I'd love to see how it manages very high quality rendering.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Low res textures, low poly models, no AA, no AF and more are all aspects of crappy graphics. It was acceptable 2 years ago, not anymore. This PS2 emulation is going to be bullshit. GoW 1 & 2 sucked on the PS3 compared to running it on PCSX2 on the PC. If you've played SotC on PCSX2 with maxed out settings it's immediately evident that the PS3 version will not even come close.

And how are they even going to attach this thing? USB? I'd love to see how it manages very high quality rendering.

Too bad most people can't play PSCX2 how you claim it to... Also the PS2 is SOny's own hardware, I think no one better than them can emulate the PS2.

Also only the cutscenes sucked in GoW PS3, the rest of the game looked better than the PS2 version. And guess what, it was cheaper than a PC made for PCSX2.

You hate on Sony WAY too much.

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
Low res textures, low poly models, no AA, no AF and more are all aspects of crappy graphics. It was acceptable 2 years ago, not anymore.
i'd have to disagree, if the game has great gameplay, then graphics can be as shitty as they want imo, too many times games try to cover for bad gameplay with amazing graphics, of course it's nice when u get both

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
i'd have to disagree, if the game has great gameplay, then graphics can be as shitty as they want imo, too many times games try to cover for bad gameplay with amazing graphics, of course it's nice when u get both

Torch is a graphical whore xD

LocutusEstBorg

I like Sony and Playstation. It's annoying when they do things wrong. If I hated anyone it'd be Apple and Microsoft (X-Box division only) for their unscrouplous money grabbing. Sony may emulate the PS2 with the least effort but they will compromise on quality which is BS for games designed for 10 year old hardware. You only need a 3+ GHz CPU and a 9600 to max out PCSX2.

Whatever low bandwidth peripheral they connect (How? Hence low bandwidth) isn't going to cut it

---------- Post added at 07:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:47 PM ----------

Only up to a point. I can't stand playing Warcraft or CS anymore because they look like shit despite having great multiplayer.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
I like Sony and Playstation. It's annoying when they do things wrong. If I hated anyone it'd be Apple and Microsoft (X-Box division only) for their unscrouplous money grabbing. Sony may emulate the PS2 with the least effort but they will compromise on quality which is BS for games designed for 10 year old hardware. You only need a 3+ GHz CPU and a 9600 to max out PCSX2.

Whatever low bandwidth peripheral they connect (How? Hence low bandwidth) isn't going to cut it

Really? I have better specs and it doesn't work that well. =\

LocutusEstBorg

Well 3 GHz i5 or i7. More for older architectures. More than 2 cores doesn't help, clock cycles do. GPU isn't a problem it never goes above 30% on mine.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Well 3 GHz i5 or i7. More for older architectures. More than 2 cores doesn't help, clock cycles do. GPU isn't a problem it never goes above 30% on mine.

Exactly... Not everyone can afford CPU's above C2D... That's why, if done well, this "thing" can save people a lot of money, if Sony prices it right like they usually do..

El Diablo

GoW looked so much better on the ps3 than on the ps2, I don't see how playing it on an emulator for ps2 would make it look any better than the ps2 let alone ps3, that's ridiculous. Like Kezra said the only bad things in the ps3 versions were the cutscenes, the rest of the graphics were amazing compared to the ps2 version I don't see how you can say they weren't. It's nice you can always find some way to bring up how amazing your computer is, but people are looking for basic ps2 quality emulator and playback. They aren't looking for some fucking super computer trying to make the graphics better than they already were. No one was complaining about the ps2s graphics on the original ps3s because they just want to play ps2 games and are more than happy with ps2 quality. They don't need their ps2 emulator to suddenly turn all of their ps2 games into next gen quality games for them to consider it a decent product.

LocutusEstBorg

I don't think the GoW collections were emulations at all, but minimally ported games. That said, it was a piss poor job. The fact that an actual emulation looks better says a lot.

JigShaun

I thought Sony had abandoned PS2 backwards compatibility long ago. If they offer me a way to play my PS2 games on a PS3, (and it's reliable) I will be at the front of the line.
I love my PS3, but sometimes I just want to put in WarJetz, or an early Medal of Honor title, and shoot at stuff. Or maybe my nephew is visiting, and we want to play a two person split screen game so we can actually play in the same room.
Right now I have to take the Optical Digital cable out of the PS3, because my receiver only has the one free optical input. Then I have to disconnect my HDD/DVD because I need the component input on the HDTV. And I have to climb behind the TV because it's not a standard component cable. Then I have to sort through my old memory cards to find the one with the right (and most recent) game save on it. And then I have to figure out what I did with my wired remote, and the extension. By the time I'm finished with all the preparation, I have to go to bed because I have to work in the morning.
So if SCEA offered me the option of a reliable backwards compatible PS3, I wouldn't care HOW they did it. And I wouldn't be that concerned about the cost either. I would be at the front of the line!