• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PS3 Firmware 3.21 to Remove OtherOS

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
It may not violate law but it's a pretty shit move.

If there's one thing we've learnt over the past years with Sony is that it's all about them and rarely about the consumer.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood

RadPig94

you cant blame Sony though, blame the dumbass hackers who ruin things from gameplay experience to downloading games which end up raising the price to $60 per game

MiKeY188

S For So Not Mature
Sony is ghey so i blame them lol also games cost that much because they cost millions to make. God of war cost near 45million to make so they gotta make there money back and a good profit.

Spiros

Maiki
you cant blame Sony though, blame the dumbass hackers who ruin things from gameplay experience to downloading games which end up raising the price to $60 per game

I disagree, i do blame sony, they sold the console to us with otheros being an advertised feature, to me it's unacceptable, there are always going to be vulnerabilties, there's no such thing as a completely secure system. but to remove an entire feature that we paid for, even if they're within their legal right to do so...it just doesn't seem right to me. quoting another post:
Secondly, it appears that the security of MP4 video playback has been boosted too, removing some vulnerabilities.
If there was also another "security concern" in mp4 playback why didn't they remove mp4 compatability. even on the psp, pretty much all of the exploits use the .tiff format, but the psp still supports it. the removal of an entire feature is unheard of(as far as my knowledge goes), and to me completely unacceptable, and that's why i support geohot.

ps - don't new games already cost 60 dollors, I mean unless you buy secondhand or a year later?

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
I disagree, i do blame sony, they sold the console to us with otheros being an advertised feature, to me it's unacceptable, there are always going to be vulnerabilties, there's no such thing as a completely secure system. but to remove an entire feature that we paid for, even if they're within their legal right to do so...it just doesn't seem right to me. quoting another post:
If there was also another "security concern" in mp4 playback why didn't they remove mp4 compatability. even on the psp, pretty much all of the exploits use the .tiff format, but the psp still supports it. the removal of an entire feature is unheard of(as far as my knowledge goes), and to me completely unacceptable, and that's why i support geohot.

ps - don't new games already cost 60 dollors, I mean unless you buy secondhand or a year later?

Because more people use MP4 than use OtherOS, because even though there might have been one concern for MP4, there's a huge amount of covered and perhaps even uncovered exploits for OtherOS that they've found through auditing.

Spiros

Maiki
Because more people use MP4 than use OtherOS, because even though there might have been one concern for MP4, there's a huge amount of covered and perhaps even uncovered exploits for OtherOS that they've found through auditing.

I don't believe that because a small number of users use OtherOS, justifies removing the entire feature. Taking features and functionality away from customers is wrong, I paid for that console, I looked at all of it's features when making my decision, and I said thats a hell of a machine, and that's why I bought it. I already had a 360, so I didn't buy it specifically for games(as i did the 360 and ps2 before it), I bought it because it had so much functionality(bluray/mp4 playback/internet/music/photos/games, and ofcourse otheros). To take away a feature after I have paid for it is wrong in my view.

I think sony fucked up, and who knows some good could come from this.

Dan

Contributor

That's an oxymoron right there. You have the whole situation wrong. Hackers, hack. Pirates, pirate.

Simples.

In my opinion, there's nobody to blame. Hackers want to explore the full potential of the PS3, wheras Sony don't want that happen as they'd like to be in control. One would trigger the other off. What Sony wants, hackers don't, and vice versa.

Spiros said:
To take away a feature after I have paid for it is wrong in my view.

I understand what you mean, the fact that they promised a feature which they've removed. I knew I wouldn't have used Fedora or Yellowdog, yet I still thought of it as a good reason to choose the PS3 over the 360, and I am pissed at them removing it although I don't use it. From an executive point of view, congrats Sony it's a smart move to combat vulnerabilities and I don't blame them, but like I said, what Sony wants, we don't get.

tl;dr Shit happens, the world is unjust, yada yada yada.