• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PS3 PS3 Firmware 3.56 Causing HDD Upgrade Woes

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
ps3hdd.jpg

Looks like a hotfix may be in order for Sony's recently-issued PS3 firmware 3.56. Although merely a 'security patch,' users on various sites such as NeoGAF and HighDefForum are reporting that they can no longer swap the internal HDD for a upgraded one.

A wide range of PS3 models are affected, all of them with a 16MB NAND flash, which covers all newer slimline configurations[...]

Continue reading: PS3 Firmware 3.56 Causing HDD Upgrade Woes...

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Is this a hint at another exploit possibly related to the HDD?

I'd say shoddy programming of the new OFW due to time constraints xD

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
mine works fine

If you swapped the HDD prior to upgrading it'll still work, it's only affecting people that upgraded to a new HDD after installing the new firmware.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
If you swapped the HDD prior to upgrading it'll still work, it's only affecting people that upgraded to a new HDD after installing the new firmware.

How do people find this stuff anyway? Do they test proof this stuff better then Sony Engineers? o_O

eldiablov

Contributor
I reckon (and this is speculation of course) that someone tried switching their HDD after updating the firmware and discovered that it wouldn't work.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
I reckon (and this is speculation of course) that someone tried switching their HDD after updating the firmware and discovered that it wouldn't work.

ha ha xD That's not what I meant. These things just come up so fast I just can't believe they passed through Q&A

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
it may have been intentional, locking hdd->PS3 would mean people can't put as many pirated games onto their internal hdd's(unless they already upgraded), but it's only speculation if this was intentional or not

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
it may have been intentional, locking hdd->PS3 would mean people can't put as many pirated games onto their internal hdd's(unless they already upgraded), but it's only speculation if this was intentional or not

Then why didn't they lock out external HDDs as well? Most pirates use those.

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
Then why didn't they lock out external HDDs as well? Most pirates use those.

true enough, but i don't know if it should be called careless programming at the same time, it could be part of some plan to try and salvage the ps3's security in the long run

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
true enough, but i don't know if it should be called careless programming at the same time, it could be part of some plan to try and salvage the ps3's security in the long run

Hm... Yeah, but can the PS3's security really be salvaged? There's nothing they can do at this point.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
HDD upgrades are a natural reality for any PS3 owner, I know my 40GB isn't cutting it right now and I have to delete videos and data files right now. Disabling upgrades would just cripple the PS3 for all of the consumer base, so this is definitely not intentional.