• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PS3 PS3 Firmware 3.56 Is A Security Update

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
ps3update350.jpg

Sony has quietly released PS3 firmware 3.56, a minor update that adds a "security patch." Vagueness aside, there's little doubt this comes in response to the recent wave of PS3 hacking efforts which have resulted in several custom firmware variants.

Suffice to say, those who value homebrew access are advised not to update at this time[...]

Continue reading: PS3 Firmware 3.56 Is A Security Update...

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
and I've read online that Sony may be planning to implement a serial key (like PC) system into the PS3.

WTF are they thinking?

kudude25

hey guys.... call me an idiot, but I have the jailbreak on my ps3. I really didn't want it. But my friend put it on here, so I have it. I really messed up, and I don't know what to do. I have Comgenies Awesome file manager. Someone please help. I am scared out of my mind that my PS3 will get bricked. Please someone help. thank you.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
You can install OFW 3.56 and it will replace the jailbreak firmware.

Richlando

Read around first before you update, imo only, as some users are reporting bricking after updating from CFW.But idk how true this is but to be safe you could update to 3.55 then safely to 3.56..just a thought..oh and the new firmware got owned in less than one hour..LOL

Update: Attention all you running custom firmware and for whatever reason have decided, “I’m going to upgrade to OFW 3.56.” Well you should hold that thought and restore to OFW 3.55 first. There are reports circulating that “my PS3 no longer turns on” after updating to 3.56 from a custom firmware. In other words: your console may end up bricked. I would restore to OFW 3.55 and wipe everything off the HDD first (from the Recovery Menu).
Quoted from Ps3-Hacks

and I've read online that Sony may be planning to implement a serial key (like PC) system into the PS3.

WTF are they thinking?

Wait a min.

you saying they have no way of having console banned in the first place?? wow Sony, your very weak on security. Now the PSN is going to be full of hacks unless CFW have its own PSN which I doubt it.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
I heard some folks are getting banned from Black Ops multi for cheating, though it seems this is Treyarch's doing and not Sony.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
I updated successfully with no brick to 3.56

Robby

Los Doyers!
I heard some folks are getting banned from Black Ops multi for cheating, though it seems this is Treyarch's doing and not Sony.

Treyarch has it's own banning system in place for cheaters for Black Ops. Same thing on the xbox and I'm sure on the PC, don't know. But users can report players on the console and treyarch is able to view the match footage and see.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Some hackers are actually threatning Sony to back off lol

january39

eXo Staff
Just as well i have two ps3's, and only one of them will have 3.56 on. :cool: