• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PS3 PS3 Gets First 'Modchip' via PS Jailbreak

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
The thing that has deterred me from modifying my Xbox 360 drive is a two-fold thing:

1) I don't want to have my Xbox Live account banned, so if anything I would use a second 360 (so costly)
2) It's not a simple process - well it requires a little more work and updating than I would like if you want to keep up with the latest games

With this PS3 hack however it's extremely simple, the only problem will be obtaining the games (which as Spiros pointed out, you can easily rent)

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
I think the whole size thing is moot though. It's a barrier sure if you have a slow connection but on 10mbit+ (which is becoming commonplace in the US) downloading 20GB is nothing.
true, but i wouldn't give this much weight to people who live in the rural area which are confined to 2-4mbps connection's, although i guess that's still not too bad of a wait.
Also, ripping groups may strip out unneeded data or compress audio to make filesizes much more manageable, as they did back in the Dreamcast era. This practice was also prevalent in the PSP scene as well - groups stripped 'padding' from UMDs oftentimes resulting in a huge decrease in size.
the psp i think is a perfect example of what sony does to online cheaters, although the ps3 does hold alot more merit to them, so hopefully you'll see something to try and prevent alot of the cheaters from continuing online play.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
Also, with this "jailbreak", you can just rent a game and rip it right on your PS3 and it's easy as taking a shit.

At the moment, with the current state of the jailbreak, I don't think you can just download a game and put it on an HDD, I think ripping it on the PS3 is the only route.

I've got an original Xbox that I use for the old rent-n-rip routine. It's great. I just need to take the time to build a decent library on it one of these days before the games are impossible to get from gamefly.

Sousanator

Shockingly Delicious
The thing that has deterred me from modifying my Xbox 360 drive is a two-fold thing:

1) I don't want to have my Xbox Live account banned, so if anything I would use a second 360 (so costly)
Microsoft has only banned cheaters from their Live account, never anyone who just modded their console. Just the console gets banned, not the Live account. And you can still play online, its just you take a chance when the random quarterly ban-waves come. In which case if you get hit, then you can't play online until you buy another console, but you will still have your gamerscore and Gold account in tact when you do.
2) It's not a simple process - well it requires a little more work and updating than I would like if you want to keep up with the latest games
With the newer iXtreme LT's you don't necessarily need to update your firmware since they don't restrict the disc's wave version anymore, and it's meant to be bare minimum feature-wise to keep it as close to the original firmware as possible, so you will rarely have to update anymore.
With this PS3 hack however it's extremely simple, the only problem will be obtaining the games (which as Spiros pointed out, you can easily rent)
One thing that Sony has that Microsoft doesn't is the fact that some of their games require the new updates (Just like PSP). So pretty much this modchip is only good for the current games that are out right now, whereas with Microsoft, I know there are still people playing the latest games with the blades menu.

I know details are scant about this so far, but is this a software or a hardware exploit? If it's the former the use of this is quite limited (and anyone wishing to use this should consider remaining out-of-date), as Sony can simply patch this out, and use PSN as a carrot.

EndymionDave

@DAN
I have to agree with Abe with this one. The XBOX 360 is in deep mud with piracy but did it fail? If you're a xbox 360 fan then you'll immediately say no. But bias aside, I don't think the xbox 360 is in trouble with piracy. Quiet the opposite. And I believe Abe was being sarcastic and I guess he got my initial point. The psp isn't a failure, heck because of piracy did the psp soar higher than it could have possibly been planned by the developers. People just need to stop the scapegoating the PSP of heavy piracy, what about the Microsoft Console, the Wii, the PC and soon to be pirated PS3 (if not now, if not tommorrow, then soon enough). See if you open your eyes, it's not so hard to accept the inevitable.

WillyVWade

I know details are scant about this so far, but is this a software or a hardware exploit? If it's the former the use of this is quite limited (and anyone wishing to use this should consider remaining out-of-date), as Sony can simply patch this out, and use PSN as a carrot.

I wouldn't be so sure. If they are using Sony's repair centre code (as has been hypothesised over and over) then patching this out might lock themselves out of the systems they might have to fix one day. I'd say that the exploit could be patched if they are just using the Sony code to then run their own code (for pushing into debug) but then you'd only need to find another exploit to move it from Retail to Debug and run that.

El Xando

"Dam whippersnapper"
Well my current Xbox 360 has been modded with iXtreme Liteon v1.1 for about 6 months now without getting banned. My previous Xbox got banned on November 13th last year after being modded with various iXtremes (ranging from 1.4 to 1.61 I believe) and lasting well over a year.

If this PS3 hack comes out much cheaper, or people manage to make it so you can do it with a regular USB stick, and they are pretty certain you can't get banned from PSN, I will most probably do it. I currently only have one PS3 game.

Cloudy

Hmm, this is interesting. I just wonder how low level this thing is. If it is before any reading of the NAND or anything of the firmware (i.e. - pandora level) then it will not be possible to patch.

That sure would be an interesting turn of events.

WillyVWade

Well my current Xbox 360 has been modded with iXtreme Liteon v1.1 for about 6 months now without getting banned. My previous Xbox got banned on November 13th last year after being modded with various iXtremes (ranging from 1.4 to 1.61 I believe) and lasting well over a year.

If this PS3 hack comes out much cheaper, or people manage to make it so you can do it with a regular USB stick, and they are pretty certain you can't get banned from PSN, I will most probably do it. I currently only have one PS3 game.

This would have no problem being detected by Sony. It sets it's Title to "Backup Manager"...
Hmm, this is interesting. I just wonder how low level this thing is. If it is before any reading of the NAND or anything of the firmware (i.e. - pandora level) then it will not be possible to patch.

That sure would be an interesting turn of events.

From what I've read it looks like each Jig device Identifies it's self to the PS3 and a firmware update could Blacklist the ID that the Jig uses, so until another ID gets leaked from another Jig unit it would be unusable.

Don't take that as gospol, that's just how I understand it from reading Google Translated sites and some Twitter feeds.

shikamaru

Senior Member ~ Trolololo
Has Mathieulh identified if this Dongle selling for an outrageous price (and not even available in the Uk) could be replicated onto a regular USB stick i.e Make a normal USB into the required 'Pandora' or Jig.

InfinitiProject

"Whoa is that a girl on this team!?"
I'll admit, at first I thought of jumping on this when it was first announced being sold. But then I thought over it some more and decided not to get it for the fact that i've spent an ASSLOAD of money on PSN for PS3/PSP games, add-ons, and PS+.

If they were to ban, who knows what they'll do... Along with the ban, they would probably revoke/invalidate your license for your purchases until you buy another PS3, something like what Microsoft did with invalidating game saves, disabling features (including Media Center) and such when they banned users.

Once someone gets this thing to run other stuff besides "backups", i'll either buy a PS3 with a broken Blu-Ray drive or just pick up a Slim and run exploits and such my Phat.

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
If they were to ban, who knows what they'll do... Along with the ban, they would probably revoke/invalidate your license for your purchases until you buy another PS3, something like what Microsoft did with invalidating game saves, disabling features (including Media Center) and such when they banned users.
microsoft only corrupted the profile on a banned xbox, and disallowed ripping games on a banned xbox, to fix this, with the new xbox, simply delete the profile but keep the data, then recover the profile, and everything should still be fine, including saves, microsoft did nothing of that sort.

InfinitiProject

"Whoa is that a girl on this team!?"
microsoft only corrupted the profile on a banned xbox, and disallowed ripping games on a banned xbox, to fix this, with the new xbox, simply delete the profile but keep the data, then recover the profile, and everything should still be fine, including saves, microsoft did nothing of that sort.

:confused1:

More on LIVE Bans, HDD Crippling, Possible Ban Causes - Xbox-Scene

Xbox 360 System Update Released - USB Memory Support, Un-Cripple HDDs - Xbox-Scene

:smile:

slicer4ever

Coding random shit