• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PS3 PS3 hacked by Geohot

agentnnc

That Guy I Am
That's no excuse. The same thing can be used to defend anything.

It doesn't need to be released, and by not releasing it the PS3 can continue to be relatively cheater free.

You're right, it doesn't need to be released. Wars don't need to happen to settle disputes. The problem is that there's always a guy who wants it to happen. Even if GeoHot doesn't release it, someone else might figure it out some time later.

Cloudy

Well, only time will tell. At the moment there is no easy to use packaged software exploit - and there's a chance there never will be. It really depends if anything further can happen from this - and even if something can, it may just allow user mode access and not anything further.

People who cheat most likely download their games - and although the size doesn't change things much, it will still deter some people. Hopefully no ISO loader will come of this - not that I think piracy will kill the console. It's had three years with no piracy - and that is quite an achievment.

Deathrow

Wow this is pretty impressive. However, when compared to the PSP, you think reversing to modules and NAND would be 10 times harder for the PS3? God only knows what security matters have changed or what kind of new crypto engine is changed.

But I could be wrong, knowing Sony, they could have done the same mistake twice :)

EvilSeph

Administrator
Hypervisor and LV1 were dumped, nothing more - nothing less. There is still a lot of work to do to hack the PS3. This is nothing special but a step in the right direction. As far as I can see, anyway.

Moose

Meta Moose
Hypervisor and LV1 were dumped, nothing more - nothing less. There is still a lot of work to do to hack the PS3. This is nothing special but a step in the right direction. As far as I can see, anyway.

Nothing special at all? Surely if it hadn't been done for three years it must hold some value?

eldiablov

Contributor
Nothing special at all? Surely if it hadn't been done for three years it must hold some value?

There is a lot of use from something like this, it just isn't feasible to be used publicly.

He now has dumps and can reverse modules to find any usable software exploits.

Pokemanz master

Lowering your IQ
Wow, just wow.
Ipod to an Ps3, this dude has an bright future it seems.
I'm just shock see he did the impossible what people been trying do less then a month.

I'm tempted buy a ps3 now.:p

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
EvilSeph said:

He's done more than simply dumped the LV0/LV1. According to his post he has read and write access to system memory. That's a fairly significant achievement.

Also, considering he said he's hacked it, I presume he wouldn't be making such a claim if he doesn't feel he will be able to make a working exploit out of this that the public can take advantage of.

Moose

Meta Moose
There is a lot of use from something like this, it just isn't feasible to be used publicly.

He now has dumps and can reverse modules to find any usable software exploits.

I realise that, it's just EvilSeph seemed to dismiss the accomplishment as nothing. >.<

EvilSeph

Administrator
I never called it useless nor did I dismiss it. I just wanted to make it clear that this work does not mean the PS3 has been hacked; he just has acquired new tools to further the progress.

jas0nuk

Sure, there's no Hello World video yet, but he's damn near close. Full access to system memory means he can get decryption keys, look for holes in every single function, and so on. It's just a matter of time now.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood

Wheres

I couldn't give a hoot about piracy because most games are like BIG

I want to play maybe some psx games or homwbrew like chickHEN

Hellcat

Contributor
If it's already hacked or not might be a matter of point of view, some consider it hacked when they can run stuff on it, some when they gained access to it.

I think we could just put it like this: We all want to enter that fortress and Geohot just opened us the front door (widely) :D

Now lets see what's inside :D
Another thing is, unlike the PSP, the PS3 has no way of putting (executable) stuff on it from the outside - yet another thing to solve.