• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PS3 PS3 Hacker George Hotz Continues To Fight for Jurisdiction

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
geohotcfw.jpg

PS3 hacker George Hotz's long-winded legal battle with SCEA continues, this time with his lawyers poking holes in the opposition's argument. In a recent filing, they argue that Hotz had no knowledge of where SCEA was based prior to the suit -- or its relation to SCE Japan. In all honesty -- while it's hard to believe that someone as astute as Geohot was clueless about SCEA, his lawyers make a solid case as to why.

Specifically highlighted is the disconnect between both firms when it comes to rights and ownership of the PS3 brand, bringing into question the ability to stake jurisdiction on the case:
"When one purchases a Playstation Computer and looks at its outer box, it has plastered on numerous places that it is a product of Sony Japan and all rights belong to Sony Japan[...]

Continue reading: PS3 Hacker George Hotz Continues To Fight for Jurisdiction...

Spiros

Maiki
if Sony loses, I'm hacking my PS3. I haven't upgraded it from 3.55

Lets hope they do lose, Sony needs to see that this kind of tactic is not going to solve their security problems.

My guess is that you will be waiting a long time, I don't see when this is going to end, they've been trying to figure out where to actually hold the trial for like 2 months now.

D-TeK-DeV

No matter who wins or loses, hackers such as Geohot will continue to do what they do best. Hack systems. It obviously tells that Sony doesn't care much about the PSP because when the PSP's Master keys were found, Sony didn't get pissed or do anything (because they couldn't) and now the PS3's Master Keys were found, they are angry and taking action, due to the copyright of blueray movies, ect.

Robby

Los Doyers!
No matter who wins or loses, hackers such as Geohot will continue to do what they do best. Hack systems. It obviously tells that Sony doesn't care much about the PSP because when the PSP's Master keys were found, Sony didn't get pissed or do anything (because they couldn't) and now the PS3's Master Keys were found, they are angry and taking action, due to the copyright of blueray movies, ect.
Correct me if I'm wrong, But I thought the PSPs master key wasn't found until the PS3s was. That was how they got the PSPs.

Spiros

Maiki
Correct me if I'm wrong, But I thought the PSPs master key wasn't found until the PS3s was. That was how they got the PSPs.

True, but I think he's just referring to when the PSP was first opened to homebrew, or like when DAX came out with Devhook, then CFW that allowed ISO loading.