• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PS3 LAPTOP Monitor help please

VEGAN0011

hi will a PS3 connect to a SONY VAIO VGN-FZ21S laptop for monitor output ,if so how have been told it can be done with the dazzle dvd recorder does anyone know how and can it be done any other way, thankyou for any help in advance

Chilly Willy

Contributor
You cannot hook the PS3 directly to the laptop. What you would need is a video to USB converter box, then plug the video out of the PS3 to the converter box and the USB to the laptop. Doing so will allow the PS3 to show on the laptop, but you'll lose quite a bit of the quality of said video.

VEGAN0011

PS3 to Laptop

You cannot hook the PS3 directly to the laptop. What you would need is a video to USB converter box, then plug the video out of the PS3 to the converter box and the USB to the laptop. Doing so will allow the PS3 to show on the laptop, but you'll lose quite a bit of the quality of said video.

hi thankyou Chilly Willy do you have the exact names of the converter box and any leads ,
thankyou again ,also do you know if this video is right http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg7avMpHfz4

Chilly Willy

Contributor
Yeah, that video looks to be good. The recommended USB capture device is just what you need for a laptop. There are plugin cards for desktop PCs that put less of a strain on the system than a USB device, but those aren't usable on laptops.

Just google for some USB capture devices. Make sure you get one that's USB2. It shouldn't be too hard to find something.

VEGAN0011

hi thankyou i got a video xpress card capture , and got the PS3 onto the laptop, but the screen size is small and no audio, does anyone know if you can get full screen and audio ,the video xpress cost

Chilly Willy

Contributor
If I have correctly figured out which you mean, the specs say it captures at "up to" 720x480. In the software that came with it, make sure you have it set to the maximum capture resolution, and then set the software to fullscreen instead of windowed mode. Both of those will be in the capture software somewhere. Since it doesn't have audio capture, you need to run a stereo cable from the audio out of the PS3 to the line in on the laptop. If your laptop doesn't have an audio line in, you'll need a separate set of speakers for the audio.

VEGAN0011

If I have correctly figured out which you mean, the specs say it captures at "up to" 720x480. In the software that came with it, make sure you have it set to the maximum capture resolution, and then set the software to fullscreen instead of windowed mode. Both of those will be in the capture software somewhere. Since it doesn't have audio capture, you need to run a stereo cable from the audio out of the PS3 to the line in on the laptop. If your laptop doesn't have an audio line in, you'll need a separate set of speakers for the audio.

yes you got it figured out right ,i'll see if i do it ,thankyou again for your help with this Chilly Willy ,if this works its going to save me having to buy a second monitor ,the resolution even on the small screen with this capture is impressive and it only cost