• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PS3 Media vs 360 Media

Access_Denied

I have to say, I'm disappointed in the PS3. I got a free 360, so I stuck with that. I wanted to buy a PS3, but then I modded my 360, and had no reason to move to the PS3 to buy games. Finally, I get a PS3. I've wanted one since launch day. It's a 60GB too, nice. Greatest system ever. Or so I thought. Honestly, I have a 100GB of movies and music on a portable hard drive, ALL of which work on the 360. (Mostly Xvid and Divx) But then, I find out they don't work on my PS3. I find out the PS3 supports like two formats. WTF Sony? For being the 'Ultimate System' it sure lacks in media capabilities.

Anybody else disappointed with the PS3s lack of support for different file types/codecs? (Now I have to run my 360 to watch movies, and the damn thing is louder than a god damn chain saw, while my PS3 is quiet as a mouse.)

Adiuvo

It's the same on both systems. Each of them support XVID and DVIX, but not all of the codecs. Some people have the exact opposite issue that you do >_>

Sullivan

I am not really disappointed. I run my Nero Server off my computer and stream my videos, so it can be any format period, even vob dvd rip files. It streams and converts at the same time, no lag either.

I have a 80GB but I just stream my stuff, so the hard drive space is a waste.

Seth

MD Party Room
I like my Ps3 video support... All Major torrent uploads have support playback on my ps3...

Tho I am going to be converting my video from divx to mp4 so I can mange my video threw itunes...

The Milkman

Honestly I prefer the Wii's media over any of them. Not only is it user-friendly, but with all the stable hacks and whatnot available now you can even play dvd's on it.

Sousanator

Shockingly Delicious
I like the sorting, displayed info, and controls of the PS3 media player, but because I don't have an HDTV(black/dark colors on my PS3-to-TV look horrible) right now I usually stream everything to my 360.

Once I fix my HDTV, or buy a new one I'll go straight back to PS3 for my media since TVersity will fix the formats.

Access_Denied

The Milkman said:
Honestly I prefer the Wii's media over any of them. Not only is it user-friendly, but with all the stable hacks and whatnot available now you can even play dvd's on it.

Too bad playing DVDs on your Wii will make your DVD motor take a shit on your within 2 months.

_Syn

Access_Denied said:
Too bad playing DVDs on your Wii will make your DVD motor take a shit on your within 2 months.

What? There's a Wii? I've never heard of that before. :p

This is for the people that didn't sense my sarcasm.

Why didn't Nintendo put that in their Wii anyway? That might make them sell more systems.

niko86

Access_Denied said:

Thats an urban myth. Why would the motor burn out, it has to run games doesnt it? Even if games arent spinning constantly you would probably not get a year out of the motor for gaming if what you say were true.

Access_Denied

niko86 said:
Thats an urban myth. Why would the motor burn out, it has to run games doesnt it? Even if games arent spinning constantly you would probably not get a year out of the motor for gaming if what you say were true.

It's not an urban myth. OK, yes, 2 months was exaggeration, but it's true. Playing a DVD will make your DVD motor spin 10x longer than if you were playing a game. (A game only loads at certain points, a DVD is always loading.) This decreases your DVD motor life by 10x.

Scorned

niko86 said:

He hath exclaimed no lie.

mohaas05

The reason the PS3 has less media support than the 360 is that Microsoft owns half the codecs used in popular formats (AVI, WMV, etc.)

Seth

MD Party Room
Wait what codex doesnt the ps3 support...

I play all avi(divx),mp4,wmv on my ps3... haveing others is just really un needed...

Well maybe OGG and MKV...