• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PS3 Questions

Hanzo_f19

[insert custom user title here]
Hello, everyone.I have some questions about the PS3.

1-How do install Linux on it?

2-Why is everyone trying to not upgrade the firmware? Is it like the PSP/You can not play homebrew on it if you upgrade the firmware?

3-Is it worth getting the 40 GB version?Or do you think that thats to small?

4-Besides playing games, see videos, pictures and play music on it, what can i do?

5-Should I get Xbox 360 instead of this?

6-If i install Linux, will i still be able to play my games normally?

7-Is there such thing as a Custom Firmware for it?

8-Can i play normal DVD's on it?

9-Can you tell me some good applications for the PS3?

Thanks for all your help:smile:

FearEvil/EvilPedr0

Hanzo_f19

Oh, one more thing: 10-Is there any kind of hack to enable the PS3 to play the PS2 games (remenber, i'm talking about the 40 GBs version)?

canadajames

Soon to be hardware mod
1. Use google we dont have a guide on it yet. There are some files youll need fomr the sony website and a copy of a dvd with linux of your choice is also required.

2. People think it's tedious, and people are waiting for a hack which could possibly be on a lower firmware

3. depends on wether or not you have ps2 games also there are a few differences like less usb slots and stuff overall I'd choose 60gb then either 80 or 40 plus hd can be easily swapped out without voiding the warranty.

4. surf the web, + many other things I just cant think or dont use it for

5. I'd say no but its your money so you should decide.

6. You can boot seperately into linux and your normal xmb so you should have no troubles.

7. No, may never be, wont delve further into theories.

8. yup (burnt ones not to sure about)

9. do you means games or applications through linux or general apps and if so exp please.

10.No, yet again may never be (i doubt it since sony left it out intentionally)

Hope this helps anymore questions I'll try to answer my best.

Hanzo_f19

3. depends on wether or not you have ps2 games also there are a few differences like less usb slots and stuff overall I'd choose 60gb then either 80 or 40 plus hd can be easily swapped out without voiding the warranty.
sorry, my english needs to be improved: what do you mean by swapped out? do you mean that this version (40 GBS one) can't handle HD ordo you mean that it only supports HD?

I don't really mind about not being able to play PS2 games on it, i already have a PS2.I just whant to enjoy some really good PS3 games:laugh: :biggrin:

9. do you means games or applications through linux or general apps and if so exp please.
just some nice general apps

2. People think it's tedious, and people are waiting for a hack which could possibly be on a lower firmware
to what? i mean if we can install Linux on it what can we ask more?

Thanks for all your answers +rep

Edit:pS:can i connect my PC to the PS3, by the usb ports?Another thing:Can i connect a mouse and keyboard by the USB ports?thanks again

canadajames

Soon to be hardware mod
For the HD you can buy a cable extender and make an external hardrive of your choice on the outside of the PS3 or buy a hardrive of the right side to fit inside the ps has to be 2.5" I believe. Apps basically only are good for linux or maybe for your computer to stream media.
And some people just dont like upgrading everytime they get a new game and stuff mostly its because people want a hack on lower firmware to answer your upgrading question and thx for rep. hope this helps.

Hanzo_f19

thanks for the answer.some more questions:
1-can i connect witha VGA cable? I now that you can do this with other versions, but i don't know about this one.

2-an i connect a mouse and keyboard to the USB ports?I want this to play FPS

3-Does the PS3 has any compability problems with any external hard drives?

4-Does anything that modifys the software the PS3 (like installing Linux) brakes the warranty?

5-Can I connect the PS3 to a non Hd TV?

Thanks, you are being very helpfull
rep(again)

canadajames

Soon to be hardware mod
1.I'm almost certain you can with the 60gb and 80gb so i dont think theyll change it with the 40gb.

2. sry about the mouse and keyboard thing but yea you can connect them both I'm not sure if they are compatible with games though I think it would just be a case of mapping the keys but I'm not sure I know I've used one for typing sometimes and that theyll work for linux.

3. I think that as long as it can work with the cable it should be fine look up esata cable on google find something with it relating to ps3.

4. Linux and another hd both are fine with sony and will not void your warranty.

5. Thats what I do good old sdtv's I really hope to get an hd one though i want to get the full experience of an hdtv an ps3.

Hanzo_f19

ok, thanks.One some more question (shoot me):
1-I know that you can the PS3 to an external hd but can you connect it directly to your PC (USB)?

2-This may sound stupid but..How much do you take on your PS3 HD?I just want to get the ideia

3-Which game do you think that is the best game for the PS3?it does not matter the genre.

4-Do you use the memory card reader ? i mean i think that you can transfer files between the PSP and the PS3 so i don't think i need that (i'm saying this because the 40 GBs version does not have the memory card reader)

5-So you advice me to update the PS3 firmware to latest (official)?

Thanks.Do you want me to give you + rep?(lol)

canadajames

Soon to be hardware mod
ok, thanks.One some more question (shoot me):
1-I know that you can the PS3 to an external hd but can you connect it directly to your PC (USB)?

2-This may sound stupid but..How much do you take on your PS3 HD?I just want to get the ideia

3-Which game do you think that is the best game for the PS3?it does not matter the genre.

4-Do you use the memory card reader ? i mean i think that you can transfer files between the PSP and the PS3 so i don't think i need that (i'm saying this because the 40 GBs version does not have the memory card reader)

5-So you advice me to update the PS3 firmware to latest (official)?

Thanks.Do you want me to give you + rep?(lol)

1. Well the connector for the ps3 uses a different type of cable to connect to the ps3 but if you want to make a ruff adapter buy an adapter or open up your com and connect it directly I dont see why not. (not 100% on it)

2. I think u want to know how much I keep on my ps3 well if so I usually only use it for saves and demos. I like to buy hard copies of all my games but if your big into downloading your games it would be good or if you ever have any problems with your ps3 and bring it back all you have to do is swap out the new ps3s hardrive with your old one. Overall though 40 would be enough if you kept it clean but if your really into media and dont want to stream I'd suggest a bigger one.

3. Well hmmmmmm this is hard. I'll give u 3 for 3 different things : 1. Warhawk for online
2. Heavenly sword for short hack and slash. And I'm really looking forward to stranglehold demo was amzing. So sorry for not being specific.

4. I dont personally use it at all if i really need something on it I would use external hardrive but if you have a camera or anything that runs off a card its nice thing to have for pics and stuff.

5. I would advise you its the only way to play online and the only hacks that could come for the ps3 which didnt come with retail are full 3d in linux, isoloader :mad1:, or maybe some outta linux emualtion.

6. and its up to you again rep just is a way of thanking someone for helping you so whateves just nice to get.

Hanzo_f19

3. Well hmmmmmm this is hard. I'll give u 3 for 3 different things : 1. Warhawk for online
2. Heavenly sword for short hack and slash. And I'm really looking forward to stranglehold demo was amzing. So sorry for not being specific.
you just hited my favourite genres. I will go with Stranglehold, it has very good action, it looks a little bit like matrix (bullet time)

5. I would advise you its the only way to play online and the only hacks that could come for the ps3 which didnt come with retail are full 3d in linux, isoloader :mad1:, or maybe some outta linux emualtion.
I do not do piracy but i thought that the ISO's for the PS3 were about 25 Gb's, that means that its impossible to do piracy because it would take weeks to download

6. and its up to you again rep just is a way of thanking someone for helping you so whateves just nice to get.
I was kiding, of course i will give you +respect

Thank you

canadajames

Soon to be hardware mod
O I didnt say you were a pirate just stating my dissatisfaction for iso loader on ps3 also it wouldn't be impossible they'd just have a way to rip games then transfer onto hd just rent the game. But anyways yea besides that it would be pretty expensive and just plain not worth it at the moment.
Edit: wupps forgot you can rip game isos onto your hardrive via linux on ps3 so yea it woulndt be that bad but still dont like it.

Hanzo_f19

O I didnt say you were a pirate just stating my dissatisfaction for iso loader on ps3 also it wouldn't be impossible they'd just have a way to rip games then transfer onto hd just rent the game. But anyways yea besides that it would be pretty expensive and just plain not worth it at the moment.
Edit: wupps forgot you can rip game isos onto your hardrive via linux on ps3 so yea it woulndt be that bad but still dont like it.

nahh, i don't think i will be making any iso's. i do it on the psp because i hate the loading times and i don't want to hit invisible objects in GTA:Vice City Stories:laugh:

PS:Are the loading times bad on PS3?

canadajames

Soon to be hardware mod
Varies from game to game but really depends on what you call bad its longer at the start of the level but once it gets running its pretty good I don't really notice loading times but unless they're more then a minute nothing bothers me (p.s. haven't played a game with loading over a minute just saying.)

Hanzo_f19

ok. hey, something just occurred to me, is it possible to brick(well, with a ps3 is not a brick, it more like a house!) a PS3?just wondering

canadajames

Soon to be hardware mod
Theres technically a way to break every system but theres nothing right now that would do that unless through linux you can modify the flash which someone probably found a way to do but you cant do it anyway normally and its just purely guessing that someone found a way.

King-Wade

I know I'm not supposed to ask questions like this but

Can we play burned games on the PS3?
Does it need a modchip to play the burned games?
if so what modchip?
and can we just send isos to the ps3's hard drive and play games like that or no?

and if you can't answer my questions can you please give me a website that will?