• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PS3 region free online capabilites

Shinbu-Otaku

I am planning on importing a few games from japan/usa, but i live in europe. I just want to confirm that before i buy these that if they are online capable, will i be able to play them online. I might be wrong, but i heard tht psp games where 'online region-locked' and im not sure if the ps3 is the same.

Thanks in advance

Shinbu-Otaku

MenaceInc

Staff Member
I am planning on importing a few games from japan/usa, but i live in europe. I just want to confirm that before i buy these that if they are online capable, will i be able to play them online. I might be wrong, but i heard tht psp games where 'online region-locked' and im not sure if the ps3 is the same.

Thanks in advance

Shinbu-Otaku

i've never heard of PSP games being online region locked... :\
and never heard of any online games being region locked...

don't think thats possible....but it is a home console which does have region locking so it may be possible that you couldnt play them....

Shinbu-Otaku

i've never heard of PSP games being online region locked... :\
and never heard of any online games being region locked...

don't think thats possible....but it is a home console which does have region locking so it may be possible that you couldnt play them....

from what i understand both the psp and the ps3 are region-free, and i know that ad-hoc play on the psp is only possible with games from the same region, i just werent sure if this applied to online aswell, and obviously if this was passed over to the ps3 aswell.

well, i could always buy the game and if the online doesnt work i'll send it back lol

Cheezeball99

But I was committed after that birthday party...
Wow, I honestly didn't know it was region-free. I Just Got Learned.:smile:

bwalker

you importing from japan? and what game just curious cause i know alot of the japenese versions of games seem to not have online play.

Shinbu-Otaku

i werent too sure, i was thinkin of getting sumthing like ridge racer 7 as it was really cheap when i looked, then i went on play.com and they had a sale on with tht at near enough half price, so it worked out cheaper tht way lol

might import tram simulator HD though LOL by far the best looking game i ever wanna play haha

echofly

from what i understand both the psp and the ps3 are region-free, and i know that ad-hoc play on the psp is only possible with games from the same region, i just werent sure if this applied to online aswell, and obviously if this was passed over to the ps3 aswell.

well, i could always buy the game and if the online doesnt work i'll send it back lol

Nah, some PSP games don't work if they're different regions, but I think some do. Tekken works with other regions. You can play other region games though. I don't know about movies.

Cheezeball99

No, dude, actually I'm SURE that the PSP is completely region-free, man.

canadajames

Soon to be hardware mod
Also this is semi off topic but theres a way with a (can't think of word) transmitting usb maybe you can go on adhoc and p[lay people like infrastructure. It's called kai or something like that. I was really thinking of it just because i wanna play monster hunter online. (Reason I bought psp) <didn't know about dax>

Cheezeball99

Oh, sorry, I misread your message- You were referring to the ad-hoc play, not just playing the game. My bad. :p

sukhi10

That's strange that psp aren't region free that can't be right psp are region free consoles when i bought my one it was said that its region free we all know that psp consoles can play any region game.

Cheezeball99

No, that's what we were sayin'- the PSP IS region-free, but the ad-hoc and Infrastructure isn't on some games.

L0rdC0unt

Hi

Yes, what we are talking about here is not whether the games on PSP and PS3 are region-free or not. You CAN play games from any region in any console without problems.

The question here was: if you buy a game from the US and your friend buys the same game in Europe and the game can be played online, will you and your friend be able to play together?
As far as I have seen, the answer to this question is: No, this does not work.

At least from my experience:
I know that, for instance a European version of GTA (PSP) cannot be played online with ppl who have a US version of the game.
I bought Motorstorm (PS3) in the US and played it online on my US PS3. Even though I was logged in with a European PSN account, I could only see US servers to play on.
Now, the only remaining question is: Was that because the game is a US version or because my PS3 is a US machine? I believe it's because of the game, but I will be able to confirm that 100% in a few months when I go back to Europe and can try to play my US Motorstorm on a German PS3. But I'm willing to bet that I will still only see US servers and so that it depends on where a game comes from.
That's a bit of a bummer, as I will apparently not be able to play this game with friends in Europe. This is definitely something that one should be aware of, I think, before buying a game with online-functionality.

L0rdC0unt

I just thought I could help, as the initial question had not been answered 100%.
Sorry if my post caused any trouble.

You're saying that both things are completely region-free? By "both things", you mean the games as well as their online-functionality? I can't confirm the latter, at least I don't see how I could play my US Motorstorm with Europeans. Is there a way for me to do this?