• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PS4 PS4 Won't Play Your Current PSN Downloads

David Sanchez

inFamous-PS3.jpg

Bummer! It looks like the PlayStation 4 won't transfer and play any of your currently downloaded PlayStation 3 software. This includes PSone and PS2 Classics as well as original PlayStation Network content. I repeat: bummer!

As indicated by a report on Destructoid, Sony Worldwide Studios President Shuhei Yoshida stated that the internal architecture of the PlayStation 4 is considerably different from that of the PlayStation 3.

Continue reading...

nwoow

No they didn't, they unveiled ps4 games and the controller. I understand they probably want to wait till MS shows theirs at e3 later this year but at least have something cryptic or show partof the unit to get people wondering.Sony CEO Says PlayStation 4,New Game Console Under Wraps!

Adiuvo

I don't see why PS2 or PS1 shouldn't be playable. PS3 makes sense and with the much needed architecture change I didn't expect differently.

Trigun

That guy, who Records Music.
They wont until they decide to charge you for them again. With no ability to play from the disc. Even though it's 100% possible.

There is 0 reason why they shouldn't be able to get perfect emulation of both these systems if this thing is even HALF as powerful as they say it is.

Hell with the amount of power they tout it having, there's little reason why they can't build an emulator that will let you play your own games at higher internal resolutions. AKA Basically insta-HD Remasters. If weaker PCs running PCSX2 can do it. Why can't the PS4 that is supposed to be "Super powerful!" which has the advantage of extreme optimization and better hardware access?

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
They wont until they decide to charge you for them again. With no ability to play from the disc. Even though it's 100% possible.

There is 0 reason why they shouldn't be able to get perfect emulation of both these systems if this thing is even HALF as powerful as they say it is.

Hell with the amount of power they tout it having, there's little reason why they can't build an emulator that will let you play your own games at higher internal resolutions. AKA Basically insta-HD Remasters. If weaker PCs running PCSX2 can do it. Why can't the PS4 that is supposed to be "Super powerful!" which has the advantage of extreme optimization and better hardware access?

It's an entirely different architecture from PS3 - PS4, not sure how easy emulating the architecture of the PS3 is (although they do have some cross PSN games with Vita). Hopefully we'll get a clear answer as to why not by E3 time.

Seth

MD Party Room
Well that sucks, Wonder if XBL titles will work on the new 360 cus I invested a crap ton in that store.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
I'd say Microsoft is in better shape than Sony as far as potential backwards compatibility goes. The Xbox 360 has a less exotic architecture than the PS3 that's probably far easier to emulate, so we'll see.

Trigun

Yes you are absolutely right. But if any of the rumors are true about the next Xbox. Who'd want to buy it eh?

There's no way i'm paying for XBL. And there is no way i'm paying for a console that requires a constant internet connection.

Trigun

It's an entirely different architecture from PS3 - PS4, not sure how easy emulating the architecture of the PS3 is (although they do have some cross PSN games with Vita). Hopefully we'll get a clear answer as to why not by E3 time.
Oh I completely understand why there is no BC for PS3. That's sony's fault for their design choices.

But the PS2 and PS1 are over a decade and nearly 20 years old respectively.

Those are what I was talking about.