• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PSP Custom Firmware 3.51 M33 Released

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
psp351customfirmware.jpg

Yes, Dark_AleX retired from the scene, but it's not the end of custom firmware as we know it. Today a Russian coder by the name of HM33 has released firmware 3.51 M33 for the PSP. Just like OE, 3.51 M33 features support for all the new firmware features and games, while still allowing users to run homebrew applications.

Download Firmware 3.51 M33 / Install Guide

Tenshigami

Note that currently, CWCheat has serious issues with 3.51 M33. It locks up for me the moment the gameboot finishes. Also, I've noticed some oddities with options enabling or disabling themselves at random in recovery, but I could be imagining things.

Also, all customizations except the coldboot sound work. The audio for coldboot has apparently been moved to a different file, and I don't know where just yet.

Krelian

The only difference is...

x3sphere, being as how you always had the inside track when it came to OE updates perhaps you could tell me.
Are there any noticeable differences between the M33 release and the 3.51OE release Dark_AleX was working on?

`Rage`

I'm gonna wait for some positive feedback first...

I really love my 3.40 OE-A, and I don't wanna screw my PSP up by DL'ing a cheapish firmware :\

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
x3sphere, being as how you always had the inside track when it came to OE updates perhaps you could tell me.
Are there any noticeable differences between the M33 release and the 3.51OE release Dark_AleX was working on?

It's nearly the same as 3.51 OE. Except some of the features D_A added in aren't there, such as a full NO-UMD compatibility.

But pops still works, recovery mode, etc.

Tenshigami: Yeah that is to be expected, CWCheat will need to be updated for 3.51.

Sorry for the late posting guys... I live in Arizona and my power went out earlier today >_< But yeah this firmware is safe :)

Tenshigami

I'm gonna wait for some positive feedback first...

I really love my 3.40 OE-A, and I don't wanna screw my PSP up by DL'ing a cheapish firmware :\

I already gave it positive feedback, although mixed. But CWCheat can be updated, and when the new location of the coldboot's sound file is found, that won't be an issue either.

And I still don't know whether those options in recovery enabling/disabling themselves at random was a fluke or not. It hasn't happened again.

EbilPhish

DAX never said he actually added in the full NO-UMD stuff, just that it was possible since Sony added it.

Apparently the Russians haven't figured out how to use it correctly yet, they need Sony to release something that actually uses it to reverse engineer it.

I do wounder if DAX is somehow connected to this new mob (ie an alias to stop getting sued, or gave them his code). But I guess firmware hacking would all be done in basic ASM anyway so reverse engineering DAX's stuff wouldn't be too hard.

Tenshigami

I also can't wait for an update to one of those customizer utilities so I can version spoof. Props to HM33 and all that, but I'm just so used to OE that it doesn't look right. I'll probably end up spoofing it to 3.51 PE, for P.wn E.dition. As now that we've gone above the 3.51 barrier, which Sony is going to start frantically requiring all new games to ship with, they are most definitely Pwned.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
DAX never said he actually added in the full NO-UMD stuff, just that it was possible since Sony added it.

Apparently the Russians haven't figured out how to use it correctly yet, they need Sony to release something that actually uses it to reverse engineer it.

I do wounder if DAX is somehow connected to this new mob (ie an alias to stop getting sued, or gave them his code). But I guess firmware hacking would all be done in basic ASM anyway so reverse engineering DAX's stuff wouldn't be too hard.

Nah it's definitely not from Alex... he did have complete NO-UMD support finished. Could be a reverse though.

shadowthor

so this firmware is safe? Direct install from 3.40 oe-a? Most of the features that were on 3.40 oe-a are there, recovery menu, etc. Any changes with the game folders?

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
so this firmware is safe? Direct install from 3.40 oe-a? Most of the features that were on 3.40 oe-a are there, recovery menu, etc. Any changes with the game folders?

All the features from 3.40 OE-A are there, including recovery mode. No game folder changes either :)

shadowthor

yes you can run isos/csos, it is exactly like 3.40 oe-a except it can run 3.51 umds, whenever games come out with them.

dennis96411

Yeah,it's great that this guy can make a cfw,but still I really miss DAX thought,he's the best custom firmware maker.

Doubleagent74

Just upgraded yesterday. Overall, I like it so far, but I have one gripe: when I tried to run gpSP, I got an "unsupported PRX type" error (I don't know the exact string of numbers offhand). I was able to fix it by rebooting to the recovery console and switching the kernel from 3.51 to 1.5, but apparently, I'll now have to switch kernels whenever I want to play homebrew rather than an ISO and vice versa. I never had to do this under 3.40 OE-A.

dennis96411

Just upgraded yesterday. Overall, I like it so far, but I have one gripe: when I tried to run gpSP, I got an "unsupported PRX type" error (I don't know the exact string of numbers offhand). I was able to fix it by rebooting to the recovery console and switching the kernel from 3.51 to 1.5, but apparently, I'll now have to switch kernels whenever I want to play homebrew rather than an ISO and vice versa. I never had to do this under 3.40 OE-A.
You know what I would do?I'll downgrade to 3.40 OE-A and wait til it's bugs are completly fixed.
My helps are stupid don't they?