• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PSP Firmware 4.00 Now Available

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
psplogo4.jpg

Coinciding with the release of PS3 firmware 2.36 is the immediate availability of firmware 4.00 for PSP.

The update can now be downloaded from Network Update and as promised, includes two new main features. Namely, the ability to search Google without the need of launching the PSP's often slow Internet Browser and change the viewing speed of video played on the PSP by pressing up or down on the directional pad. Personally, we were expecting a little more from a X.00 update, but it is what it is. For the complete changelog, hit the break.[blockquote2]* [Internet Search] has been added as a feature under [Network].

* You can now change viewing speed during video playback by pressing the UP/DOWN buttons. Use this feature if you want to watch a video quickly, or if you want to slow down playback and listen to the dialogue carefully.[/blockquote2]If you prefer copying over the update file to your PSP manually, a direct download link is provided below.

Download PSP Firmware 4.00

E

echonoise

<p>*yawn*</p>
<p>Why didn't they just do a minor number to this?
3.96 would have been better.</p>

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
I installed it on my phat PSP. Internet search is almost useless. Aside from the actual search terms, results aren't stored in the XMB so basically it's no faster than simply opening up the web browser (which saves your history anyway).

Hanzo_f19

[insert custom user title here]
<p>WOW, even I was expecting something bigger -_-</p>
<p>hey, I know that it's not Alex's job, but...ahh...could he add divx support? Is it even possible?
I mean, man!, the PSP is needing something new and fresh.</p>

dennis96411

<p>Umm... I think they updated the flash player, read here: <a href="http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=psp&thread.id=3346869">[boardsus.playstation.com]</a> Can someone test youtube if they updated to see if it's true? If it is, it maybe worth a little, but I rather use PSPTube.</p>

d1ddy

fuck , as if I wasnt first comment :eek: ,Regardless DA is going to make a M33 firmware , I think he should go back to calling it OE

dennis96411

<p>Wait, I think they just fix the flash player/browser
Wikipedia says this:</p>
<p>* Google Search Functionality directly from the XMB.
* Functionality allowing for altered playing speeds under [Video]
* Added Subtitle support under [Video]
* Altered Flash player</p>

Hanzo_f19

<p>Umm... I think they updated the flash player, read here: <a href="http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=psp&thread.id=3346869">[boardsus.playstation.com]</a> Can someone test youtube if they updated to see if it's true? If it is, it maybe worth a little, but I rather use PSPTube.</p>

no, not true. check the other posts, it's still the same version (version 6)

Why is Alex gonna make 4.00 M33? (look at maxconsole) It's a useless, unless they want to use UTOPIA. EPIC PHAIL from Sony

icedman204

<p>Ok why a minor update for a big FW release is beyond me. But it goes to show Sony does not care for the User of their consoles (with crappy update after crappy update.</p>
<p>Maybe if PSX games become fully compatable with out any mess ups to eliminate the need for a POPSloader, also the need for Div X and a better flash player (to play you tube [ i believe the PS3 also can't play you tube videos BUT the Wii can lol). I'll probably update then till now i'mma stick to what i'm using.</p>

Richlando

<p>I hope Alexander works on this and hopefully popsloader as well, the custom controls make some games much more playable.If not..oh well.More's the worse.</p>

Hanzo_f19

<p>Ok why a minor update for a big FW release is beyond me. But it goes to show Sony does not care for the User of their consoles (with crappy update after crappy update.</p>
<p>Maybe if PSX games become fully compatable with out any mess ups to eliminate the need for a POPSloader, also the need for Div X and a better flash player (to play you tube [ i believe the PS3 also can't play you tube videos BUT the Wii can lol). I'll probably update then till now i'mma stick to what i'm using.</p>

No, the PS3 can play youtube videos and others

mick51

Hopefully!..dark-alex whill give time into this firmware and decrypt it making 4.00 M33. and improve it in his own way!..lets just wait!.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
<p>I hope Alexander works on this and hopefully popsloader as well, the custom controls make some games much more playable.If not..oh well.More's the worse.</p>

D_A is working on a 4.00 based CFW. Can't reveal any more details than that at the moment though :)

frosty5689

Stupidity to the MAX
I still don't see what the hell sony has done in between 3.80-4.00. They've ADDED literally NOTHING(screw skype).

Chilly Willy

Contributor
It's pretty slim pickings, but you know all future games are going to require it, so it's probably a decent time for another update on the cfw. Nothing special, but still something that periodically needs to be done.

B2K24

Whats really interesting is the feature they changed with viewing video files or movies. They haven't released any movie UMD in what 3 years? :confused1:
On top of that still no DivX or XviD support.

Hopefully the MS driver will be much improved as well as POPS I suppose is all that 1 could hope for.

Thank you DarK_AleX for your continued work and efforts keep us updated.
I can't wait to upgrade once it's available.

Chilly Willy

Contributor
They haven't released any movie UMD in what 3 years?

Why do people always think that movie UMDs are dead? True, they don't release as many as DVDs, but there's usually at least two per month. I have more movie UMDs than game UMDs. They're actually BETTER than DVDs! They encoded in h.264 at a rate that puts the MPEG2 on DVDs to shame unless it's a SuperBit DVD. Output through a component cable to an HDTV, it's far better than most DVD players out. 8)

B2K24

Why do people always think that movie UMDs are dead? True, they don't release as many as DVDs, but there's usually at least two per month. I have more movie UMDs than game UMDs. They're actually BETTER than DVDs! They encoded in h.264 at a rate that puts the MPEG2 on DVDs to shame unless it's a SuperBit DVD. Output through a component cable to an HDTV, it's far better than most DVD players out. 8)

I suppose it depends on area that you live. Movie UMD's are not for sale anywhere around where I live. Best Buy, Circut city, Mall shops, not 1 has them anymore. I simply assumed Sony did not want to pay royalties to movie companies therefore, no more were being released. I did not check online through lately, where they could probably be purchased.
It's good to hear they still are releasing and should have utilized google perhaps before I made such assumptions.

I had forgot about the new Sony Cybershot digital cameras as most now have HD movie mode at 1080 interlaced.
I suppose the new 4.00 feature is aimed at that aspect since movie UMD are launched differently from video captured from camera/camcorder.