• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PSP Go Hands-On: Slim, Sleek, Sexy

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
pspgojpg.jpg

While over at E3 I had a look at Sony's latest iteration of PSP hardware, the PSP go. Without further ado, here are my thoughts:

Build Quality

Incredibly minuscule in size, the PSP go is built to last. Sporting a glossy finish, the top screen looks sleek and slides in and out smoothly, covering the directional and push-pad buttons underneath. That said, the top screen is rather prone to smudges and fingerprints along the edges, but it is to be expected.

When in hands the PSP go feels weightless -- coming in at a paltry 158g. In direct comparison, the iPhone 3G weighs 133g. Despite being extremely lightweight for a gadget of its prowess, the accessible form factor feels sturdy and is easy to grip your hands around. Still, like any other piece of high-tech circuity, a steep drop to concrete would likely render it out of operation for good, so the device needs to be handled with care.

Controls

While I do not have huge hands, the PSP go certainly felt comfortable to hold and play around with for extended periods of time. All directional and push-pad buttons felt firm and responsive. Although the placement can give the thought of "what were they thinking" at first glace, using the analog stick felt very natural. While some may scoff that a second analog nub was not included, you have to remember that this is not a full-blown successor to the PSP, and as such Sony had to stay conservative on changes.

pspgograndturismo.jpg

Screen

When first taking a glance at the PSP go, we immediately noticed the reduction in screen size real estate. Our eyes were not deceiving us, it really is smaller: 3.8 inches compared to 4.3. Despite this, the crisp 16:9 display still sports the same resolution of 480x272 pixels. Featuring a fast LCD refresh rate, the vibrant screen did not suffer from any of the odd scanline-like "artifacts" that although barely visible, plagued PSP-3000 units. If that issue was a deal breaker for you, rest assured it is rectified with the PSP go.

Internal Hardware

In terms of core specs, referring specifically to the CPU and RAM, the innards of PSP go are the same when compared to that of the two previous hardware revisions. A major addition is a built-in 16GB flash storage device for storing PSN titles and media on. Additionally, Bluetooth support is included, allowing for various peripherals such as headphones and even DualShock 3 controllers to be connected via wireless connection.

Changes on the hardware end include a shift in storage format, as the PSP go says goodbye to Memory Stick Pro Duo and internally supports only the M2, or Memory Stick Micro format. A Sony rep mentioned to me that creating an adapter for the Pro Duo format is technically feasible and may come about at a later date, meaning those old cards still could very well be compatible through other means on the go.

pspgoback.jpg

System Software

There were no visible changes in the firmware on board PSP go units at E3. The unit we personally tested was running 5.50 TestingTool Revision B. Since the core hardware is essentially the same with a 333 MHz CPU and 64MB RAM, it is unlikely that we will see any software-based features tailored towards go owners with firmware updates, apart from compatibility updates to Bluetooth functionality and the like.

The Future

While details have yet to be finalized, a Sony rep told me that the company is considering to allow PSP go owners to transfer their store bought UMDs to digital copy. How this will work exactly is unknown, however, a trade-up program is being considered.

pspfold.jpg

Final Thoughts

Is a fourth edition of PSP hardware absolutely needed? Although the PSP go is a very fine piece of hardware, I would have to lean towards no. However, since Sony is not completely phasing out the 3000, it presents a choice to consumers, to either embrace digital distribution or stick with UMD. If this model was completely replacing the 3000, we'd be skeptical, but it's not. And since choices are fantastic, there is nothing inherently wrong with the go. It's a great way for Sony to gauge interest in the digital sector and also attract gadget aficionados out there that want a flashy, more portable PSP that will no doubt turn heads.

Set for an October 1 debut across North America and PAL regions, the PSP go -- internally labeled PSP-N1000 -- will retail for $249.99. An introduction in the Japanese market will follow on November 1.

B2K24

<p>If Sony did not even bother to keep memory stick pro duo and they went to the bother of adding M2 expect this to be an alternative digital means of entertainment and not a replacement, meaning this new unit is not meant to run those old umd games.</p>
<p>If Sony is unwilling to even support pro duo flash memory (surely they could have added the slot somewhere) then why should they support old games? Thank you for crapping on the market who uses cybershot digital cameras and hard drive camcorders that has capability of recording on pro duo. You see this is the first unit that has 16GB built in flash so it would be perfect to share photos and videos with people on the GO!!! Simply see family or W/E carrying the GO and insert the pro duo from their camera, view or copy to 16GB flash.
Since M2 flash memory is so dammed uncommon perhaps they feel the need to push this format to rid of the mass produced supply.
Oh well screw you sony for again crapping on your market share</p>

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
<p>I'm all for M2 Memory Cards actually... They are a cheaper alternative to the expensive memstick pro duo.</p>
<p>Plus, usually all M2 Cards are sold with a Memory Stick Duo adapter so yuo can keep using them on cam's and whatnot.</p>

KingPepper

<p>Stop showing the screens & video's of GT Mobile its doing my head in, come on Sony release this sodding game.
So we can all play it, AT LONG LAST.........</p>

ThavionHawk

<p>I wont get a new PSP untell my US Release Day PSP-1000 dies! I have all I wont and All I need. I wont to know if M2 memery card addapters will work in my US Relase 60GB PS3's card reader? I have to use a Duo to MemStick adapter as is.</p>

Blaze_Fire

Hmm... I already feel sold on this one, but I guess I'll wait until I see review after release day..

bnaughty18

<p>this is sweet! Eye-Candy! ...CFW?! i don't think so...so expensive, please guys, make it affordable,</p>

PR0fessor Burnt

If you think about it, it would be about the same price as the 3000, because the Go! comes with 16gb of memory, which I remember seeing, was $100.
3000 was about 160.99 here and this thing is 249 like wtf:mad1:
and i know they added memory but they took out umd

angelsniper45

<p>wow! the us is getting it first!! yay!</p>