• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Qore Gives First Look At PSP Go!, New Portable Metal Gear Incoming

ryo-n-gats

<p>"How will this slider be more stable?"
They're going to make it better then mobile phone manufacturers. Did Mylo had significant slider problems? No.
"Also, no second analog stick, that is a major disappointment."
Do you really think that Sony would diss 50.000.000 people who bought PSP from one of the first three series?
"This may be a good PSP for those who don't have a PSP, but for those who already have 1"
Sony clearly stated that this is alternate choice. ONE console - TWO concepts. If you like advantages of PSP 1000/2000/3000 buy it/keep it, if you want smaller form factor, digital distribution and 16GB integrated memory buy Go. They're not forcing you to buy it, FFS.</p>

Alex

i must admit, for the first time i posted before reading. Sorry.
I wonder if this will have the same protection as the current PSP's...?

If they do, once the pre-ipl has been cracked we can cfw.

I quite like the internal memory, but with it using the same fw as current PSP's will that mean all the hacks are universal?

mortalinstincts

eXophase Staff
"Also, no second analog stick, that is a major disappointment."
Do you really think that Sony would diss 50.000.000 people who bought PSP from one of the first three series?
I hope you do realize that there is no UMD support. So unless they have a way of giving the digital format of your respective games to you for free, they have already dissed them, so point invalid IMO.

As far as new games are concerned, they should have been able to work out a general 2 way control system. As the second analog usually replaces the functions of the arrow keys.

This is completely possible, as long as the company 'wants' to do it...

Also, as they have released some only PSN titles, im sure there will be more in the future. Thus ditching the UMD and in turn ditching a major part of the PSP 1k-3k series.
Sony clearly stated that this is alternate choice. ONE console - TWO concepts. If you like advantages of PSP 1000/2000/3000 buy it/keep it, if you want smaller form factor, digital distribution and 16GB integrated memory buy Go. They're not forcing you to buy it, FFS.
Yes, it is an alternative choice, i know, however it is a new product in the market and is part of the PSP series. Hence it is comparable to the other PSPs available in the market. I was just stating my point.

Also, the fact that most new services which will be ported onto the PSP Go! will probably not be available for the older PSPs (such as the case was with skype's introduction in the PSP-2000). Hence, in a way, if you want added functionality, you need to buy it. Since there is no alternative with the same features, its not a real alternative choice.

Like, the PSP-3000 has no blue-tooth however the PSP Go! does. So that doesn't make the PSP-3000 a true alternative. Get my point?

"How will this slider be more stable?"
They're going to make it better then mobile phone manufacturers. Did Mylo had significant slider problems? No.

I have not used the Mylo, so no comments on its slider. But most sliders of Sony Ericsson have been epic fails with rough use. The fact that the PSP is a portable device does mean that it will be used roughly. Also, by doing a bit of research on the Mylo, i have realised that you do not always need to open up your slider to access some basic feature such as Music, Video (correct me if im wrong). However, by the looks of the PSP Go! it seems like we'll have to be sliding to even do the smallest things...

Also I'd like to add other points as to why i think PSP Go! is not so good:
It brings in youtube compatibility (CFW already has it. Sony is late)
It allows you to play games without the UMD (Again, CFW has it. Sony is late once again)
It has a 16GB inbuilt Flash Memory (Just use 2 microSD cards with a reader. They are cheap and can provide you a lot more storage space).
Blue-tooth File Transfer (Homebrew apps allow you to do adhoc-file transfers already. Only added advantage is ability to communicate with other devices.)

Looks like theres no DivX (correct me f i'm wrong). They haven't added support for one of the most popular video formats!

So again, to be honest, not a worthy upgrade. Not even close to expectations.

edit---

I quite like the internal memory, but with it using the same fw as current PSP's will that mean all the hacks are universal?
No guarantee about that. They'll probably be using their own modules (just like the PSP-2000 and PSP-3000 do)

Also yeah, i think they will have the same type of security...

ryo-n-gats

<p>"I hope you do realize that there is no UMD support."
OH RLY? Didn't notice that.
"So unless they have a way of giving the digital format of your respective games to you for free, they have already dissed them, so point invalid IMO."
Again. Do they force them to go on Go? NO. They can keep their old PSPs, and play UMDs on them. It would be fair if Sony would allow UMD ripping, but there is no DISSING if something like that doesn't happen.</p>
<p>Learn the difference between forward and backward compatibility.</p>
<p>Explanation: WHAT IS DISSING?</p>
<p>When you sell a console with one stick, and then start making games which use two stick setup, thus forcing whole userbase to buy alternative/redesigned/whatever console. That is dissing.</p>
<p>Like I said, either you can keep/buy your PSP1-3 and play UMDs, or you can upgrade to GO, and if you're not going to upgrade to GO you can still play all upcoming games.</p>
<p>"As far as new games are concerned, they should have been able to work out a general 2 way control system. As the second analog usually replaces the functions of the arrow keys."
Anything is possible, but be serious, please.</p>
<p>"Thus ditching the UMD and in turn ditching a major part of the PSP 1k-3k series."
LOL. How? Every PSP has memory stick slot, you said yourself that you can buy cheap 16gig sd cards, so where is the problem?
FFS they're selling UMDless Patapon right now.</p>
<p>"Like, the PSP-3000 has no blue-tooth however the PSP Go! does. So that doesn't make the PSP-3000 a true alternative. Get my point?"
No, i don't. Why? Because bluetooth, just like additional 32MB of ram, is not CORE funcionality. PSP1000 useres werent hurt when PSP Slims rolled out with 64MB ram, because core funcionality stayed ecactly the same. Yes, they had Skype, but they paid for additional hardware changes. I didn't pay, so i had to live without it (oh noes) but what is important, everything else stayed same.
So if yor're going to say that PSP3000 can't be alternative because it's not possible to use bluetooth headset with it (and possibly share files, but again, you already mentioned that you can use wifi transfer with old series) i really don't know what else to say...</p>
<p>"Also I'd like to add other points as to why i think PSP Go! is not so good:
It allows you to play games without the UMD (Again, CFW has it. Sony is late once again)
It has a 16GB inbuilt Flash Memory (Just use 2 microSD cards with a reader. They are cheap and can provide you a lot more storage space).
Blue-tooth File Transfer (Homebrew apps allow you to do adhoc-file transfers already. Only added advantage is ability to communicate with other devices.)"</p>
<p>This really doesn't make any sense. Youre basicly saying that console is "not so good" because they added new functions? So what if there were already homebroe applications/workarounds for listed "shortcommings"? Adding new functions can't be bad (or as you said "not so good") even if it comes later then expected.</p>
<p>Looking that way, new version of symbian is "not so good" since Nokia has integrated dictionary and office applications into OS, but there were already third party solutions for that?</p>

MenaceInc

Staff Member
"I hope you do realize that there is no UMD support."
OH RLY? Didn't notice that.
"So unless they have a way of giving the digital format of your respective games to you for free, they have already dissed them, so point invalid IMO."
Again. Do they force them to go on Go? NO. They can keep their old PSPs, and play UMDs on them. It would be fair if Sony would allow UMD ripping, but there is no DISSING if something like that doesn't happen.

Learn the difference between forward and backward compatibility.

Explanation: WHAT IS DISSING?

When you sell a console with one stick, and then start making games which use two stick setup, thus forcing whole userbase to buy alternative/redesigned/whatever console. That is dissing.

Like I said, either you can keep/buy your PSP1-3 and play UMDs, or you can upgrade to GO, and if you're not going to upgrade to GO you can still play all upcoming games.

"As far as new games are concerned, they should have been able to work out a general 2 way control system. As the second analog usually replaces the functions of the arrow keys."
Anything is possible, but be serious, please.

"Thus ditching the UMD and in turn ditching a major part of the PSP 1k-3k series."
LOL. How? Every PSP has memory stick slot, you said yourself that you can buy cheap 16gig sd cards, so where is the problem?
FFS they're selling UMDless Patapon right now.

"Like, the PSP-3000 has no blue-tooth however the PSP Go! does. So that doesn't make the PSP-3000 a true alternative. Get my point?"
No, i don't. Why? Because bluetooth, just like additional 32MB of ram, is not CORE funcionality. PSP1000 useres werent hurt when PSP Slims rolled out with 64MB ram, because core funcionality stayed ecactly the same. Yes, they had Skype, but they paid for additional hardware changes. I didn't pay, so i had to live without it (oh noes) but what is important, everything else stayed same.
So if yor're going to say that PSP3000 can't be alternative because it's not possible to use bluetooth headset with it (and possibly share files, but again, you already mentioned that you can use wifi transfer with old series) i really don't know what else to say...

"Also I'd like to add other points as to why i think PSP Go! is not so good:
Blue-tooth File Transfer (Homebrew apps allow you to do adhoc-file transfers already. Only added advantage is ability to communicate with other devices.)"

This really doesn't make any sense. Youre basicly saying that console is "not so good" because they added new functions? So what if there were already homebroe applications/workarounds for listed "shortcommings"? Adding new functions can't be bad (or as you said "not so good") even if it comes later then expected.

Looking that way, new version of symbian is "not so good" since Nokia has integrated dictionary and office applications into OS, but there were already third party solutions for that?

Wow...just wow.

While I would definitely agree with your point of view, I would ask you to please voice it with less sarcasm in the future.

Now, for my opinion, it's an alternative to the current models of PSP and to me seems like a knee-jerk reaction to the iPhone/iPod Touch.

The improved battery life from removal of UMD would be welcome but the removal of UMD may confuse a lot of parents/kids who buy it in a gamestore alongside a wall of PSP UMD games. Digital distribution is a great thing when done right (steam or App store) but when there is a set system in place for buying physical copies at the same POS as the hardware, that can cause issues.

The addition of a second analog stick is unnecessary I think since it's a handheld console. Less of an issue with home consoles since you don't have to hold the screen but with handhelds, you would have your hands in front of you anyways and it may be awkward to use two sticks/nubs at the same time. Not many games use a second analog stick though anyways except for FPS games which nearly everyone can agree that the PSP isn't really up to doing.

icedman204

<p>Another useless Sony PSP hardware revision.</p>
<p>Also When does any "big corporation" ever listen to their consumers lol All they think about is hey we're gunna re-release this, add some new stuff take out old, and some or most people will get suckered into Buying it (Nintendo is Notorious for this, Game boy -> Game boy pocket -> Game boy color -> Game boy Advance -> Game boy Advance SP -> Gameboy Micro -> Nintendo DS -> Nintendo DS Lite -> Lets get rid of the game boy port add camera's and a SD slot with a Wii type menu and call it "Nintendo DSi"). Now you got the PSP (Phat), PSP Slim, PSP 3000 (with a mic oooo nice), PSP Go! (lets get rid of UMD change to a slide feature and piss off consumers). See a trend, Sony is only doing what Nintendo has been doing since the old Grey brick called Gameboy.</p>
<p>So we're stuck with revision after revision of a product till it's End of life cycle starts, and a another next gen portable console comes along.</p>

andychole

<p>@icedman204</p>
<p>You are way wrong there mate! Since when was the NDS anyway like the original Gameboy! You can't play NDS games on a Gameboy! Gameboy Advance was a big upgrade as well! The graphics got better.</p>
<p>The PSP Go is the fourth PSP revision and has the exact same graphics as the original PSP! Of course the others (Slim, and 3000) looked like the original, but this is way different!</p>
<p>You might as well discriminate all the console-makers, because that is what they all do. A new console just has better features, and next-gen consoles have better graphics as well!</p>

Acerthief

I'll just stay with my PSP-1000

MenaceInc

Staff Member
Another useless Sony PSP hardware revision.

Also When does any "big corporation" ever listen to their consumers lol All they think about is hey we're gunna re-release this, add some new stuff take out old, and some or most people will get suckered into Buying it (Nintendo is Notorious for this, Game boy -> Game boy pocket -> Game boy color -> Game boy Advance -> Game boy Advance SP -> Gameboy Micro -> Nintendo DS -> Nintendo DS Lite -> Lets get rid of the game boy port add camera's and a SD slot with a Wii type menu and call it "Nintendo DSi"). Now you got the PSP (Phat), PSP Slim, PSP 3000 (with a mic oooo nice), PSP Go! (lets get rid of UMD change to a slide feature and piss off consumers). See a trend, Sony is only doing what Nintendo has been doing since the old Grey brick called Gameboy.

So we're stuck with revision after revision of a product till it's End of life cycle starts, and a another next gen portable console comes along.

it actually went:
\\Gameboy > Gameboy Pocket > Gameboy Light

\\Gameboy Color

\\Gameboy Advance > Gameboy Advance SP > Gameboy Micro

\\DS > DS Lite > DSi

the GBC was seperate from the original GB since there were certain games that COULDN'T be played on the original GB however all GB games worked on the GBC

The GBA was a MAJOR hardware revision so is seperate and same again for the DS but I definitely agree that Nintendo are awful for releasing redone versions of the same console. It does however keep public interest going in the games industry and in Nintendo products.

Sony are just doing the same with their PSP line but are targeting the PSP Go! at a different audience than the 1k-3k units. Yes, it'll play all the same games but the way the games are distributed and the style of the console makes it aimed at the more tech savvy of game players in my opinion.

Also, I'm doing the same as Acerthief, just sticking with my 1k