• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Recommend me some war movies

Brad

Yoshimi
Recommend me some war movies.

Some I have Seen:
Saving private Ryan
Flags of are fathers
Apocalypse now
We were soldiers

Anything WW2 and Vietnam that you thought was good.

.A.J.

glockenspiel said:
Full Metal Jacket.

Definitely.
Also

Patton
Tora Tora Tora
Memphis Belle
Platoon
Born on the Fourth of July
Good Morning Vietnam for a comedy.

ilyace

This isn't a movie but a t.v show: Band Of Brothers...the single best WW2 t.v show/movie I've ever seen. I liked it more than Saving Private Ryan...It's really really really good.

Hardly said:
It's not WW2 or Vietnam, but black Hawk Down is a really good war film.

+1

TacticalPenguin

I'll third Full Metal Jacket and second Patton and Band of Brothers. Also, while not a typical war movie, Shooter is worth a watch as well.

Riorio99

I'll put a fourth on full metal jacket and add throw in Zulu. Not WW2 or Vietnam, but a damn classic.

Brad

Yoshimi
Seen allot of the named ones but have yet to see FMJ, will give that a look.

Thanks

Brad

Yoshimi
Abe Froeman said:
How have you not seen Full Metal Jacket yet and have an interest in war movies?

When I started watching Apocalypse now and We were soldiers, 5 minutes in I noticed I watched both already. Good chance the same for FMJ, I used to have a TV station dedicated to only war movie. Would watch a few but never read the titles cause I was fixing some food or drink before hand during the start.

Have seen about 75% of the named movie's in here already. Have watched a decent amount of them.

mrray2012

If you have not seen it Black Hawk Down is a must see.

JEMdev

I prefer older war movies, and the more thought provoking ones

some decent newer ones include:

stalingrad
and band of brothers
and schindlers list if that counts

older flicks (and trust me some of these are great)

A farewell to arms (WW1, watch the oldest version of this)
Patten
The 8 hour russian version of war and peace (Russian Civil war, most expensive film ever produced when adjusted for inflation, we are talking about battles with over 100,00 real people participating)
All quiet on the western front (WW1, oldest american version, probably the best war movie ever)
johnny got his gun (WW1, not really a war movie so much as an as it is an antiwar tragedy)

JEMdev

TacticalPenguin said:
All quiet on the western front x2, very good book so I can't imagine the movie is bad.

You should check it out, besides being compelling, having sound, and having fairly good acting, the battle and war scenes are extremely realistic

no special effects, everything is real, a guy died during production

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
I picked up Band of Brothers on Bluray when it released this past Veteran's day. I'm through eight of the ten episodes and I can already say this will most likely be the best part of my Bluray collection for a long time. I never watched this back when it originally aired on HBO and never bothered to watch it on DVD.

This is the greatest WWII film/series you will ever see.

It's only $50 at Best Buy. Pick it up if you own a PS3.