• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Riccitiello Sees Piracy As A Potential Marketplace

Colm

...the DLC has been stolen. Al least I didn't buy the fo3 DLC >.>

James.

User Not Found
On the 360 you can run unsigned code, and people have hacked arcade games. DLC is just a matter of time.

agentnnc

That Guy I Am
This isn't a way to stop piracy, it's a way to steal money from people who actually buy the games.

Dan

Contributor
This isn't a way to stop piracy, it's a way to steal money from people who actually buy the games.

No...

It's saying "If you want DLC, buy the game. If you pirate it, it's your loss." They don't make you buy the DLC either, it's optional.

Josey Wales

Evil Poptart
Pretty much hes saying "make everything digital to avoid piracy" but its not going to stop there. Digitalization can just as easily be ripped off as physical.

agentnnc

That Guy I Am
No...

It's saying "If you want DLC, buy the game. If you pirate it, it's your loss." They don't make you buy the DLC either, it's optional.

It mentions paying for that extra content. It sounds to me that they're thinking of taking parts out of the game and selling it via DLC.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
It mentions paying for that extra content. It sounds to me that they're thinking of taking parts out of the game and selling it via DLC.

This was one of the initial fears that people had with the idea of DLC, that game elements would be held back intentionally for DLC just to make more money. Personally, I don't think the majority of development studies do this.

They finish the game then while they're waiting on getting onto the next project and the game being published, they think of cool stuff that would be nice in the game.

Of course I could be completely wrong and everyone in the industry could be intentionally screwing over customers to make more money.

Adiuvo

How does he propose they not just pirate the DLC? You can do it with any console except the PS3.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
This was one of the initial fears that people had with the idea of DLC, that game elements would be held back intentionally for DLC just to make more money. Personally, I don't think the majority of development studies do this.

They finish the game then while they're waiting on getting onto the next project and the game being published, they think of cool stuff that would be nice in the game.

Of course I could be completely wrong and everyone in the industry could be intentionally screwing over customers to make more money.

Currently, I don't think the majority of developers intentionally hold back content, but I know for a fact Capcom and Namco are guilty of this, leaving DLC bits on the actual disc. For example the versus mode DLC for RE5 only consists of an unlock code. Same with extra characters for Soulcalibur IV.

SilverSpring

Currently, I don't think the majority of developers intentionally hold back content, but I know for a fact Capcom and Namco are guilty of this, leaving DLC bits on the actual disc. For example the versus mode DLC for RE5 only consists of an unlock code. Same with extra characters for Soulcalibur IV.

A lot of companies do this, especially on the PS3 where they can use Bluray discs which has a lot more storage. The content is already stored on the disc, purchasing DLC just unlocks the content from the disc. So I agree on the intentionally holding back comment (not that I'm saying all companies do this though). But with the storage capacity of Bluray, companies can fit a whole lot more data on the disc. So to make more money they just hold back on some of the content and release it as DLC (which is really just an unlock).

spike021

iPhone Developer (prev. PSP Dev)
Hey guys! Long time no take, eh? Just a quick comment.

I decided to log back on specifically to share my thoughts and views on this topic since I understand it quite well through working with the iPhone App Store.

A lot of companies do this, especially on the PS3 where they can use Bluray discs which has a lot more storage. The content is already stored on the disc, purchasing DLC just unlocks the content from the disc. So I agree on the intentionally holding back comment (not that I'm saying all companies do this though). But with the storage capacity of Bluray, companies can fit a whole lot more data on the disc. So to make more money they just hold back on some of the content and release it as DLC (which is really just an unlock).

This works extremely well in certain cases because it had a multitude of varied advantages. For instance, in a thread that I viewed a while back, people were making an argument about downloading content and how it isn't preferred if the content happens to be of a substantial size. This means that developers could potentially place pre-made content onto a disc at time of release, at least in part. This would mean less of a download for a consumer, etc etc. Another advantage perhaps more beneficial to the company itself is of course anti-piracy measures. This also gives developers a larger safety net to work on new DLC. For example if a game is just released, the company might want to have a new map or level out within a month of release, so they store it on the disc (or in the original download; whatever the case may be) and unlock it in between launch and the date of newly created content being released.

The list could go on and on (I could have elaborated more, but I do have lots of stuff to do, hence why I rarely log on anymore) but I think you guys already have the gist of it.

I might find time to come back, but I'll have to see. :scared:

El Diablo

This. People can pirate the game, but would then have to pay for DLC, but people who buy their games are now going to pay for the game, as well as the DLC that was left out that SHOULD have been in.

I got Motorstorm when I got my ps3 when it came out and within a few weeks there was shit on the store already making you pay 2 dollars for a different skin for a car, or 5 dollars for a new car or map or something. Stuff like this is fucking retarded especially when the game is shot and small enough as it is. All it does is rip off people who are actually paying full price for their games in the first place. Trying to say they are targeting people who pirate the actual games to try and get the people to pay at least some money for DLC if they didn't buy the game, is just fucking over the people who did buy the game, by making them pay even more now.

Bassically what I'm saying is making people pay for DLC to be able to have a "complete" game and have things that should have just been in it original is fucking stupid and greedy, and will only make people want to pirate more so they don't have to pay for the 60 dollar game in addition to the missing content.