• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Rumor - Elder Scrolls 5 a Direct Sequel to Oblivion

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
Try not to nut all over yourself Adiuvo.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-11-23-rumour-elder-scrolls-5-in-the-works

Bethesda Game Studios is hard at work on the fifth game in the Elder Scrolls series, according to a new report.

It's a direct sequel to 2006's stonking great fantasy role-playing game Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Eurogamer Denmark said.

We've asked the author of the story, Eurogamer Denmark Editor-in-chief Kristian West, to translate into English for us (apparently Google doesn't do it justice). Here's what he said:

"This source not only confirmed that the game is in current production, but also spoke briefly about the content - with fantasy-sounding phrases like Dragon Lord, something with The Blades - and that voice acting for the characters in the game is currently happening in the weeks to follow.

"The same source confirmed, with official game documents in hand, that this will be the chronological sequel to what happened in The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, which is the latest game in the now 16-years-old Elder Scrolls saga and by itself one of the better RPGs for PC and consoles.

"The sequel to Oblivion is coming, we can hereby confirm without hesitation. It's been a while since 2006, hasn't it?"

Rumour of an Elder Scrolls sequel has been rife since Oblivion's launch.

In August Bethesda Game Studios told Eurogamer the majority of its 90 or so staff are beavering away on the new game - thought to be a new Elder Scrolls title - which has been in development for two years.

Executive producer Todd Howard said in an interview with Eurogamer at QuakeCon that the studio's current title will be announced soon, but he couldn't say exactly when. "I have a sense but we're not ready even to talk about [the timing of the announcement], because it might change. I don't want to disappoint people.

"One thing I can say is that from when you first hear about it to when it's out will be the shortest it's been for us. It's pretty far along. When we show it, we want to show a lot, because there's a lot of game there to play right now.

"You know, if [global VP of PR and marketing] Pete Hines came in and said, 'I want you to show it,' I'd be like, 'Okay, I'm ready to show it.' But we've just decided for now not to yet."

Howard wouldn't be drawn on many details about the game, but said the technology was derived from the engine that powered Fallout 3, albeit with significant modifications.

"Fallout 3 technically does a lot more than Oblivion. The new stuff is an even bigger jump from that," he said.

"I can say it is on the existing platforms, which we're really happy with. You almost feel like you have a new console when you see the game."

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
they can take as long as they want, just hope they do some proper QA testing, make sure to get all the game ending bugs

Adiuvo

Too late.

It's been rumored for so long now that a detailed 'announcement' isn't really surprising but I am interested in how they're going to pull of a direct sequel to Oblivion unless it's roughly 100 years later. In game the Champion of Cyrodiil is still around and s/he would presumably handle any issues that spring up.

Nevertheless, I'm really interested in the new engine. Multi-core support for one, plus the better lighting systems. Self shadows should actually look defined with a new lighting system.

Riorio99

I'll be fairly disappointed if this is true. As much as I enjoyed it, I've already adventured around Cyrodill. I want something new.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
I still haven't played Oblivion...or Morrowind...or any of the Elder Scrolls games...I should fix that.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
I'd rather have a direct sequel to Morrowind. Never completed it 100% but despite the now-primitive graphics, the world feels much more alive than Cyrodill.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
Did you try Shivering Isles? It's been a while but I think that was the DLC with the tripped out landscape.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Did you try Shivering Isles? It's been a while but I think that was the DLC with the tripped out landscape.

Yeah you're right, the swamp locales do remind me a bit of Morrowind. I'll have to check it out.

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
i hope that they expand the world to include a few of the other nations ontop of cyrodill, unlikly, but it would be an unbelievable massive world if they did

Adiuvo

Having the multiple nations in a single game wouldn't work too well considering how different they are from each other. Structure is impossible due to each having a unique culture, so unless there's some ridiculous plot about how the whole of Nirn is being abandoned by Aedra or something similar it's not going to happen.

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
Having the multiple nations in a single game wouldn't work too well considering how different they are from each other. Structure is impossible due to each having a unique culture, so unless there's some ridiculous plot about how the whole of Nirn is being abandoned by Aedra or something similar it's not going to happen.

i'm not saying it'd be easy, just saying it'd be awesome to be able to explore each nation in one game, or having just the massive world alone would be amazing

Chathurga

That doesn't even make a tiny bit of sense, would our minds not be able to handle the culture changes or what? Please try and explain your post Adiuvo I'd love to hear what you come up with.

I had 3 main problems with Oblivion that I hope can be fixed for 5:
1) The engine is annoying. Character animation is all funky and the way characters run up to you and make you freeze for a conversation bugs the hell outa me.
2) The way enemies and loot scaled with your level. There was no reward for doing something hard.
3) The place felt empty. The capitol of their known world had maybe 100 people living in it, what the hell?

Other than that I'm pumped, loved Oblivion.

Adiuvo

It would be too big. The story necessary to tie together multiple nations would be ridiculous in it's generalities and any detail regarding the specific cultures in Elder Scrolls lore wouldn't happen. The lore really is huge, and very detailed. I'd put it on the same level as Star Wars. That sense of scale didn't show up with Oblivion outside of books but it did with Morrowind and mods for both games really flesh it out using details provided by books and interviews.

Joey

Based on Fallout 3 technology? Fuck that. Call me when you put out a game based on id Tech 5, Bethesda...

MenaceInc

Staff Member
Based on Fallout 3 technology? Fuck that. Call me when you put out a game based on id Tech 5, Bethesda...

Umm...Fallout 3 technology? Fallout 3 was made using the Gamebyro engine which was used in Oblivion as well... :\

Although since ZeniMax bought id, it'd probably make sense to make games based off in-house engines instead of licensing outside ones.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Umm...Fallout 3 technology? Fallout 3 was made using the Gamebyro engine which was used in Oblivion as well... :\

Although since ZeniMax bought id, it'd probably make sense to make games based off in-house engines instead of licensing outside ones.

I think his point is the Gamebryo engine is horrendously buggy. I'm not sure why they're not using id Tech 5, perhaps development started before the id acquisition?

MenaceInc

Staff Member
I think his point is the Gamebryo engine is horrendously buggy. I'm not sure why they're not using id Tech 5, perhaps development started before the id acquisition?

Hmm, very possible actually since they've been lazing about after Fallout 3.

Joey

So they're using technology that's been around for at least 7 years. Technology that wasn't amazing when Oblivion was released in 2006.

Like I said, Call me when Fallout 4 comes out on id Tech 5.

Adiuvo

To be fair, a number of improvements have been made to Gamebyro. A lot of the bugs are gone compared to what happened in Oblivion. The main thing is just the animations which comes from Beth just doing a poor job of them. Some mod added weaponry and fighting styles is stupendously animated.

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
So they're using technology that's been around for at least 7 years. Technology that wasn't amazing when Oblivion was released in 2006.

Like I said, Call me when Fallout 4 comes out on id Tech 5.

to be fair, oblivion on the 360 was defiantly a top notch graphical game at the time, even now, it's extremely beautiful to transverse the terrain