• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Rumor: PSP-4000 In 2009

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
psplogo4.jpg

Looks like Sony isn't taking a break from releasing yearly PSP refreshes, that is, if a report from Eurogamer is to be believed. Citing "publishing sources," the site claims that a PSP-4000 will be released in 2009. While said sources did not offer any insight in the way of actual details, the 4000 will presumably feature slight hardware upgrades. We're placing our bets now and saying that built-in storage will likely be included in the 4000 series. It just makes sense, seeing as Sony now has PlayStation Store specific to the PSP up and running. Not to mention, if more PSone classics are on the way, extra built-in storage will undoubtedly come in handy. What else could they possibly add?

The same source told the site that a PSP2 is indeed in the works, despite Reeve's recent denial. Assuming Sony stays in line with its yearly hardware releases on the portable front, it wouldn't be a surprise to see that in late 2010. Games are already in the works, reportedly.

PSP-4000 in 2009, PSP2 later [Eurogamer]

Juliet

<p>It'll be appreciated but i don't think Sony will include built-in storage, then memory sticks won't be sold that much. Maybe built-in Go!Cam...</p>

KingPepper

<p>Personally i can not see a reason for a newer model, as PSP 3000 has not been hacked yet completely, so sony have no reason too.....</p>

Kwipper

<p>Most likely they're upgrading the LCD hardware to get rid of the screen interlacing problem.</p>

Chilly Willy

Contributor
My own guesses:
1 - Complete elimination of service mode. No chance of hacking at that point (then we'll see the return of the mod-chip)
2 - Like Kwipper said - change of LCD module.
3 - Like Juliet said - built in camera. They built in a mic on the last one, why not a camera on the next?

january39

eXo Staff
Twin analogue Nubs would be great.........

Juliet

<p>I'd like to add illuminated buttons, ability to change their colours, auto on/dimmer for them, etc. For the software part, i wanna see Custom EQ.</p>

Larz258

They may have finally figured out how to get homebrew support without pirating, all though I don't see why that wouldn't be just a firmware release.