• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PSV Rumor: PSP Save Game Exploit Working On PS Vita

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
d225d94a.jpg

The PS Vita just hit store shelves in Japan yesterday and not to our surprise, hackers are already fiddling with the device. teck4 reports that the PS Vita is still vulnerable to a save game exploit present in PSP firmware 6.31. Above is a photo of the PS Vita running a 'Hello World' application inside the Vita's PSP environment.

We're filing this under rumor for now, seeing as the work in question has not been published, but it looks legit.

Given that the PS Vita runs PSP code inside an emulator, which chances are is completely sandboxed, it seems unlikely that "privilege" escalation is possible[...]

Continue reading: Rumor: PSP Save Game Exploit Working On PS Vita...

hush404

@Dan - that was an actual dude's face before? Wow. *Mind blown.
@article - I doubt a PSP exploit would correlate into cracking the Vita.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
The hack isn't really viable anyway unless they find another way in, since Sony can easily update the affected PSN game if this exploit were made public.

vane

@x3sphere: not to mention Sony can easily remove the psp emulator feature.. If I remember correctly in the ps3 terms of use they added that they have the right to remove any feature from the system. Not sure what the terms are for the vita but if they did it on the ps3 by removing the linux box, who knows what they'll do to block us out on the vita.

eldiablov

Contributor
@x3sphere: not to mention Sony can easily remove the psp emulator feature.. If I remember correctly in the ps3 terms of use they added that they have the right to remove any feature from the system. Not sure what the terms are for the vita but if they did it on the ps3 by removing the linux box, who knows what they'll do to block us out on the vita.

I think it'd be a bit of a harder decision to make to remove PSP emulation considering they actually make money from it.