• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Rumor: PSP Slim Details Surface

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
PSPBack_Wt.jpg

We know a slimmed down version of the PSP is coming... but when? And what will be changed in terms of hardware? Several sources close to a popular gaming blog indicate that this slimmed down PSP will be unveiled next month during E3.

Supposedly, the revised PSP will sport a new LED screen that will deliver an ultra-crisp image in a smaller, more compact size. Space isn't the only savings you'll get though, this new LED will reportedly use much less battery power, thereby increasing battery life up to four times longer than that of the original PSP. In addition to these features is a faster UMD drive, retooled D-Pad, and 8GBs of internal flash memory.

How much will this set you back? Only around $170, Kotaku claims. Everything else sounds 'right', but the 8GBs of flash memory... sounds too good to be true. E3 is quickly approaching, so we'll know for sure if these claims turn out to be true very soon.

PSP Slim Details Revealed [Kotaku]

Cheezeball99

But I was committed after that birthday party...
Sounds too awesome... But I might as well just disregard it, because I'm sure it'll come with at least 3.50, which probably won't be hackable.

J

Junit

yeah , no ones gonna buy it until theres a downgrader for 3.50 :p

Tenshigami

Confirmed from a friend who works at Best Buy. These new 'slim' PSPs will have anti-hack and anti-downgrade stuff built-in that will brick the PSP if you try to downgrade. It's probably just another version of the TA-082/086s, but also most likely different in some way that will make the idstorage method not work.

I first heard about the anti-downgrade stuff here:

http://www.pspbrew.com/index.php?page=newsPage&id=356

While it states it as a rumor, my friend confirmed it. Also upon seeing this article here on Exophase about 'slim' PSPs, I asked him if these were them, and his response: "Yup."

Just thought I'd give people a heads up. If you plan on getting a PSP and want homebrew capabilities, don't wait for the slims.

XTM_Rage

aXr^2 Developer
Confirmed from a friend who works at Best Buy. These new 'slim' PSPs will have anti-hack and anti-downgrade stuff built-in that will brick the PSP if you try to downgrade. It's probably just another version of the TA-082/086s, but also most likely different in some way that will make the idstorage method not work.

I first heard about the anti-downgrade stuff here:

http://www.pspbrew.com/index.php?page=newsPage&id=356

While it states it as a rumor, my friend confirmed it. Also upon seeing this article here on Exophase about 'slim' PSPs, I asked him if these were them, and his response: "Yup."

Just thought I'd give people a heads up. If you plan on getting a PSP and want homebrew capabilities, don't wait for the slims.

I'm sure that the modchip companies will develop something to enable use of homebrew firmware on the new slim. I could store mostly all my games just on the internal flash if it is really going to be 8GB. XD

Cheezeball99

But I was committed after that birthday party...
Yea, all that plus it has a smaller screen? I thought the PSP screen had a REALLY crisp look to it, I mean, it's 4 inches or whatever, with 272x480, it doesn't need to be smaller. The only thing it needs screenwise is not so much ghosting/blurring.

Krelian

Changes for sure.

We won't really know what it will have until launch... most hardware (and software) changes from it's trade show debut to it's actual production model anyway.

Chilly Willy

Contributor
An LED screen that's smaller and uses less power? I guess they mean OLED. That's popular on cameras. Two issues: OLED isn't very bright and can be drowned out by sunlight, and it doesn't have a very long life.

Tenshigami

An LED screen that's smaller and uses less power? I guess they mean OLED. That's popular on cameras. Two issues: OLED isn't very bright and can be drowned out by sunlight, and it doesn't have a very long life.

Does the DS (at least the DS Phat anyway) use OLED? That would explain a lot. My DS backlighting gets drowned out by even the smallest ambient light. While it drains the battery something fierce, Sony was at LEAST smart enough to use a screen type that could be seen in just about any light for the current PSP models.

They should keep the current screen but offer more levels of brightness (not necesarily brighter, but more levels in-between the current 4). Also, a button to toggle the brightness in the opposite direction wouldn't hurt either. =P

Chilly Willy

Contributor
Does the DS (at least the DS Phat anyway) use OLED? That would explain a lot. My DS backlighting gets drowned out by even the smallest ambient light. While it drains the battery something fierce, Sony was at LEAST smart enough to use a screen type that could be seen in just about any light for the current PSP models.

They should keep the current screen but offer more levels of brightness (not necesarily brighter, but more levels in-between the current 4). Also, a button to toggle the brightness in the opposite direction wouldn't hurt either. =P

If it has a backlight, it's LCD, not LED.

LCD = Liquid Crystal Display. Reflected light or light from a backlight is modulated by rotating polar molecules via electric fields.

LED = Light Emitting Diode. Light is directly produced by a small semiconductive device. Arrays of different color LEDs can make a screen.

OLED = Organic Light Emitting Diode. New type of LED made from organic materials. Gives nice sharp screens, but isn't terribly bright. Also breaks down quicker. Is cheaper and easier to make than traditional LEDs, making it better for screens.