• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Sega Taking Its Sweet Time With Fixing Sonic

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
sonic3.jpg

While the many of the modern Sonic games aren't bad per se, they certainly lack the charm and longevity of the original Genesis installments. Back in the day, Sonic titles went head to head with Mario. Now, there's no comparison between the two in terms of quality. Relatively speaking, of course. There has been subpar Mario titles before, but nearly all the main entries are considered AAA-worthy.

Sega is looking to fix that and in turn hopefully win back core gamers who were previously fans of the franchise, but company VP of Marketing Sean Ratcliffe says doing so will take time. A significant amount of time, apparently:[blockquote2]Interestingly, I think Sonic Unleashed was very well received by the kids. There was some talk about the werehog aspect, the slower pacing and more combat-oriented gameplay, but when we go out and test this stuff and sit down with the consumers, kids actually like that. I think older, die-hard Sega fans who grew up with the franchise and the first Sonic the Hedgehog associate Sonic more with 2-D side-scrolling super fast, and they liked the daytime gameplay, but when it came to the slower paced gameplay they were fairly critical of that, and that's fine – they have their opinions.[/blockquote2]Gee, at least the kids like it. I actually skipped Unleashed, partially due to a lack of interest, but from what I saw through media trailers, it feels like Sega is headed in the right direction. Perhaps one day Sonic will return to his former glory.

Sega: Sonic Quality to Be 'Fixed Over Time' [IG]

Kwipper

<p>You know what. Sega should stop trying to cater to kids of this generation, if it means that they could actually FIX sonic the hedgehog games. I mean were the kids of this generation going to the original Sonic the Hedgehog games and saying.... "You know what would really be cool, if sonic had a girlfriend, if sonic had another keweler sidekick.. who was emo and goth.. and had guns, if sonic the hedgehog turned into a werehog and had gameplay similar to god of war."</p>
<p>If this is the actual reason why Sonic has been sucking all of these years then I really wish Sega stopped listening to kids of this generation.. CAUSE THEY'RE RUINING SONIC THE HEDGEHOG!!!</p>

Darkchild

The Doctor
<p>I'll only believe this when I see it. Sonic games from what I have seen are sucky. I mean... a Hedgehog werewolf?! Come on! Most levels are at night! I wanna race with that lil' blue critter!</p>
<p>But alas... I can't...</p>

MenaceInc

Staff Member
It's a pity since they did so well with the first DS Sonic game.

I'd like to see 2.5D remakes of the original games ala Megaman Maverick Hunter X or Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles. Just imagine how Sonic 2, 3 and S&K would look...

eviloverlady

<p>I played the game and hated it. the Werehog aspect was horrible. I just wanted to play during the day time when he ran around real fast.</p>