• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.
  • If your profile is showing up as Not Ranked, please review our rules page and follow the appeal process detailed there.

Sharing broken?

TVippy

Whenever I try to manually share some achievement to my Facebook, it says "OK, shared", but shares only the last achievement earned, not the one I wanted. Also, is there a way for it to auto post to Facebook all my achievements?

When I try to post to Twitter, it too says "OK, Shared", but nothing is shared to Twitter at all!

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
I can't reproduce the Twitter issue. What game are you using it on? I wonder if the achievement title is making it go over 140 characters. Right now it only tweets the last achievement earned, in the near future you'll be able to select which one to share.

As for Facebook auto-sharing, they don't allow apps that automatically post to walls anymore, unfortunately.

TVippy

I can't reproduce the Twitter issue. What game are you using it on? I wonder if the achievement title is making it go over 140 characters. Right now it only tweets the last achievement earned, in the near future you'll be able to select which one to share.
Thanks for the quick response. Twitter seems to work as intended now. However, when I try to post on Facebook, it only posts the first trophy and then (when trying to share a trophy from ANOTHER game) it just clones the previous post (trophy), from the previous game. Example:

1. Sharing the latest trophy from game A (shared fine)
2. Sharing the latest trophy from game B (generates the same post that was generated for Game A)

Also, if
As for Facebook auto-sharing, they don't allow apps that automatically post to walls anymore, unfortunately.
this is true, it's an enormous tragedy for me. You mean to say that PS3/PS4/Vita won't be posting my trophies automatically??? I'm new to Facebook and trophy sharing.

TVippy

I honestly see no point in sharing anything manually, as my goal is to create a chronology of my gaming achievement (for myself, not other people).

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
The restrictions apply only when posting to a user's wall. PS4 uses a different method by automatically posting to Facebook's activity log, but items in the log won't display to others unless you go on Facebook and click 'Show on Timeline' for each trophy. And with that method, it then only shows on your profile page and not the news feed.

Anyway, posting to the activity log is something I could implement if you want that. I could see it being useful if you are just using it for your own purposes.

Oh and the duplication issue should be fixed. Thanks for catching that!

TVippy

he restrictions apply only when posting to a user's wall. PS4 uses a different method by automatically posting to Facebook's activity log, but items in the log won't display to others unless you go on Facebook and click 'Show on Timeline' for each trophy.
I need it to display to ME only, this thing is exclusively for me. If I got you correctly, then I will see it fine on my main FB page (I don't know the diff. between their activity log and timeline).

Anyway, posting to the activity log is something I could implement if you want that.
Well, of course I want that, it's my dream. To gather all my gaming activity FROM ALL THE PLATFORMS in one place. No other site allows it. So if you could do it, so it does so AUTOMATICALLY, then it'd be insanely great. Thanks for the awesome site and being so close to your community!

Oh and the duplication issue should be fixed. Thanks for catching that!
So it was indeed an issue and you've already fixed that? Gotta try it now!

TVippy

Anyway, posting to the activity log is something I could implement if you want that.
Will it be time-consuming to implement? I'd love the feature. That way, I could also allow things to show on my wall through (albeit manually) clicking on the events in the activity log, correct? Although, even if not, showing all Exophase detected games just in the Activity Log is more than enough.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Will it be time-consuming to implement? I'd love the feature. That way, I could also allow things to show on my wall through (albeit manually) clicking on the events in the activity log, correct? Although, even if not, showing all Exophase detected games just in the Activity Log is more than enough.

It would be pretty easy to implement but I went over Facebook's rules again and I don't think we can automatically post to the Activity Log either. Each posting needs to be associated with some kind of manual interaction (presumably to prevent spam), so it seems like batch inserts of trophies/achievements wouldn't be allowed...

PS4 as far as I know doesn't batch insert, it posts as soon as you earn the trophy, so it qualifies as a manual interaction.

TVippy

So, no loophole can be found in their system? Too bad... such a cool feature wasted.
Maybe allow for some cooldown before each posting? Won't work? How does it know exactly it's a manual interaction? I can start 2 diff games on PS4 in succession, 5 seconds before the start of the 2nd game and it will post it no problem, so shouldn't be a delay thing, right?

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
I'll have to take a look at the API documentation again. I put this on hold because I don't really want to rely on workarounds.