• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PS3 Sony: Banhammer To Strike PS3 Hack Users

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
psnetwork.jpg

Predictability, in the interests of preserving integrity of PSN, Sony issued a statement today in which it confirms that those "running unauthorized or pirated software" are at risk being of banned. Any user detected using circumvention devices or related hacks will have their access to PSN "terminated permanently" by the almighty banhammer.

Hardly surprising to see Sony respond in this manner[...]

Continue reading: Sony: Banhammer To Strike PS3 Hack Users...

TeamOverload

Eh, I'm not too concerned. With the level of access we have we can probably get around these bans anyways. No worries.

Riorio99

Kinda glad I didn't do the hack now, but I'm willing to bet the hackers get around this pretty quickly.

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
Out of curiosity, how do they detect hacked consoles?

i don't think they can detect the console is truely hacked under 3.56, but they could look at your psn logs and see if you've played any homebrew, or non white-listed games

Richlando

They can tell even if its spoofed to report back as 3.56 by not getting the callbacks from the firmware regardless so no getting around this until that is addressed...

It's mainly targeting those using bypasses for the firmware check.

It's a DNS trick which alters the packets, spoofing the firmware ID. You used to have to use a seperate PC to act as a proxy, but some homebrew tools have surfaced which allow you to do it straight from the PS3, like this.

Sousanator

Shockingly Delicious
It's mainly targeting those using bypasses for the firmware check.

It's a DNS trick which alters the packets, spoofing the firmware ID. You used to have to use a seperate PC to act as a proxy, but some homebrew tools have surfaced which allow you to do it straight from the PS3, like this.
That method still uses a proxy with a PC (you just have to flash a modified cert file).

And also, there are reports from a bunch of forums from people who haven't even been online in 3 weeks (before 3.56 came out) are getting the warning emails, so its nothing to do with the DNS method.

Since we have such deep access the worst they can do is delete your PSN account, but since they are free anyways, it's only going to effect paying customers (with cfw). I don't foresee Sonys banhammer to be as effective as Microsofts.

TeamOverload

Yeah, I've been online with it and played backups, and haven't received any emails, so who knows :/ running 3.55 kmeaw with PS3DNS and Charles to get on PSN.

XsavioR

I really have no use for sony products until they get new people running the company. The real power is the consumers , choose not to buy.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
Didn't know where to post this, not entirely sure if the source is reliable either, but...

http://twitter.com/Computermaster/status/38027440429342720#

Credit card details for PSN transactions are potentially sent in cleartext.

in that irc log, the user who posted the example, stats a couple time, it's a fake, as well, it seems kindof random to mention the credit card stuff like that, since a search on that log shows that "plaintext", and "credit" are only used at that point in the log.

personally, from the way the log reads, i think he was just making an example, and the person whom posted that twitter, took it the wrong way, but that's an assumption i've only made after a quick glance at the log

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Cant you just make a new PSN account and move on?

As I understand it they ban the console ID in most cases. If you create a new account and try to sign on using the affected unit, that account is instantly flagged.

Josey Wales

Evil Poptart
Interestingly full of aids. Basically Sony feels that if you hack your console, you may never utilize the multiplayer of any game ever again

El Xando

"Dam whippersnapper"
Interestingly full of aids. Basically Sony feels that if you hack your console, you may never utilize the multiplayer of any game ever again

That's what Microsoft do, too...