• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PS3 Sony: Cross-Game Voice Chat On PS3 Not Possible, Cites RAM Limitations

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
psnetwork.jpg

While the upcoming PS Vita will have cross-game voice chat on day one, many have wondered why the feature still hasn't made its way to PS3, especially given how oft-requested it is. To that end, Sony has finally spoken out on why it's not coming, pinning blame on a lack of available RAM.

Sony Worldwide Studios president Shuhei Yoshida tells Eurogamer it's down to the way Sony designed the underlying firmware[...]

Continue reading: Sony: Cross-Game Voice Chat On PS3 Not Possible, Cites RAM Limitations...

Deathrow

Not enough RAM? You make a slim model but don't have any plans to add RAM? This company is pathetic.

Biggy204

So are they saying the 360 is capable of more then the supposed high powered PS3.
They've added RAM or CPU power before (looks at the PSP) even now Sony wants to make another PSP before Vita becomes available. Im pretty sureSony could do that to the PS3 as well,then again its Sony (remove features to make way for new features).

Robby

Los Doyers!
One reason why I hate gaming on the PS3.

Dan

Contributor
Legitimately don't like Sony after their recent shenanigans. I'm really not phased by the cross game chat, but like Abe said, it took five year to tell us this...

Azul

They can't add RAM to it, you have to code for the same base system all the time. You can't make a game be only for ps3 ver.2 or something because it needs more RAM. Then you'll just alienate all your ver.1 users.
They also never added RAM or CPU power to the PSP. They had it crippled from the start to get developers to make the most out of what they had. I believe that later on they unlocked a higher clock speed. The PSP GO might have different specs but I'm unsure.
The 360 has RAM issues too. That one of the reasons why Valve hasn't updated TF2 on the 360. Valve says that they've hit a RAM limit.
I don't play a ton of online games with my buddies, but I don't understand X-Game chat... if you want to talk to them why aren't you playing the same game as them.

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
They can't add RAM to it
As others have pointed out, they can, and have done it with other platforms.

Personally i believe doing so defeats the concept of a console, but it's not outside the realm of possibility.

The 360 has RAM issues too. That one of the reasons why Valve hasn't updated TF2 on the 360. Valve says that they've hit a RAM limit.
any developer that complains about ram limits in this day is just lazy, and relying far too much on assets to do effects, which in turn can cost more ram space, then if they generated the effects in code.

I don't play a ton of online games with my buddies, but I don't understand X-Game chat... if you want to talk to them why aren't you playing the same game as them.
If you can't understand why people would want to talk to their friends over the people in the game that they are playing, well i guess to each their own.

Also, i call Bullshit on this exscuse.

Robby

Los Doyers!
They can't add RAM to it, you have to code for the same base system all the time. You can't make a game be only for ps3 ver.2 or something because it needs more RAM. Then you'll just alienate all your ver.1 users.
They also never added RAM or CPU power to the PSP. They had it crippled from the start to get developers to make the most out of what they had. I believe that later on they unlocked a higher clock speed. The PSP GO might have different specs but I'm unsure.
PS3 fanboy ^^

El Diablo

I agree with him, I don't see the big deal about cross game chat, if you want to talk to them so badly why aren't you playing with them, or why can't you just send them a message. I don't know why cross game voice chat is such a big deal.

Trigun

That guy, who Records Music.
Yes they did. They doubled the RAM in the 2000 series units to 64MB compared to the 32MB that was in the 1000 units.

and all that did was decrease loading times a tiny bit and allow for UMD caching.
And minor web browser performance boost, but it still is slow as shit.

Also just because it has less RAM doesn't mean=inferior to 360.

Cross game chat is a hardly a game breaking feature anyway. Call them on skype, or on the phone, or IM them, or do it through messages ffs.

Robby

Los Doyers!
I agree with him, I don't see the big deal about cross game chat, if you want to talk to them so badly why aren't you playing with them, or why can't you just send them a message. I don't know why cross game voice chat is such a big deal.

You could be playing different games because you don't feel like playing the game he/she is playing, you could not have the game he/she is playing, you just want to talk to him/her because him/her is your friend and friends talk, also if you are in a party of 4-6 and everyone is playing something different with maybe 2 people playing the same game, it's nice to be able to talk to each other. Also, idk about you but having a convo by sending messages is horrible. Takes forever to type then you have to pause your game and type, then resume everytime you receive a message and send one. Not everyone wants to have their computer on and skype running either.

I used to be a major xbox player and started playing my ps3 recently that's the one thing I hate. It feels so lonely playing games now. I guess if you just been a ps3 player and never experienced it then yeah you won't know what the big deal is.
imo psn is lightyears behind xbl. Actually, it's more of a fact.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
and all that did was decrease loading times a tiny bit and allow for UMD caching.
And minor web browser performance boost, but it still is slow as shit.

Also just because it has less RAM doesn't mean=inferior to 360.

Cross game chat is a hardly a game breaking feature anyway. Call them on skype, or on the phone, or IM them, or do it through messages ffs.

lolwut. I was stating a fact to an incorrect statement. That guy said that no PSP's had more RAM than any other, I said otherwise and it's a well-known fact among the PSP community. It relates to the thread as Sony stated that cross-game chat isn't possible due to being limited by RAM and people had thought that Sony could just add extra RAM to a revised PS3.

Also, thanks for giving me a chance to correct another wrong statement. The PS3 has the same amount of RAM as the Xbox 360, not less. It is however split in a different way with 256MB being explicitly set out for the graphics hardware and the rest of the system compared to the 360 which can define how much is used for graphics but they still have the same amount.

BlackSheep

I used to be a major xbox player and started playing my ps3 recently that's the one thing I hate. It feels so lonely playing games now. I guess if you just been a ps3 player and never experienced it then yeah you won't know what the big deal is.
imo psn is lightyears behind xbl. Actually, it's more of a fact.
imo i always end up muting every one so i dont think its that great of an experience.

Robby

Los Doyers!
imo i always end up muting every one so i dont think its that great of an experience.

I'm talking about party chat aka being in a party with friends or people you know. You join parties on the xbox that you just mute everyone? Yeah, that make's perfect sense.
And how is that an opinion? lol