• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PS3 Sony Files Lawsuit Over PS3 Hacks, Names Geohot, Fail0verflow Team

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
fail0verflow.jpg

Sony's legal suits are at it again, filing a lawsuit against famed hacker George "Geohot" Hotz and the fail0verflow team. Along with Hotz, it specifically names Hector Martin and Sven Peter, both of whom gave a revealing presentation on Sony's broken PS3 security last month at 27C3. 100 other individuals have been targeted as well, although they remain unnamed.

The suit contests that said defendants are in violation of DMCA under U.S. law, pointing to the recent publication of the PS3's encryption routines and subsequent release of Hotz's firmware 3.55 jailbreak.

It seems Sony isn't letting this slide, not without a fight[...]

Continue reading: Sony Files Lawsuit Against Geohot, Fail0verflow Team...

Deathrow

I think they finally realized what happened ^_^

U mAd $oNy?

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
seems a bit late to be doing this, might have prevented quite a bit if they had filed claims sooner, but it may deter future endeavor's

Deathrow

seems a bit late to be doing this, might have prevented quite a bit if they had filed claims sooner, but it may deter future endeavor's

Don't think so. The whole "legal process" takes quite a while if you know anything about law. I think Team failOverflow and Geohot still have a lot of time to produce hacks before their court date.

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
Don't think so. The whole "legal process" takes quite a while if you know anything about law. I think Team failOverflow and Geohot still have a lot of time to produce hacks before their court date.

true enough, but that doesn't mean they couldn't have publicly announced their taking legal action against them

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
And to think Geohot didn't want to support piracy because it might not get him a job in the industry or with Sony.... (at least that's what I think he was aiming for)

Adiuvo

Companies don't often issue a press release when they sue someone. There's no point, since it doesn't effect the public.

LocutusEstBorg

In the document, Sony says that unlike the monetary loss caused to them by the defendants' actions, they only request that the defendants cease distribution of the illicit tools. How sweet.

I think that means they have no case from a legal standpoint, like how jailbreaking smartphones is legal.

Hellcat

Contributor
1st: they should sue the security developrs (that by now likely have lost theit jobs) as THEY were the ones screwing up

2nd: they should sue ps3-news, as they are WAY worse and actually leaking Sony (c) material - geohot didn't leak anything.

blazin

Man this is crazy, honestly if anything they should be paying Geohot...Why you ask, well since the beginning he knew the vulnerabilities and weaknesses of the ps3 for example with the Other Os option. After he made it known and had a youtube video you bet your ass sony was ready with a new update to eliminate the other OS option and also didn't include it in the new consoles...Wow all that work into getting into it they take what he did then tried to kill it with an update....
Another thing that bothers me about Big Companies is in the end we fork the court cost and bills for thier lawsuits, unlike when you have a dispute and you go to small claims and private courts the loser forks the bill..If sony does intend to sue we get stuck with the bill win or loose, Mzoft has been doing it for years so they don't mind taking them "Hackers" to court because it doesnt cost them much at all because most of their lawyers are on retainers and court cost is on the american people.
I wish Geohot all the best and I really hope that this doesn't weaken his drive not just for the ps3 but pretty much for anything because this kid has a lot of talent. Thanks!

Nader

In most european countries it's definitely legal to jailbreak a PS3 or iPhone, whatever. Mass distribution of the tools to accomplish the job however, may possibly be illegal, well at least if you take payment for it.

Kwipper

Whatever happened to remaining Anonymous when releasing hacking tools? Why did Geohot have to reveal his identity to the public in the first place. I am sure if he didn't reveal his true identity, then this lawsuit would probably have never happened to begin with.
Just my 2 cents.

Deathrow

Whatever happened to remaining Anonymous when releasing hacking tools? Why did Geohot have to reveal his identity to the public in the first place. I am sure if he didn't reveal his true identity, then this lawsuit would probably have never happened to begin with.
Just my 2 cents.

Good point. I guess cracking some of the world's best and secure systems (well not anymore XD) just goes to some people's heads. As if they need to be recognized by everyone who follows. Doesn't everyone love a good attention whore? :p

Just keep it low key and you'll probably have nothing to worry about. Although in this situation, said names don't really have to worry too much huh?