• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Gaming Sony Files Patent for In-Game Commercials

eXo

M for Messenger
Sony-Advertising-Patent.jpg

A patent filed by Sony in 2011 has been discovered and made public on NeoGAF. The patent is for in-game advertising. Now, I'm not talking about shameless ads on posters or billboards within a game's world. No, this patent idea is much sleazier.

Titled Advertisement Scheme for Use with Interactive Content (that's funny because it would be a damn scheme), the patent indicates that a message would appear onscreen during a gamer's play session warning that person that an ad would pop up shortly[...]

Continue reading: Sony Files Patent for In-Game Commercials...

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
here's how it'd play out imo:

Day 1: sony included in-game ads.
Day 2: sony sees unprecedented number of console returns.
Day 2.5: microsoft sees unprecedented number of sales, and is unable to maintain consoles in stores.

hush404

:(

@Sliver4ever. Yep... lol... right... you know cuz Microsoft doesn't like the idea of ads... you know... their user interface isn't full of them... yep.... /sarcasm.

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
@Sliver4ever. Yep... lol... right... you know cuz Microsoft doesn't like the idea of ads... you know... their user interface isn't full of them... yep.... /sarcasm.

there's a HUGE difference between the interface to your games having ads, and completely stopping gameplay to play an ad.

Robby

Los Doyers!
:(

Most of the ads on the dashboard I rarely even see because they are always small, and in the corner.

If an ad pops up while I'm playing a game, I'll be furious. If Sony does this, I wouldn't even buy a Sony gaming product. I probably won't anyways after being an owner of a PS3 in which I turn on literally twice a year.

eldiablov

Contributor
This article is ludicrous. There is no evidence that this would be implemented in a game that has been paid for. This scheme (oh no I said the word scheme) could be used in longer demos or 'trial versions' of a game, which would actually be quite good.

This just reeks of flamebait.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Oh god, these patents. I remember seeing one exactly like it for Apple a few years ago. It's so ridiculous it makes own cry from laughing.

Good find though.

Robby

Los Doyers!
Oh god, these patents. I remember seeing one exactly like it for Apple a few years ago. It's so ridiculous it makes own cry from laughing.

Good find though.
Doesn't Apple have ads in games though? I thought it had something like that. I don't buy Apple products no more so I'm not sure.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Doesn't Apple have ads in games though? I thought it had something like that. I don't buy Apple products no more so I'm not sure.

They went ahead with it? o_O I never bought anything Apple so I wouldn't know. I though it was just a silly idea that never went ahead.

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
They went ahead with it? o_O I never bought anything Apple so I wouldn't know. I though it was just a silly idea that never went ahead.

many games do submit to the freemium idea's for game development. Generally they also have a paid version which is ad free for .99$ or so.