• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Sony Patents Software Based PS2 Emulation Technology

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
ps3pricecut.jpg

It's no secret that the lack of PS2 emulation on newer PS3 units is a bit of a put-off to prospective purchasers. Especially when considering that majority of would-be PS3 owners are those that own a large library of PS2 titles. Granted, not being able to play those games isn't a deal breaker for most, but it certainly makes laying down $400 on new hardware a tougher decision.

However, it looks like Sony may be bringing to PS2 emulation to non-backwards compatible PS3 units after all, if a recently unearthed patent is any indication. The patent references a software-based technology that would allow the PS3's Cell CPU to translate or emulate code written specifically for the PS2's Emotion Engine chip.

We can only think of one reason why Sony would be experimenting with such a technology and that is backwards compatibility. That leads us to questions over implementation. Will Sony allow folks to emulate any PS2 game of their choosing or sell digital downloads of PS2 titles over the PlayStation Store? We can only hope that Sony will side towards both options. Doing so would benefit consumers across the board, those that own an expansive library of PS2 oldies as well as the younger ones that missed out on last generation's hits.

SocraticHymn

<p>Neat. Too little too late though, imo (at least for me). I was going to get a PS3, but the lack of PS2 BC was a showstopper for me. I got an xbox 360 instead.</p>
<p>Real talk: Sony is always behind the curve.</p>

january39

eXo Staff
I have a ton of PS2 titles, and makes it more appealing but i have a nagging doubt it would go on PSN store to buy rather than the BC it should have.

Have to wait and see!

Justdie

I feel safe in my BOX
<p>ok this is great news to me since my ps2 library is still goin on.

i have a whole 2 1/2 pages of games that i still want for the ps2. and if this is true then my ps3 wont be as lonely with like 200 ps2 games...</p>
<p>i'll be waiting on this.</p>

brad_snake412

<p>i hope it will something that will go on the PSN cuz i dont feel like buying another ps3 just to get BC that would be stupid cuz than its a waste of money which is bad</p>