• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Sony: Piracy On PSP Is Sickening

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
psppiracy.jpg

It's no secret that software sales on PSP have been bleak as of late. You'd be ignorant to believe that piracy levels on the handheld are not incurring a hefty dent in overall sales. Piracy isn't the only negating factor at play here, of course, but it is certainly a major one in the PSP's case.

Sony agrees - and they are publicly admitting that rampant PSP piracy is a growing concern, one that may impale the lifespan of the handheld. SCEA marketing VP Peter Dille admits outright that "most third-parties were just about ready to jump off the cliff and pull support for the platform" prior to the introduction of PSP-2000.

Seeing download statistics for popular PSP efforts such as Resistance Retribution on high-trafficked BitTorrent sites made Dille to label the present situation as "sickening."

Further to this, he made a call out to those responsible for escalating piracy numbers. "I think gamers, if they understood if this meant that a platform would go away, can we convince gamers to pay for their content? "

For their part, Sony has of course been proactive in attempting to remedy this ongoing threat to the PSP's future. Last year, they introduced the PSP-3000, which included hardware modifications that prevented the widely used Pandora Battery hack from functioning.

It's hard to say where Sony will take anti-piracy efforts from here exactly, but it seems that a greater emphasis on digital distribution is in store for the future, as rumors have suggested. Such a direction is also evident by the forthcoming UMD-less release of Patapon 2.

Catching Up With PlayStation: Peter Dille On Sony In 2009
[Gamasutra]

cory1492

<p>Well, with me they have taken the best anti-piracy (and unfortunately anti-sales) strategy they possibly could: simply don't makes games I would actually play.</p>

skparasite

BAAAAAAAAAW.

Cry moar Sony. At least they are admitting that they fucked up and that /they/ can't /deal/ with the piracy of the PSP as well as they thought.
They have slowed down with the latest psp 2000's as well as the 3000's being unhackable (for now). But now with the TIFF exploit, who knows how long that will be.

I have never seen a console/handheld where we have total control over. The coolest thing ever was when Dark Alex linked the Update button to his site to update CFW.

I'm pretty sure digital content would probably be hacked as well...so I don't think there is anything Sony can do with the PSP to save it. :/

EDIT: I don't like the way it formats when you post via the front page :p

binjam

<p>If the game price could be lower, I bet many many people were willing to pay for the "good" games. I bought every Blizzard's games. Regarding PSP, I bought DDFF(NTD$1980), The God of War(NTD$1380), and Monster hunter 2G(NTD$1480). It is about the balance of price and entertainment ability... How do Square ENIX, CAPCOM and other great game developers survive?? 3 games' price can afford a new PSP?? Maybe Sony should spend the cost of UMD R&D on providing competitive price. You are killing the non-piracy supporters.</p>

webnapster

maybe if they lower their prices and sale the good games out of the USA... in my country the cheaper PSP game is 25 US dollars.. and they only sale the bad games... I hate this place every store everywhere is full with games for that white girly box. >.<

binjam

<p>Remark:
DDFF(NTD$1980=USD$58.2), The God of War(NTD$1380=USD$40.6), and Monster hunter 2G(NTD$1480=USD$43.5).
exchange rate is USD$1:NTD$34.
The cheapest game is the "best!?" version, which is around NTD$900=USD$26.5.</p>

J

jx233

I prefer to buy UMD movies over UMD games. UMD movies only cost $5 USD. XD

THETICK

<p>I'm agree with SONY - "Piracy is Sickening".
Piracy killing lunching new PSP's titles, which is very good and not expensive. Also that ruin on-line gameplay via persons who using nitePR and other "hacks" (kids slang) - this not make any fun, sense and that not have any explanation.
Comfort and indolent of not paying for intellectually value must be stoped.
I suppose DarkAleX and M33 Team understand that because they work on others project and no any steps to break PSP3000. They should break PSP3000 when SONY will launch next model of PSP.</p>