• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PSV Sony: PSN Accounts On Vita Tied To Memory Card, Possible To Create More Than One

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor

El Diablo

The fuck?

NeilR

eXo Admin
Enforcer Team
It's certainly better than the initial report stating that it was locked to a single account.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
It's bad for those hoping for cheaper memory card prices though. I would assume there's layers of encryption involved when a card is bound to a system, which will be next to impossible for third-parties to replicate unless the Vita is hacked.

Depending how it works, it may be impossible to reuse a card on another system as well -- which would cut out secondhand sales of cards altogether (may be what Sony is aiming for here).

Spiros

Maiki
It's bad for those hoping for cheaper memory card prices though. I would assume there's layers of encryption involved when a card is bound to a system, which will be next to impossible for third-parties to replicate unless the Vita is hacked.

Depending how it works, it may be impossible to reuse a card on another system as well -- which would cut out secondhand sales of cards altogether (may be what Sony is aiming for here).

I read a quote somewhere from a Sony rep saying that you can remove the link to a PSN account by formatting the memory stick back to factory defaults. Which, like NeilR said, is way better than the previous report of only being allowed to tie a single PSN account to a Vita system.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
I read a quote somewhere from a Sony rep saying that you can remove the link to a PSN account by formatting the memory stick back to factory defaults. Which, like NeilR said, is way better than the previous report of only being allowed to tie a single PSN account to a Vita system.

Right, but it sounds like the actual card is tied to your system as well, going by the quote from this rep anyway.

"Your PSN ID is bonded to your memory card and your memory card is bonded to your Vita"

He says you can remove the PSN ID link by restoring to default settings, but nothing is mentioned about removing the memory card to system bond. So let's say something happens to your Vita, that could mean all your game saves wouldn't be recoverable if the memory card can't be read on a different unit... nor can you exchange memory cards with another person.

Then again, it is the same deal with PS3, since the HDD is "bonded" to a system on format.

Personally, I don't really have an issue with it. If you're concerned about saves just back up them regularly. I'm not a fan of more DRM being added into the mix, though.