• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Sony Pulls PS3 Firmware 2.4, Removes Update File From Servers

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
profile_en.jpg

Update: Sony has posted the following message on their online help desk in response to the issues surrounding firmware 2.4:[blockquote2]The PLAYSTATION 3 system software version 2.40 has been temporarily taken offline and will not be available for download as our engineers examine any possible issues with this update. The Knowledge Center will be updated with information as it becomes available; please check back here for further details.[/blockquote2]
It seems as if a rash of reported issues with the recently released PS3 firmware 2.40 update has subsequently led Sony to pull the firmware from its Network Update servers. PS3 owners not on the latest firmware are now asked to simply download the previously released 2.36 update.

The issues have not been isolated incidents, as a number of PS3 owners over at the official Sony forums were greeted with an icon-less XMB screen after installing the 2.4 update, even after completely turning off and rebooting their console. The fix? Format the PS3’s hard disk drive, which obviously isn’t a very convenient workaround.

Sony has not issued a statement yet in regards to why the firmware was pulled. We'll update when (or if) they do.

d1ddy

its not that , its the game sharing . people can download psn games on one account and play it on another one . I can confirm that after my update my xmb wasnt gone

Hanzo_f19

[insert custom user title here]
<p>Yeah, I heard that only hapened because people downloaded a few hours after it was launched, overloading the servers, which made the files corrupted.
I though that the PS3 would check the md5, or am I worng?</p>
<p>Anyways, I download half hour after it launched and I got 0 problems</p>

ekmuas

<p>no corruption Eruption here. I think its still kind of lame how you can't play music and play games at the same time yet :(</p>

Richlando

<p>That does suck..I'd gladly send them a music.prx to work on if that speeds up the hope I have of that ever working like it does on the psp.</p>

`Rage`

<p>@RJC4LIFE</p>
<p>To my knowledge, there isn't any publicly cracked Sony Official PS3 Firmware, and the Music.prx wouldn't work on the PS3 regardless, just being the fact that the PS3 is so much more advanced then the PSP.</p>
<p>And tbh, I'd rather have the game sound effects over some music blasting through the speakers.. Unless I was just messing around the giant city in GTAIV.</p>
<p>Also, unless i'm mistaken, games like Burnout Paradise has an ingame music option that you can stream from your XMB music folders.</p>

icedman204

Sony TEases with a Firmware, then takes it away.... oh well would rather have them fix the problem then create new ones.

`Rage`

<p>Finally was able to track down a copy of 2.40 and upgraded it with a Jump-Drive.</p>
<p>As of 5 minutes ago, I'm rolling 2.40, everything works perfectly, ingame XMB is awesome.</p>
<p>Kinda makes you wonder if the people that are complaining to Sony about their Bricked PS3's probably yanked out their power cord during the update. [/Sarcasm]</p>
<p>All jokes aside, I haven't heard any replies about a bricked PS3 from this update from any of the major Playstation Fansites.</p>
<p>Everyone claims it to be working flawlessly.</p>
<p>Makes you wonder if there's something about the firmware that Sony didn't want noticed, cause the "Multiple Bricked PS3's" cover story really isn't convincing me.</p>
<p>But that's just a theory..</p>
<p>It is true that integrating a more experimental/advance firmware update into the PS3 may cause the CPU percentage levels to fluctuate, causing an improperly installing.</p>
<p>*Shrugs* - Well I'm happy with 2.40 :D</p>