• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PS3 Sony Targets More PS3 Jailbreak Retailers

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
sonyps3firmwareotherosremoval.jpg

In Sony's ongoing legal crackdown against PSJailbreak and related devices, the company has filed a second round of court orders that target several retailers of the USB dongle, including those selling variations or "clones" of it, such as PS3Break.

Specifically, SCEA points out that these devices circumvent the PS3's TPMs (short for trusted platform module) under the DMCA.

The documents, once again unearthed by garyopa of website PSX-Scene, contest that "the sole function of the PS3 Jailbreak device is to circumvent SCEA's TPMs in order to enable the PS3 System to create unauthorized and illegal copies of copyrighted video game software."

Various user guides from forums detailing how install and run PKG files - such as the "Backup Manager" have been stamped as evidence to support Sony's claim[...]

Continue reading: Sony Targets More PS3 Jailbreak Retailers...

MenaceInc

Staff Member
Sole function? Bugger off.

Hopefully this washes over when the court sees that it's the same as jailbreak an iPhone which IS allowed.

Tenshigami

Dear Sony: Screw off.
I'm still on 3.41 not because I want to pirate games, but for the sole reason that the guys translating Tales of Graces might do Tales of Graces F as well, because Namco Bandai are a bunch of frigging retards.
I don't even have a jailbreaker yet, because it hasn't been ported to anything I actually own, and I have no immediate use for it.
Also, due to the fact that I'm not interested in this for piracy, I might end up having to update my firmware if a game requires it, unless USB Firmware Loader is updated to fully redirect all routines.

El Diablo

I read this on psx-scene

"In this round of court documents filed by SCEA, they are showing the courts they own the rights to the names "Playstation, PSP, PS, PS3" so they are pushing the courts for speedy discovery for any website that uses this trademarked "letters / names" in their domain names."

Does sony seriously fucking own the right to "PS" and have the ability to sue/shut down websites that use it in their name?

ekmuas

"Various user guides from forums detailing how install and run PKG files - such as the "Backup Manager" have been stamped as evidence to support Sony's claim. Unlike the last filing, open-source variations of the hack such as PSGroove and PSFreedom, went without a mention this time around."
Awww they're so kind to inform us on how to use it thats sweet :D at least they're teaching us. Come on Sony,Microsoft,Nintendo, and all other game system companies. Technology will tend to grow and grow and become easier for people to use and understand. You can't help it.

Robby

Los Doyers!
About 90% of the PS3 scene wants this only for piracy so I see Sony's side. Only 10% will use it for homebrew and other purposes, but the mass majority wants free PS3 games. It is just so tempting to not have to spend so much money on games when you can get them for free.

Unlike the iPhone jailbreaking scene, the majority of users don't do it for piracy, they want to be able to use customizations, and enhancements.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Sony owns the right to PS, PS3 etc by association. Technically, they can shut down any site using those marks or force them to change names, assuming it is PlayStation-related. Apple and Microsoft have been known to do this on occasion. The line on trademark enforcement blurs when it is an unrelated site (see the mikerowesoft case).

PSPPS

I am the owner of PSP Pit Stop.com. WOW... But coming after me because someone may use it for piracy..., this is crazy. I don't condone piracy but have as much control over some using it to brake the law as gun shop has over someone using the gun they sold them to commit robbery or murder.

I do believe that people have the right to protect their investment. The should be able to make back-up copies of the media that they obtained legally for their own use.
I do realize that now I will have to change my domain name, but I will maintain the parts repair side of my business. I guess we will see what pans out of this whole thing. I really wish I had the time and money to fight this.