• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PS3 Sony Wants To Subpoena PS3 Hack Sites, Other Hackers In Legal Crosshairs

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
gavel.jpg

Guns are a blazing over at Sony's legal branch, with a new round of filings that indicate the firm is seeking to subpoena user accounts and related data from several information havens for PS3 hacks. This includes the likes of Slashdot, YouTube, Twitter, PSX-Scene, and Github. Sony wants the sites to furnish "all information and documents" that reproduce "server logs, IP address logs, account
information, account access records, and application or registration forms."

This comes as part of an effort to expand the ongoing case it is building against the PS3 hacking scene[...]

Continue reading: Sony Wants To Subpoena PS3 Hack Sites, Other Hackers In Legal Crosshairs...

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
I believe Sony may be going overboard with this and while I don't agree, I don't blame them. Most "homebrew" enthuasiasts on the PS3 Scene are pirates, and most of the hackers only care about backups on the CFWs (except GeoHot and one or two)

cory1492

Kezra, I don't agree and I do blame them. They are bringing suit against people who paid for their product (customers) and that sends the wrong message entirely in any consumer driven world - especially when you consider the fact the only thing they have to gain by doing this is lawyer bills (it's too late).

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Kezra, I don't agree and I do blame them. They are bringing suit against people who paid for their product (customers) and that sends the wrong message entirely in any consumer driven world - especially when you consider the fact the only thing they have to gain by doing this is lawyer bills (it's too late).

If you consider what happened to the PSP with all the hacking, no I don't blame them. They're trying to prevent a second PSP disaster. Not that it'll help though

Nader

I think cory1492 is pretty right, it's much too late now. They should focus their efforts on their next console instead, and hire the best hackers to work for them to improve the security of their next offspring.

murkawicz

How can they be going overboard with this? They are not even close to going overboard. This is their sales we are talking about, and second most their customers. Before you know it, online gaming on the PS3 is going to be corrupted, due to all the hackers and spammers spreading like wildfire. Then everyone is going to want these hacks. I completely support Sony's efforts and will be with them the whole way. They created the PS3, we should not be altering it.

EndymionDave

While I salute Sony's effort, one would think it's going to be such a waste of resources. No matter how you go about it, nothing is going to keep the hacks from completely obliterating the once regarded legend of unhackable consoles. It's going to be very difficult for them from now on. This is not going to be a war for redemption--this is going to be a war of saving face.

murkawicz

<a rel="nofollow" href="http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/sony-hunting-ps3-hackers-animals/comment-page-1/#comment-17942">[attackofthefanboy.com]</a>

Aceboy

Sorry Sony Sympathizers, but it IS too late. I'm an expat living in Thailand and I just bought a modded PS3 last week. The copy games that I've picked up work perfectly. I'll repeat .... It's too late! There's nothing that Sony can do now!!

GPUX

The PS3 falling to the sword of the hackers was inevitable and Sony only hastened the process when it removed other OS functionality.

Adiuvo

Sorry Sony Sympathizers, but it IS too late. I'm an expat living in Thailand and I just bought a modded PS3 last week. The copy games that I've picked up work perfectly. I'll repeat .... It's too late! There's nothing that Sony can do now!!

Of course there are things they can do; sue the people responsible like they're doing now. That would send out a message if they were convicted.

Spiros

Maiki
Of course there are things they can do; sue the people responsible like they're doing now. That would send out a message if they were convicted.

I still don't understand where these hackers broke the law. For what I can tell, the same laws apply from when PSP hacking was popular, aslong as you don't release anything containing Sony's own code, then you're not breaking any laws. Am I wrong?

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
There really aren't any concrete laws forbidding what was done, at least to my knowledge. Although the "hacks" have substantial affect on the PS3 and potentially the PlayStation market with piracy being easier now than ever before. I'm not sure they have any case at all. I'm surprised only SCEA (Sony Computer Entertainment of America) has taken action so far. I would've expected SCEE or other branches of SCE to attempt to take legal action; is it only within the US that Sony believes it has a case at all?

El Diablo

It's because the entire basis of their case is "The hackers violated the DMCA" with all of their bullshit circumstantial evidence. Without the DMCA, they have nothing for their case which is why they can't do much anywhere else. Only reason they were able to ban the jailbreak in Australia is because their copyright laws over there are even stricter I believe.

Spiros

Maiki
There really aren't any concrete laws forbidding what was done, at least to my knowledge. Although the "hacks" have substantial affect on the PS3 and potentially the PlayStation market with piracy being easier now than ever before. I'm not sure they have any case at all. I'm surprised only SCEA (Sony Computer Entertainment of America) has taken action so far. I would've expected SCEE or other branches of SCE to attempt to take legal action; is it only within the US that Sony believes it has a case at all?

That's my guess, with the DMCA I think the US has stronger copyright laws than Europe, I guess that's why Dark-Alex didn't have much trouble from Sony (other than threats).

Adiuvo

Wasn't most of this based off of a leaked Sony SDK? It seems that it would provide an avenue for a lawsuit.