• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Gaming Square Enix Working On Five New IPs

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
squareenix1.jpg

Alongside churning out sequels of tried-and-true properties, Square Enix's stable of studios have a total of 5 all-new IPs in development. The tidbit was revealed in a chart detailing the company's fiscal year 2011 results.

According to the aformentioned financials, the company's Tokyo studio is working on two new IPs, while Eidos Montreal, Crystal Dynamics, IO Interactive, and Wimbledon are all targeting one IP each.

There's of course no word on when we can expect any of these new properties -- considering they are only 'target additions' at this point[...]

Continue reading: Square Enix Working On Five New IPs...

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Oh.my.god.

If they can't get the Final Fantasy games right and they take ages to put them out. Imagine having their teams working on a whole bunch of games with the quality of Mindjack. I'm fearful already.

Bran

Yell
Oh.my.god.

If they can't get the Final Fantasy games right and they take ages to put them out. Imagine having their teams working on a whole bunch of games with the quality of Mindjack. I'm fearful already.

Are you dumb? These are all different teams they bought, they are not going to make some global effort toward ONE game. There is a reason SquareEnix bought up all these NA and EU developers.

Do you expect all games to be final fantasy? That's like saying Just Cause 2 was and Deus Ex 3 will be terrible because Square can't focus on one thing some other team is doing.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Are you dumb? These are all different teams they bought, they are not going to make some global effort toward ONE game. There is a reason SquareEnix bought up all these NA and EU developers.

Do you expect all games to be final fantasy? That's like saying Just Cause 2 was and Deus Ex 3 will be terrible because Square can't focus on one thing some other team is doing.

Actually no I'm not dumb, however I have not passed my point across correctly though (since I was doing something else).

What I meant is that Square-Enix' standard of quality has greatly decreased over the years (mainly due to the fact they want to get many games out quick) and that has been quite clear in releases of new IP's developed by them such as The Last Remnant, Mindjack and NIER (even Kane & Lynch 2 sucked, but then again the first one wasn't really that good anyway xD). The fact that Square has been buying up as many dev teams as they can is just to strengthen their position in the gaming industry and to be able to own a few good IP's (Tomb Raider, Deus Ex, Legacy of Kain) that will probably be good and rake in some millions so they can waste it all in dubious new IPs. First then need to fix their current IPs before delving into creating a bunch of new ones.

Obviously they aren't going to concentrate all global effort towards one game xD I haven't play Just Cause 2, but I do have a feeling that Deus Ex 3 is going to be good, even if I do have a soft spot for bashing on Squeenix lately.

I hope that clarifies what I meant.

Roe

Actually no I'm not dumb, however I have not passed my point across correctly though (since I was doing something else).

What I meant is that Square-Enix' standard of quality has greatly decreased over the years (mainly due to the fact they want to get many games out quick) and that has been quite clear in releases of new IP's developed by them such as The Last Remnant, Mindjack and NIER (even Kane & Lynch 2 sucked, but then again the first one wasn't really that good anyway xD). The fact that Square has been buying up as many dev teams as they can is just to strengthen their position in the gaming industry and to be able to own a few good IP's (Tomb Raider, Deus Ex, Legacy of Kain) that will probably be good and rake in some millions so they can waste it all in dubious new IPs. First then need to fix their current IPs before delving into creating a bunch of new ones.

Obviously they aren't going to concentrate all global effort towards one game xD I haven't play Just Cause 2, but I do have a feeling that Deus Ex 3 is going to be good, even if I do have a soft spot for bashing on Squeenix lately.

I hope that clarifies what I meant.

I don't think that them working on 5 new IPs will take anything from their other work. I think working on any new IP is a pretty big risk and the only way to find out if it'll be successful is to release it out there and get feedback. There aren't many publishers out there these days that will take big risks like this and I believe it can only be good for the industry.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
I don't think that them working on 5 new IPs will take anything from their other work. I think working on any new IP is a pretty big risk and the only way to find out if it'll be successful is to release it out there and get feedback. There aren't many publishers out there these days that will take big risks like this and I believe it can only be good for the industry.

I totally agree. I'm just fearful of the quality of those same IPs (that's what I've been saying xD).

God knows the gaming world needs more new IPs, since it seems every year we see more of the same.

Bran

Yell
NIER is cool.

I get what you are saying, but it all depends on the studio that is producing it. Square Enix is a huge company and has quite a few studios that make really good games.

Eidos Montreal, Crystal Dynamics are two good ones that I know of, who knows about the those though, I don't remember anything OI has done and have not heard of Wimbledon.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
NIER is cool.

I get what you are saying, but it all depends on the studio that is producing it. Square Enix is a huge company and has quite a few studios that make really good games.

Eidos Montreal, Crystal Dynamics are two good ones that I know of, who knows about the those though, I don't remember anything OI has done and have not heard of Wimbledon.

IO is responsible for the Kane & Lynch series. =P

But I would love a grand comback of Crystal Dynamics with a new Legacy of Kain.

Bran

Yell
I too would love a Square funded Crystal Dynamics produced Legacy of Kain, it would be amazing. The series is clearly not dead since they keep throwing Kain and Raziel references in random Tomb Raider things.

I thought the Kain & Lynch series were innovative but poorly executed. If Square threw some new management into their studio I'm sure they could produce some great games.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
FF7 isn't a new IP though so I doubt it's related to this.
Also, given how SE games have been of late, I'm sure they'd find some way of screwing up FF7.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
FF7 isn't a new IP though so I doubt it's related to this.
Also, given how SE games have been of late, I'm sure they'd find some way of screwing up FF7.

They even managed to screw up Parasite Eve.

Bran

Yell
Sadly a new Legacy of Kain does not count as a "new" IP. Or I'd be excited for that.

I'd give up all the Final Fantasy in the world if it meant more LoK

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Square-Enix, however, was melting down before the earthquake. Before the quake, they canceled their weirdo shooting game Gun Loco (they didn't announce the cancellation until a week after the quake). Remember that? Well, let me tell you something. When they say, in Japan, that a game has been "in development" for a year, they usually mean it's been being kicked around in pre-production for half a decade. In addition, they're working hard on some games for three years before they announce them, at which time they say they've been working on it for six months. These things get canceled all the time without you ever hearing about them. I know that Square-Enix had a slew of exciting projects in the works for several years, and that they suddenly canceled the lot of them around the end of 2010 for reasons of their not being Final Fantasy enough. Apparently, as previously hypothesized, they don't understand that happy accidents are an art, not an industry.

http://kotaku.com/5803573/

Best article Kotaku has put out in quite some time.