• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Star Trek

amrcidiot

MFM Survivor
I've had the chance to see Star Trek before it's original release date due to my involvement in my town's movie theatre. Since every theatre (should) run through films that are first runs (meaning they are the first theatre to play that specific print. Movies are moved from theatre to theatre within the same company.) to make sure that everything is in order and is okay for the audience to view (no film/audio problems, etc.), I usually watched the run-throughs with my friend who works at the theatre and is the owner's son.

Tonight's movie was (obviously) Star Trek and I have to admit, at first I wasn't too excited to go. Now, you have to understand, I've never been a huge Star Trek fan, but this film is by far the best movie I have seen in theatres this year.

For one, the movie features a terrific cast and the soundtrack is pretty kick ass. The entire movie is just complete action. It gets a little confusing until you can really sit and think about what's going on.

At the risk of ruining it for any of you, I'm going to end my post. But first, I'll leave you with this:
I suggest that you watch this movie. I've never really watched a lot of the show, so I'm not sure how true to everything it is. So, I'm interested in hearing opinions when you see the movie.

Star Trek (2009)

Hellcat

Contributor
The movie is crap, and judged as a ST movie it's UBER CRAP.
nuff said.

The list of things they did wrong is actually two pages long.

As pure SciFi action adventure that movie might actually be entertaining, but it should not carry the name "Star Trek"....

Tsunaii

eMummeh
i wouldnt mind seeing this actually, would be interesting to see what they did with it. i liked the original films, and have seen a majority of the series', and actually, i am concerned it might be a let down, so, really, things can only be better than I expect.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
i wouldnt mind seeing this actually, would be interesting to see what they did with it. i liked the original films, and have seen a majority of the series', and actually, i am concerned it might be a let down, so, really, things can only be better than I expect.
Most major newspapers in the US are singing this series reboot praises. There's a nice 4 minute video review with a few spoilers if you're interested. It touches on the fact that the serious fanboys really have a moot point in trying to argue that it breaks from the historic series due to a plot point that changes everything for this Star Trek universe.

Star Trek movie review - Star Trek showtimes - The Boston Globe - The Boston Globe

Hellcat

Contributor
You can't just "reboot" a series that established it's universe for almost 50 years now.
It just doesn't work.

Cryox

Bro.
I read about what they all changed and/or did wrong, that's enough for me.
That's like judging a book by its cover. I am not a fan at all of Star Trek, but i have to admit. This movie looks really good. I talked to some kids at school (who would never dare be seen by anyone at that movie) and they admitted that it actually looked like a good movie. I will probably see this this weekend.

Bill

Saw it.
Wasn't too fantastically impressed with it.

Especially the fact that all previous installments were very careful to be scientifically accurate. There were some parXXXXXX here...

Hellcat

Contributor
Well, like I said, as random SciFi action movie it might be pretty entertaining.
For someone who never was really into ST, it actually IS just a random SciFi action movie ;)

But they should've called it "A random adventure in space" instead of trying to get more easy $$$ by using the name "Star Trek"....

Bill

Oh yeah, completely agree with that.
But your standard everyday trekkie probably won't like what they've done with it.

spike021

iPhone Developer (prev. PSP Dev)
Well, like I said, as random SciFi action movie it might be pretty entertaining.
For someone who never was really into ST, it actually IS just a random SciFi action movie ;)

But they should've called it "A random adventure in space" instead of trying to get more easy $$$ by using the name "Star Trek"....

Sorry Hellcat, but I really think you should try it. I saw it a couple hours ago and enjoyed it immensely. Acting is superb, as well as sound and visual effects. There's also a good amount of humor, and even some romance for those who are light-hearted :D While yes, the story isn't exactly the same as the original, I believe that it could work for at least one or two more movies.

Riorio99

I'm not a big Star Trek fan, but I do enjoy the original series, and I'm absolutely stoked for this.
My friend, who is an enormous fan of TNG, is undecided, but says it still looks like an excellent Sci-Fi film.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
I saw it earlier this week. Do yourself a favor and give the film a day in court Hellcat.

It's very well put together.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
I saw it earlier this week. Do yourself a favor and give the film a day in court Hellcat.

It's very well put together.

Agreed. I'm not a huge fan of the time shifting crap in it (always hard to follow no matter what it is in) but I actually came out of the movie very satisfied with it and might even watch it again. I went with my brothers, my dad and my uncle. I've watched star trek a few times when I was younger and both my dad and uncle have watched the original and they came out very pleased with the end result. They had no major grips with it and the little things made a huge difference (references to the original series, etc.).

Definetly a movie that you should catch, even if you "hate" Star Trek (as I thought I did)