• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Stay off of Live if you have a modded console! Nov 10 08

twelve

I'm not dead
Pokemanz master said:
wow, I wounder how many users got an modded console? that wasn't theres..
Also don't they just fix old parts and remake them for the 360? if so I might got an modded 360...>_>
Anyway to check?
Download a game and see if it works.

El Xando

"Dam whippersnapper"
Anymore news about this? I was going to mod my 360 at the weekend but now I'm wondering whether to or not...

twelve

I'm not dead
Over on x-scene there's speculation that it's the Saints Row 2 review copy that's got people banned but Granite hasn't been banned.

Also it seems to be predominantly BenQ drives getting banned, but there are other drives too.

Basically at the moment no one knows anything for sure.

El Xando

"Dam whippersnapper"
What about people who have never played review copies or copies from other regions? So only after the game has come out in their region. Are they banned? If so it's obviously not review copy or early playing related...

twelve

I'm not dead
Dunno they seem pretty random.

One theory granite has is that they're old console IDs that got detected before and during the server upgrade it highlighted that they hadn't been banned yet and so they've been banned now.

Pokemanz master

Lowering your IQ
So we can conform its from the server upgrade right? Only thing makes me wounder why MS waited so long...

Pokemanz master

Lowering your IQ
I don't know if you guys read this or not...

"I’ve gotten a few messages and seen some forum threads pop up on console bannings so I thought I’d post and let folks know what’s up. In our our continued effort to keep gameplay safe and secure for our community of more than 14 million members, Microsoft has taken action against a small percentage of Xbox 360 consoles that have been illegally modified in order to play pirated games. You should know that modifying your Xbox 360 console is also a violation of the Xbox LIVE terms of use, will void your warranty and result in a ban from Xbox LIVE. The health of the video game business depends on customers paying for the genuine products and services they receive, both from manufacturers and the local companies that support them. We will continue to employ and bolster anti-piracy security measures to counter piracy in the gaming industry and improve security in the Xbox LIVE community. "​
Link:http://majornelson.com/archive/2008/11/11/xbox-360-console-banning.aspx
I don't think its anything major, just something MS got up to do say hey lets stop pricey.
What methods they use ban the console I don't know.

twelve

I'm not dead
I'd put money on it not being a coincidence that the bans have happened at the same time as the server upgrade. But I don't think the server upgrade is what caused the bans.

Pokemanz master

Lowering your IQ
twelve said:
I'd put money on it not being a coincidence that the bans have happened at the same time as the server upgrade. But I don't think the server upgrade is what caused the bans.
Same, its not coincidence I think MS using this gain profit gain since NXE is out next weak.

androidkaita

Drop The Gun
I have a question, is it just your console that gets banned or your gamertag too?

El Xando

"Dam whippersnapper"
So has the reason everyone been found out been found yet? Was it playing games before release? Was it something else, if so, how did Microsoft detect it? And is there a new IXtreme firmware?

eldiablov

Contributor
Ok, rumors have been circulating that it was only the review copy of saints row 2 that got you banned. Obviously I cant confirm this as I am not banned and I didnt touch the saints row review copy :D

Mister Chief

All it is is people screwing up in one way or another either by playing games with bad SS or non-retail games etc.

The verification code sent to MS via live is exactly as it has been since the last wave as confirmed by c4eva who created ixtreme.

Since he knows this he is not going to create a new version since there is nothing new to circumvent.

Sousanator

Shockingly Delicious
Yea I played the review copy of Saints Row 2 and got banned. My friend and I are usually on Live at the same times, play the exact games and he didn't get banned. The only games I played that he didn't was Saints Row 2, and Fable 2.

Also c4eva said (on IRC) he was working on an iXtreme 1.5, but not to bother him with the ETA.