• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Symbian OS - S60

Slasher

Suck It
I am absolutely blown away by the amount of applications and things to do on all types of Symbian OS S60-running phones. Just in case you're wondering what the hell a Symbian OS is, here's something taken from wikipedia:
The S60 Platform (formerly Series 60 User Interface) is a software platform for mobile phones that runs on Symbian OS. S60 is currently amongst the leading smartphone platforms in the world. It is developed primarily by Nokia and licensed by them to other manufacturers including Lenovo, LG Electronics, Panasonic and Samsung.
It's basically a phone OS that's supported on numerous different types of phones.

So as some of you may know, I've recently gotten a Nokia N95 8gb which is running the S60 v3 system software. Before getting it, I had no idea I could download apps and other useful software to the extent of my hearts content. Well after discovering this ability, I've spent a lot of time on it downloading apps, games, and other hacking commodities.

I've picked up an SNES emulator, NES emulator, and a Gameboy advance emulator, which all run surprisingly well for a phone. The controls aren't as bad as you might imagine either, they're pretty comfortable. I've installed Python so I can now easily code any app I want in Python similar to how the PSP has LUA. I've hacked my phone allowing me to play every single N-GAGE game in existence without paying a dime. I've even switched my phones ID number allowing me to update the firmware (debranding the phone), which was helpful because the phone wasn't allowing me to update previous to this.
In addition to these awesome things, there's plenty of other sweet apps & games available for download which make the phone truly incredible (Quake!!, Pacman, Space Invaders, Weather Apps, Internet Radio, youtube app, Speaker app which speaks the time to me, marble maze accelerometer app, and a divx player just to name a few). There's tons to do.

If you check out here, there's a bunch of downloads to start. All of the downloads there are meant with the N95 in mind, but they should all work fine on any S60 v3 phone as well.

Here's a vid of some games in action YouTube - Nokia N95 8 GB

I was just wondering if anybody else has a Symbian OS phone and knew about all of this? It's pretty sweet and I'm having a lot of fun with it lately! :tup:

Craig Fairfax

illuminati Vereran
i have yet to sit down and mess with all of the things my phone(s) can do.
I really should mess around with more then just themes.

NEvolution

N95Users.com

S60v3 was pretty fun when I had the N95. Now I'm waiting for all those apps to be converted to S60v5 so I can use it on my 5800 lol.

Savagefreak

$ ./savage.sh
I've been messing around for some time now on my N70.
I've changed the product code so it would update to Music Edition.
So basicly my phone can do a lot more then it should be.
But I've been looking for some Bluetooth hacks lately.
Just to fuck around with some friends =D
Any rec's?

Slasher

Suck It
I've got blooover 2 and bluetooth file browser :D

EDIT - I haven't actually tried it on someone, but apparently they work. Blooover is an app that grabs the other persons text messages I think, and file browser allows you to browse the other phone allowing you to see pictures or whatever. I think Blooover also allows you to make phone calls with the other phone and to turn off their phone, though im not totally sure.

Check out here, I've gotten alot of my apps there

Moose

Meta Moose
Thanks for the links Slasher, I just recently got my Nokia 5800 and am looking for some good applications for the Symbian S60 OS. :)

Arvis

@Moose: I can point you to the right direction, 5th edition Symbian is pretty new, but new stuff keeps coming. ;)

S60 is really powerful, high-end devices with OMAP CPUs can even run and play with very stable and good FPS Quake 1/2/3, it's really awesome. Only thing i dislike is that Nokia don't seem to put Xenon flashes for new cam-phones, instead they use crappy LEDs. Good that i got one. :p

LocutusEstBorg

I've got blooover 2 and bluetooth file browser :D

EDIT - I haven't actually tried it on someone, but apparently they work. Blooover is an app that grabs the other persons text messages I think, and file browser allows you to browse the other phone allowing you to see pictures or whatever. I think Blooover also allows you to make phone calls with the other phone and to turn off their phone, though im not totally sure.

Check out here, I've gotten alot of my apps there

This one is better. Lets you do all kinds of crap.
http://www.mobicreed.com/2009/05/04/super-bluetooth-hack-2009/

Its J2ME though, but it works.

WillyVWade

I had an E71 (BEST PHONE EVAR!) but it 'disappeared' :(
Now using an E63 (BABY VERSION OF THE BEST PHONE EVAR)

Mobbler is one I use a lot.

Anyone know if you can convince the iPlayer that an E63 is an E71 (It's the same just without GPS/HDSPA)

Arvis

Python is indeed a nice thing to work on and pretty simple do use
Something I've made:
3e4b877b979eed9b29aa5ec6c4c0e.png

For those who want to mod/hack (that means change it's appearance, get patches, get unsigned apps to run), see camera samples to see which is the best camera-device, disucuss new Symbian devices, see latest games and applications or just chat i suggest to check Symbian-Freak, largest Symbian community, There is way more you can learn about what Symbian devices are capable of. :)