• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

The Swine Flu

FreePlay

The swine flu is not descended from the Spanish flu. It's a combination of the genes in the normal swine flu, the bird flu, and the human flu.

Nothing is going to happen. Carry on.

Sullivan

The swine flu is not descended from the Spanish flu. It's a combination of the genes in the normal swine flu, the bird flu, and the human flu.

ya! I haven't seen you for ever, the one and only, the genius, freeplay.

Slasher

Suck It
Those numbers sound a bit large, although could have happened. But then again, in 1918, not as many people were concerned about health, so they were not into hand washing and stuff. Plus, this was Spanish people, who lived in villages with no antibiotics and stuff like that.

The Spanish flu didn't just happen in Spain. Ignorance to the max.
It was a worldwide influenza pandemic, that yes, killed millions and millions of people.

Take this with a grain of salt since it's coming from wikipedia, but apparently this swine flu is a reassortment of several strains of influenza A virus subtype H1N1. H1N1 has mutated into various strains, one of which was the Spanish Flu.

It's not a direct descendant of the Spanish flu, but it's from the same strain which mutated and caused the Spanish flu.

Zx30

Beto
Plus you have those crazy drug wars going on down their to make it worse. I can already see the happy wedding. Constant gun fire and blood curdling screams in the distance. People racing down the aisle as to not disrupt anything by coughing or letting the diarrhea get the best of them. Sounds fun, can i get an invite :p

Exactly. I'm already thinking of canceling my whole invitation. Fuck it. You're wedding is not worth MY life. lol.

If one more thing happens in Mexico between now and that date, I'm canceling for f'ing sure.

Sullivan

Exactly. I'm already thinking of canceling my whole invitation. Fuck it. You're wedding is not worth MY life. lol.

If one more thing happens in Mexico between now and that date, I'm canceling for f'ing sure.

I am not to scared about this, I wash my hands all the time, and I am a clean person, so I don't think I have a high risk at getting this, but then again, theirs always that person who will pass it a long.

And, wait, two members? Ones having a wedding and the others coming, thats cool.

MiKeY188

S For So Not Mature
my god whats gonna happen with this new bug found in mexico? aparently 2 people in scotland have it :( so perhaps the uk is screwed. I wonder if a cure will be found for it (i hope there is!!!)

Chathurga

frplw.gif

This thread is now about Pandemic 2.

But seriously, the only deaths are in Mexico so far before the flu was widely known about. Until deaths start occurring in other parts of the world I'll leave my tin foil hat in my drawer and chalk all this up to the crazy media.

Riorio99

I am totally un-worried. With the medical care and such available in developed countries, such as the UK and the USA, I think that the infections can be stopped dead in their tracks by simple things like calling off transport from infected countries, and supplying masks to those infected. To be honest, it really is as simple as covering your face when you sneeze.

Joey

It's my understanding that the only people actually die from this flu are people who's immune systems were already compromised (the young, and elderly). I'm 20 and healthy, so I'm not worried in the least bit.

James.

User Not Found
It's my understanding that the only people actually die from this flu are people who's immune systems were already compromised (the young, and elderly). I'm 20 and healthy, so I'm not worried in the least bit.
That's where you're wrong.
The immune system goes into overdrive, and it kills the infected person.
I think its called a cytokine storm

Slasher

Suck It

I don't know much about this particular flu, but I know that the Spanish flu was oddly enough the exact opposite.

People with healthy immune systems were at the most risk since the Spanish flu actually I believe caused the immune system to erratically overreact which would then cause death.

Cryox

Bro.
Conspiracy theorist bullshit. You cannot ever get a virus from a dead-virus vaccine.

My dad got the flu about a week or two after getting the shot. He thinks the shot still had live flu cells or w/e in it, but i think it was just a different strain he got or he already had it and it was dormant or something.

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
It's the flu...I don't see why people are overreacting. The flu, in nature, is deadly..only with lack of health care and sanitation. I mean, I've had the flu a few times and you get over it. From what I can tell it's just the flu and you'll get over it, if you go to the doctor. The only thing you have to fear is if you live in a third-world country.

Correct me if I'm wrong.